AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen tanks

Default Oxygen tanks

Where am I able to purchase a small oxygen tank? I only ship fish aybe 10-20 times a year. And I just need to find the small tanks if possible. Thanks

Bruce

Default Re:Oxygen tanks

Go to your local welding store. They usually have a variety of bottles with oxygen.

HTH
    Miles

Registered Member

go to a place where they sell medical supplies or better yet a place that sells welding supplies. you can get a small one like a "d" size, which our ambulance service uses. you can either buy the tanks or lease them. you can probably get a used one fairly reasonable. also let them know what you are using it for so you get the right hookup.

denny

Registered Member

Bruce
    Welding supply places carry them and can fill them. You will want to get the valve with the balloon filler.
    Here on the west coast mine cost $129 for the steel bottle and the valve, the small size will last you a long time.
    Dennis

Would a hardware store sell these tanks. And when you say medical store, what kinds of medical stores? Thanks

Bruce

Bruce

I dont think you'll find anything at a hardware store. And from what Ive heard...medical grade oxygen is WAY more expensive than welding grade....I think most people use welding grade (im not sure what the difference is)

Tony

Registered Member

Your not going to find the oxygen in a hardware store. You either need to go to a welding supply store or a store where medical supplies are sold. The difference between to air is how clean or pure it is. Trust me the medical stuff is expensive. What I use is my scuba tanks in an emergency. I get them filled at the dive shop in my area but you need to be a diver to get this done. ALso your tanks have to be certified as dive safe every 5 years to get them filled. It's too much of a hassel for the everyday person to do.
    George

Hi Bruce,
    I went the way of a welding supply store, aqnd leased a tank for $60. + $10.00 to fill it+ $50.00 deposit on a regulator.

For the amount you are using it, you could probably get away with an oxygenator they use in homebrewing...

Midwest brewing supplies
    5701 W.36th street
    St. Louis Park, MN 55416
    1-888-449-2739

www.midwestsupplies.com

wish I had found this before I leased my tank!

hth,
    al

Registered Member

George
    Diving tanks are filled with compressed air, Not oxygen.
    Dennis

Registered Member

Bruce
    Your best bet probably is the welding shop.
    Im a Respiratory Therapist and I know here in Ca. you need a perscription from a M.D. to get the medical grade O2.

Paul

thats interesting brew....did you try that thingy in the add?
    i was told some medical oxygen is liquid...as opposed to gas.
    as i was gonna use my friends.

Registered Member

April

liquid O2 is the same it's just the way it's stored. If you have a friend who has a home O2 unit they usually have a Lg. unit and a small portable one to carry around with them.It's still O2, just a better and less dangerous way to store it. Don't use too much of it thou your friend might need it ;D

Paul

Registered Member

WOW... what a tough choise.. a friends life survival oxygen or air for the discus
    ahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    Only in Vancouver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both oxygen bottles/oxygen are available at welder suppliers . medical oxygenis certified to be absolutely pure, not necessary for just packing and shipping fish.

Remember this is >99% O2.

DO NOT USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME !!!!!!!

Smokey

Check out the home care company. Most rent them out for $20/tank for an "E" cyclinder. about 3 feet tall for those patients who need oxygen for palliative care for the last few months in life. Most don't need doctor's prescription. You only pay whatever you use.
    Jimmy.

Hi April,
    I haven't used it yet, but if its 99% oxygen and it keeps the billions of yeast cells active in the homebrew, it should work just fine, and take up very little room. The setup in the pic looks like it takes th common oxygen bottle sold at home depots and other hardware stores for accelerants in welding torches. I bought a bottle at homedepot, but could never find a dispenser to fit the thread..until now....maybe!

-al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast