AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help Identifiying please

Default Help Identifiying please

Hello all,

I need some help with the names on some of my Discus. I am very new to these fish, and there are many many different types and names. I want to be able to know what kind these are when I am asked. I picked up 4 of the browner ones from Brewmaster at the Discus meeting a few weeks ago, but forgot the names. 2 were snakeskin but not sure if there is more to the name. They are starting to color up nice. The other two has about 12 faint stripes and look to be more red. The day after the meeting I had to deliver some angelfish to a lfs and ended up swapping for some of these Discus. The blue ones were labled neon and the red ones said super red. Are the names correct? Today was their first day out of quarentine and in their new home. I do know which one the pigeon blood is. ;D

Thanks for your reply,

-Wayne

Registered Member

Default Re:Help Identifiying please

as to the name neon blue, majestic sells blue diamonds uner that name, and he has red ones like that too, a link to similar colored fish is:http://daah.info/index.php?board=6;a...y;threadid=336 butthe shape is better than what i have seen from there. attached is a majestic neon blue

not sure about the rest.

hth

denny.

Registered Member

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

The one with the black speckles and the red ones all look pigeon based. The blues look like blue diamonds - are there marking on the fins or face? The ones with lots of bars are Snakeskin X wild green (I think)

Names don't mean much with discus.

Carol

Hey Denny..don't post that pic in the "Find the fault" section. Brew doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle the replies. Not laughing at you Denny..laughing with you.

Wayne,

Just as a word of warning to you. You may want to consider quarantining fish the next time you bring home new ones, rather than just immediately mixing them with your existing fish. I would hate for your fish from Al to get sick. And, in turn, your existing fish may pass something on to the newbies. I think six weeks is the popular quarantine time around here. Especially when dealing with the LFS you have to be careful, their discus (for the most part, not all LFS) usually aren't in the best shape anyway.

Ryan

Ryan,

All the fish were in quarantine for 3 weeks, and not put in immediately. They all seem fine, growing, and are eating & pooping well. I will go 6 weeks on the next quarantine though.

edibill,

I did see that find the fault thread ( excellent idea Carol!) Please point out the faults in my fish. Like I said, I am very new to Discus and need to learn what to look for.

-Wayne

Hi Wayne,

It's just like angels, there are certain things to look for. You'll learn them eventually It takes a while. You look for a completely different set of features on discus than on angels, though.

You may be surprised. People find hidden treasures at LFS. There are folks among us will stunning discus that were 'rescued' from LFS.

Ryan

Hi Wayne.
    My comment wasn't directed at your fish. I'm not a fish critic unless there are obvious faults. Denny's fish picture is very pointed with big owl eyes and looks quite stunted. I think that's why he posted it (at least I hope so).

I will say..after a peek at your pics that the "brownish" fish which look like young snakeskins
    are the best looking fish you have as far as looking round and large for their age. The ones that you say you got from Brew I think. They're going to color up nicely I bet.