ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Fish Farmers

Default American Fish Farmers

Hi my business is st.croix discus hatchery in minnesota.
    I need some support for my business, i breed and sell all that i produce in the united states i don't import any fish.
    Since 9/11 business has not been good. :'(
    Even before that it wasn't great. I've been breeding and selling these discus fish for over 20 years. With ups and downs of the business, this is the worst i've seen in some time, i might have to shut down in the future, if business doesn't pick up.
    So if you want to buy a hatchery its for sale, over 50 pairs of all types, babies and all equipment.
    We import into this country fish,fish supplies, fish feed & equipment second only to oil, and the national dedt keeps going up.
    So if you want to keep importing and buying fish thats your choice, but there are plenty of breeders that do a good job producing quality discus right here. We might not have all the different fancy names or the latest strain but i believe we will be there soon, hoping for your support.
    So sorry for whining, but I really care about these fish
    and the american farmer, for we are losing more & more of every day.
    So next time you buy discus, give a second thought to us who are trying to compete with overseas fish, then be a big shot and import some more and bury the american farmer, we don't matter anyway ???
    I need some babie discus are you willing to sell for the same price as overseas? I am ;D

Default Re:American Fish Farmers

Great to see you on Simply Paul.

I do hope you enjoy it here as much as I ...

Weezy, Linda and I are planning on a trip real soon! We'll grab Al on the way. Anxious to see you again and your set up...

I'll be in touch....

Julz

BTW I should post the pics I took at Linda's.... It was very nice to meet you there.

Paul,

Good to see yout at Simply. Just a few questions:

Are you the same Paul who used to live near White Bear Lake or one of those Mnpls Burbs back in the 80's?

Do you have a brother who was also into Discus?

Did you once call your place Pauls Fish Pallace?

If so fellow board members this guy has great fish! You were the first breeder I ever purchased from when I was just a poor college student in Mnpls!!!

Andy

Hang in there. As much as I hate to admitt it things were better off when Hillary was running the country. Hopefully things will get better for everyone.
    Posting here from time to time will most likely help get your name around to people who didnt know you existed (me for one) Your prices seem fair and if you have been around for twenty years I'm sure more than a few people can give feedback good(hopefully) or bad about your fish and service.
    Welcome and good luck in the future. Rich

Registered Member

Paul,

Thanks for visiting simply. I never knew you were out there. There are several US breeders who post regularly on this site and have great reputations for selling quality fish. So many of us are aware that great discus need not be imported.

I wish you all the best with your business and hope that things improve quickly for you.

Take care.

Dan

Registered Member

paul,

take some pictures, post in the breeders section, and start to let people know you and things will get better. ;D

denny

see you in feb.

I just wanted to say welcome. Also I wanted to place your website in this thread. http://www.stcroixdiscus.com

Hey Paul,
    I agree with your message, but I'm afraid you gave it to the wrong crowd. Most all of us here support American breeders like Cary, Mike, etc. Sure, some people import, but that's just how it is. I bet the reason you haven't gotten many sales from people here on Simply is that you haven't been here yet. Post some pics of your fish and you setup here, and throw up some people that have fish from you to testify. If you do that and honestly try to help people here, I'm sure you'll get more sales.

Brad

Real Name
    Willie

The next Midwest Discus Club meeting will be held at Paul's hatchery. Details in the Events section. Join us if you can and learn from Paul.

Willie

Registered Member

Hi Paul,

Glad to see you made it here.

Registered Member

Paul, you should stop your whining about imports hurting the American economy, and “buy American.” It’s very passe, xenophobic, and insulting to our international SIMPLY community. We live in a global economy. Look at the computer that you are using, the microwave that you use, the TV that you watch, and look at the labels on the clothes that you wear, and the shoes that you walk on. We could not afford most of that if it were made in America. Americans excel in many areas, but labor intensive jobs with low income are better suited to developing countries.

You say that you don’t have fancy names or the latest strain. Please tell us what is a “golden rattle snake” discus as listed on your website. Just as car models are updated every few years, people like to look for new strains. If you only have the older strains, and nothing in the pipeline, then you’ve already limited your sales. The last time you updated your website was 18 months ago. Market yourself positively and aggressively. Most other well known US breeders have another job as well as breeding discus. I don’t know if they would survive just doing the discus business. If you have high quality fish, excellent customer service, good marketing, reasonable priced fish, positive feedback from customers, then the sales will come.
    I wish you the best, but read below to see why “Buy American” is Un-American.
    Brigitte

Why “Buy American” is Un-American.

Many Americans think it their patriotic duty to give preference to American-made products. But “Buy American” is wholly un-American in both its economics and its philosophy.
    International trade is not mortal combat but a form of cooperation, a means of expanding worldwide production. The benefits of international trade flow to both trading partners, even when one of the countries is more efficient across the board. This is the “Law of Comparative Advantage,” covered in every economics textbook. Free trade does not destroy but creates employment.
    Philosophically, Americanism means individualism. Individualism holds that one’s personal identity, moral worth, and inalienable rights belong to one as an individual, not as a member of a particular race, class, nation, or other collective.
    But collectivism is the premise of “Buy American.” In purchasing goods, we are expected to view ourselves and the sellers not as individuals, but as units of a nation. We are expected to accept lower quality or more expensive goods in the name of alleged benefits to the national collective.
    Most “Buy American” advocates are motivated by misplaced patriotism. But for some the motive is a collectivist hostility towards foreigners. This xenophobic attitude is thoroughly un-American; it is plain bigotry.
    Giving preference to American-made products over German or Japanese products is the same injustice as giving preference to products made by whites over those made by blacks. Economic nationalism, like racism, means judging men and their products by the group from which they come, not by merit.
    The “Buy American” campaign implies “It’s Japan or us.” If Japan is getting richer, then we must be getting poorer. More and better production is good for everyone, everywhere. What’s good for Toyota is good for America. That’s individualism, and that’s Americanism.
    Sacrificing one’s standard of living in order to subsidize inefficient domestic producers is un-American. The tribal fear of foreigners is un-American. Resentment at others’ success is un-American.
    A patriotic American acts as a capitalist and an individualist: he buys the best, wherever it may be found, whether it’s an import or made in the USA!
    By Harry Binswanger, Ph.D.

I support whoever can deliver the best fish at the best price. I'm not here to join a fan club. At times, this forum can lean in that direction.

Ebill,
    Stop Your Playing You know your My biggest fan! :P :P :P

Tell the truth My little Rose red! :-*

Cary Gld LOL!

Registered Member

When I first started looking for Discus my first try was at St Croix Discus . I chose this place because it was close. I sent 2 emails for a visit never recieved any response. I sent and faxed to several places and Cary at Great Lakes was the only one to respond. (Plus I read some good stuff about him on forums. )And He tolded me I had to WAIT to order Discus from him because he was going to Florada. Now telling someone who has been trying to get herself some discus that she had to wait longer, was just torture. But I waited and got the beautiful Discus I have now. Thank You! Cary. I had to Tell this story because customer services does count.I know because this is wait I do for a living ;D
    Deb
    Ps I have my letter into Santa for another Tank. And of course I will need more Discus ;D

Registered Member

I have purchased discus from Paul about 4 or 5 times, the latest being this past summer.

In my experience, his fish have been round, hi-bodied, and healthy. Paul has always been helpful and friendly, and stands by his fish.

Besides Paul, I have also purchased fish from Cary and Al Johnson.

I have been happy with my purchases, and plan on purchasing from these three gentlemen again in the near future.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast