AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: grow out tank

Default grow out tank

ok....so...id like to hear what size tanks everyone uses for growout . and when they move and split them up.
    so...say 40 fry. and at this point they are only 3 weeks almost...and in a 33 gallon. and i change 10 gallons a day so far. but did 15 today.
    so...i have a 100 gallon i can use...but dont want to move them over too soon. or i can use a 60 gallon. or may be getting a 90 gallon also. i also have about 4 30 gallon tanks.

Registered Member

Default Re:grow out tank

April
    I have about a 120 in a 40 at the moment and mine are about 5 wks.old.
    I am planing to move them pretty soon to a 100 gal., but that does mean more H20 to make > You probably can make it a while longer with the tank they are in, then you could go to your 60 or 90 I would think.
    I have a 240 for mine to really stretch out in when they get bigger ;D

Merry Christmas

Paul

Registered Member

April what I would do is fill your 100 gallon half way and put the little guy's in there at about 6 weeks old. As they grow all you need to do is add clean water to the tank. This way you move the fry only once which reduces the stress on them. I about 2 weeks I too will add mine to a 100 gallon tank only half full. It gives them more room to move but not so much as they can't find the food. Feed them in one spot every day and once they see you they should move over too you expecting something to eat.
    George

Pril,

I just moved mine to a 20, Monday night. Had to.... as they were eating the Parents raw and that is all I had open.

I like George and Paul's idea, just wish I had an open 55. Guess I'll be getting that 72 bow sooner than I thought. :P

Merry Christmas

thanks George....your idea sounds good.
    i just got offered a 90 gallon tank free also. so how can i refuse that? so another nice grow out tank for me.
    as long as i dont flood the building. guess i will get myself a new stand...and add water. ;D

Julz. not sure youve been a good enough girl to deserve a bowfront. and really...not sure you should get one before me..... think my wilds want one. or yeah....a whole school of manas would look good..... ;D 8)

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

How come nobody ever wants to give me a 90 gallon, lol?

I divided the first group by size and stuck some in 20's and some in a 55. A few of the smaller ones did catch up with the bigger ones. My goal this time is to try to keep them closer in size.
    Carol

but but but...Ppppril I HAVE been a good girl honest.....lol

My thought exactly.... Your Mana's heck even Ryan's Heckles or better yet Cary's GM's would look great in that 72 bow....

Ya know Carol.. I like that... Organizing your fry according to size is a GREAT idea.... hmmm I have one more 20 open for that. Thanks for the tip....

uh..... Julz....i meant a whole school of manas in my bowfront.!!!!!!!!!
    or wilds....

And the race is on....... Who gets a bowfront first?

Hey wait..... You've got the Mana's... Hmmmm guess i will have to get that black ski mask and jumpsuit out of the closet.....