AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Storage

Registered Member

Default Water Storage

Question: how are you moving water from a storage container into your tank >> are you using a pump, if yes what kind have you been using, recommend?

My issue: I live in an apartment, so there are constraints re how I can store extra water for my 50 gal tank. I have learned from this Forum that many Discus keepers are using Rubbermaid Garbage Cans and related containers >>> I can probably go 25-30 gal max for a water storage container (I do a 50% change every 48 hours). Wondering how others are getting the water into their tank, i.e. by way of pump. Thanks.

Registered Member

Default Re:Water Storage

I too use the rubbermaid garbage cans. I use a 1/6th hp utility pump that I got from a farm supply store to pump the water to the tanks. Will pump 950 gph and saves me a ton of time.
    Brian

Brian,
    Can you post a pic? I have a farm supply store next to my house, and I am interested in this approach. Roughly, how much is that pump?

Nick

Registered Member

I have been surfing the web, and this appears to be one option for a pump:

http://www.waterace.com/specialty_4.html
    Water Ace 1/6 Horse Power 115 Volt Submersible Utility Pump
    Item #: 25780
    Model: S1300/R6S

Available at Lowes for $53.00
    http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...-335-S1300/R6S

Registered Member

Hi, Marksor --

I have a 55 gal and I have two Rubbermaid 22 gal garbage cans I use to store water. To pump the water from the storage tanks to the aquarium, I use a ViaAqua 1300 pump ($17.99 from Drs. Foster and Smith). This pump is rated at 370 gallons per hour and has a 6.7 ft head which is fine as long as your aquarium is on the same floor as your storage tanks. For the size tank I have, it works great and the price is right.

George

Registered Member

Marksor
    I use a mag drive pump that is rated at 700gph and it does a great job, i actually would like to have one that is rated for 1200gph but for now this one will due, keep in mind i have 12 tanks to fill and most of them are 55 so the 700 or even a 500 mag drive will do they are very very nice those are real pumps man. I think a 500 would run about 45 bucks but im not sure.
    Oscar

i bought a 550 gph pump at Petsmart for like $25 on sale...its worked great for me.

Registered Member

You all will have a heart attack but this is how I do it and it works for me. I run warm water in the bath tub, add acid, calcium and magnesium, and mix and airate it with the sump pump while water is being syphoned from the tank. When I've syphoned 1/2 the water I hook up the hose to the pump and transfer the water into the tank. And yes, this is the same tub I take a bath in I can only figure that I don't have a problem because my water is very soft and I dont get scummy build up in my tub.

Liz

Registered Member

Liz
    That is what I call being inventive, ready made container.
    Dennis

DANG !!!

Miles

liz,
    i think that any scummy build-up would be burned away by the acid you're adding to your tub....hahahaha :

Registered Member

NickK
    My pump looks very similar to the one in this link http://www.waterace.com/specialty_4.html. I paid $49.00 for the pump. I attach a hose to the output and can easily pump 30 gallons of water in just a couple of minutes.
    Brian

Registered Member

I'm definitely getting a pump. I keep saying that, but lately the bucket brigade has been wearing thin...

John

I use an Eheim 1250 hobby pump. Cost is about $65. It will last forever useing it for water changes. Shop the net for the best price. Rich

Registered Member

This is my current storage set-up, total capacity is 170gallons, located in the garage. Three 60 gal bins (actually they are nominally 60, 59 and 54 respectively) connected with 3/4" pvc and bulkeads, with valves so they can be separated and cleaned. I should have used at least 1" pvc, I may change that soon, but is working fine. There is a powerhead (350GPH) in the center bin, constantly moving water to either side bin via a Y. In addition, a small phead in the center bin takes water from the bottom and outflows in the same bin, about 3 inches above the surface, thus agitating 24/day. At the side bins, the outflow (roughly 175GPH) outflows at the top, creating a centrifugal circulation pattern.
    There is a 250 heater in each bin. In the summer I run 2, in the winter all three. The pink foam is for helping maintain the temperature, as is the wood board under the whole thing. I now have all three bins covered with the pink stuff as the temp in the garage is about 50F.
    I pump for water changes from the middle bin, with a ViaAqua submersible (1300GPH). I refill via a Python that can be seen in the middle bin (the tap-water source is accross 3 walls in a bathroom, making it impractical to hard-plumb the system). My makeshift fishroom is about 40 feet away from the garage, through 2 walls.
    I hope this helps someone. Cheers, Francisco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast