ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: feeding too much or not enough???

Registered Member

Default feeding too much or not enough???

Hey all, very new to this, we have 8 discus 21/2 - 3 inch, we have had them a month, all doing well except for one that is quite shy.
    I feed them blood worms,brineshrimp, and finish with colorbits in the morning and in the evening I alternate wattleys discus formula, formula one, beefheart, and bloodworms and finish with colorbits. They are eating a cube at a time.(of the frozen)
    They seem to be still hungry, (they keep looking for food), so am I overfeeding or underfeeding or is it just a guessing game?
    It makes sense that the bigger that they get, the more they eat. I just want to do this right.........

paul_burney

Default Re:feeding too much or not enough???

Hi Sparky
    I am far from a expert on this but i feed mine all they can eat in a 15 min time period about 4 times a day ( i would feed more often but work wont let me) When they get up to 6 months i go to 3 times and 8months to adults i feed 2 times a day. I also do a 30% to 40% Water change a day also i get good results here. HTH you out some.
    Paul Burney

Sparky,

If the kids want to eat, let them eat! Just don't let uneaten food foul their water.

The littlest one may not be able to compete for food with its siblings. If it continues to lag behind the others, consider using a separate growout tank with higher temps and live food to see if it will respond and catch up.

Registered Member

hi,
    you got nice looking fish.

i suggest that you feed in different parts of the tank at the same time, so that the shy one and the rest can get theor share.

as for feeding, i feed all the fish till their stomach show out a bit and after half an hour i change the water. i do this three times a day. when its time for feeding in the afternoon, their stomachs have already been pulled in. this is the format which i choose to feed my fish. this way, i think i am not over or under feeding them.

hope this helps.

arpanlib