AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: HELP!!! my 1 of my discus really sick

Registered Member

Default HELP!!! my 1 of my discus really sick

>

hey any guys here,

i really need u guys help. i have 5 discus abt 3-4 inches big. 1 of my discus, since the day i bought it, it nv really grow much. today when i reach home, i found out that it turn really black, lucky the eye nv turn white colour. nt swimming much and straight, 3-5 days all my discus nt eating much. now all hide in 1 corner. i keep them for abt 3-4 months already. since the day i bought, i feed them beefheart, which previous owner used to feed them. for the last 2 months, all of them are alright.
    now i have took out the sick black discus from the tank, out it on my pail with pump<= izzit a gd idea to do that? i had just washup n change the main tank water condition. will other discus affect? it seem like all of them nt eating too.

i hope some expert n proz can give me advise to do with it. i really feeling very sad now. haiz

hope some1 can reply me asap
    thanx

joe

i have pic on my 5 discus [nt too sure what breed is that]

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:HELP!!! my 1 of my discus really sick

It's hard to make a diagnosis with the dark picture and symptoms.

You say you feed beefheart and have had the discus for 3- 4 months. Do you have a gravel bottom in the tank? How often/much do you change the water?

A common problem we see here is dark discus, hiding in the corner, not eating, with stringy white feces. This is Hexamita (intestinal flagellates) caused by stress. Many times the discus water is not clean enough or the tank is too crowded. Beefheart quickly fouls the water if every speck is not vacumed out daily.

Your first line of defense is to increase the water changes and clean the tank. If you think it is hexamita you will need to use metronidazole sold under trade names like Hex-a-mit.

Metronidazole is most effective in water 92F (or a little warmer) I doe 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons every day after a 50% water change for at least 3 days. Leave temperature up for a week or until they are eating good.
    Carol

Registered Member

hi carol

ya first to ans u. i change my water twice a week. 3/4 water change. and i m using top filter.

"Your first line of defense is to increase the water changes and clean the tank. If you think it is hexamita you will need to use metronidazole sold under trade names like Hex-a-mit.

Metronidazole is most effective in water 92F (or a little warmer) I doe 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons every day after a 50% water change for at least 3 days. Leave temperature up for a week or until they are eating good."

hmm metronidazole sold under trade names like Hex-a-mit. i m staying in singapore. izzit same name in the market?

Metronidazole is most effective in water 92F (or a little warmer)<= 92F = to how many degree celeius. shld i get a heater stick?

anyway thanx for ur reply

joe

hey,
    Yes, you will need another heater if you don't have one already. What is your water temperature right now? Also, you may want to add some non-iodized salt (Kosher, Epsom, Rock, etc) to the water at 1 Tbs. per 10 gallons as this eases stress on the fish. If you need help, you've come to the right place.
    good luck,
    brad