ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Quarintine of new arrivals

Registered Member

Default Quarintine of new arrivals

Greetings fellow Discusheads. I have just purchased 3 new Discus and I am currently keeping them in a seperate tank for Q.T. How long do you recommend keeping them in Q.T. for ? My Q.T. tank is only 10 gallons. The fish sizes are as follows. 2",2.5", & 3.5". I was told to do daily water changes for 6 weeks. Is this necessary or would, lets say keeping them in Q.T for 3 weeks and changing the water every 2 days be enough. I have heard so many different stories that I am going nuts. Please advise. Thanx in advance for your replies. :-\ ??? :scared: Scubaboy

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Quarintine of new arrivals

Hi George:

I'd QT for at least a month with daily water changes of 50%. That's an itty bitty tank for your three discus. Now if you had a 29 or bigger you could get by with every other day 50% water changes.

And, um, unless you're real lucky your next post here will be about how one discus is picking on the others and won't let them eat. Three is a bad number, especially in that small of a tank. . . . I'd get a bigger tank and get those other white butterflys you want from Jeff and QT them all together. ( I read your other post too )

Carol

Registered Member

Hi Carol, Thanx for your quick response. I will have to do the daily thing for now. I had a 20 log but I dropped it while I was cleaning it this weekend :'(. I haven't seen any of them picking on each other as of yet, but I am sure it's coming. I will take your advice along with my friend Harriett who also suggested doing daily water changes of 50%. She, along with me have had our share of misfortune with not being patient and adding the new arrivals too quickly. It won't happen this time, I promise. Thanx again. Isn't this an awesome website ? ;D :bounce2: See ya, George.

Registered Member

I almost forgot Carol, I WILL be getting the White Butterflys. ;D

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I hope you have a camera George. I've really enjoyed RandallB's photos of discus from Jeff's shop and would love to see the ones you've brought home.
    Carol

Registered Member

I just bought an Olympus C-700 and am just learning how to use it. Mostly trial and error. I have taken some pretty good ones lately and am anxious to show them to all. I currently have 11 Discus in my 125. From clean Yellow Pigeons, to Royal Reds, To Blue Snakeskins. Most of them are the size of coffee cup saucers. One of them is about 8 years old and is very big. A pearl Pigeon Blood, he's huge ! I will have to find out how to post them so I can share them with all my Discushead compadres. Gotta get some java, :coffee: ;) George