ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Looking for Rainbow Darter

Registered Member

Default Looking for Rainbow Darter

Hi everyone! I went to the Minnesota Fish show,and there was a Etheostoma Caeruleum (I think it is called Rainbow Darter) but I can't get my mind off it almost as bad as my Discus. 8) I would like to know if any one knows about this fish and what kind of setup it likes. And where I might be able to get some! ;D
    Deb

Registered Member

Default Re:Looking for Rainbow Darter

Deb,

This is indeed a great fish. Their coloration is awesome. I live in Wisconsin and a couple of years ago, I went on a collecting trip with our local killie club. We netted different fish out of the Mukwanago river in southern Wisconsin. There were plenty of rainbow darters and I took a pair home.

They seemed to like well oxygenated water. Brine shrimp was their favorite by far, other small live foods like daphnia - never took flakes at all. I kept them in a planted tank and they did fine. You won't need a heater.

Last year I went back to the same spot and I didn't find a single darter. There were lots of muskellunge though - one swam straight into my net like a rocket! It's unfortunate that many small native species such as the darters and killies are losing out to the game fish.

If you live in Minnesota, you could probably collect your own if you look hard enough. If spring ever comes : , I'll be going back to see if I can catch some more.

good luck,
    Joel

Registered Member

It appears that this guy breeds them sometimes.....

http://jonahsaquarium.com/picecaeruleum.htm

Registered Member

Thank You ! I will be contacting him!
    Deb