AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appropriate Eye Color for Snowflakes?

Registered Member

Default Re:Appropriate Eye Color for Snowflakes?

Here's some snow whites from Penang. One grew very fast the others much slower. The blue became less intense with age. I sold these to a friend at 2". The larger is 4" at about 6 months of age. They were feed only CBW. The tank crash resently and lost all of them
    White pigeons(marlboro lights, white butterfly) have red eyes, snowflake and snow white have white eyes and come from browns. Ken

Very nice. Good shape and color. Would not mind a few those myself.

Mike

Ken, I agree with you for the most part on how the snowflake was derived. Wild browns wer bred with Ghosts. F1 -100% brown. F2 a few whites. F3 take the whites and interbreed. F4 100% white.Take F4 and line cross to avoid too much inbreeding weak and possibly deformed recessive -gened progeny. Whites are the dominant gene. When breeding anything with whites--it becomes a variation on a theme. In Duisburg, there were Albino Discus with Red eye this year--price--$700 for a single 3" fish. No, I didn't buy any!!!

However, The originator of the snowflake did not use the combination above to achieve the same results. Sly had corrected me on this in one of my articles and proved true. I do not remember the actual crossing at my advanced age, so I will defer to Sly once again. Joe

Registered Member

Hey Joe, If your advanced. I'm in trouble! I thought I was still a young guy
    Hey Mike, Once you get set back up I'll get you in contact with my Penang supplier who raise the snow whites. They are a little expensive but worth every penny. He has a limited supply and I sell out very fast every time I get them. (His fish are very clean!! Never break down.) Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12