ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metronidazole tablets

Default Re:Metronidazole tablets

I'm out of this discussion. I just had the opportunity to buy a large quanity of Metronidazole tablets on sale from one of my medical supply warehouses and did. Then I thought I share them with Simply members. That's it. They dissolve and work. My 10 plus years of experience with them helps me to make that comment.

Brad, you get on my nerves because you are a newbie to discus but seem to think you know a lot. You seem to be trying to set a record for the number of posts you can get. Dropping Cary's name in every post doesn't help your credibility one bit. We all know an respect Cary, but I don't want his name to pop up everytime I have an opinion on something that you disagree with. IF Cary want's to reply to anything I post, I welcome it. In my opinion, he's great, knowledable and a straight shooter. I'm just not much of a "fan" of anyone one person. You're obviously infatuated.

Now, once again...go away. shoo..

Brad: I don't think you're getting picked on because of your "above-average intelligence"...Rather, I think it's your propensity for over-posting on subjects that might be second-hand knowledge gleaned from other people, rather than something that is your own experience that's been put into actual practice...
    It's understandable to want to help out, but sometimes it's better to let the people with first hand information with many years of experience post, rather than cluttering up the forum with heresy. Saying things like "I'm much smarter and more mature than most adults"(not a direct quote-I'm lazy) is basically belittling a good portion of the forum and making yourself even more of a target...
    I stop myself from posting constantly when I realize that I would only be posting what I've read or heard others say not MY OWN EXPERIENCE...

Registered Member

I will say this! I bought 100 of these from Rus, and I dissolved one. It was much better at disolving than ones I got from a Vet for twice the price! Very similar to those sold by Fishy Farmacy, which is an excellant product. I bought some and I do have the right to comment! Thanks Bill! Frank

In my experience Metro does not dissolve well in water. That seems to be the experience of others on this forum as well:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...d=1127;start=0

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...d=1091;start=0

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...d=1093;start=0

So I guess we are all just bumbling fools and can't figure out how to dissolve this darn Metro in that there tap water. Hell, I need help getting the durn lid off of the bottle. Maybe I should git me one of them there paint can shakers and stick the sealer jar on it to get this drug dissolved. I don't know. But I do know that Brad's experience is not unusual. The only reason I thought that people used Dimetro was because Metro didn't dissolve easily.

I don't understand why Brad should stop asking questions just because he's getting rude answers.

Dave

Ok..just one more post..
    Dave
    The whole friggin pill won't dissolve..The metro will dissolve. All of it. The pill has other things besides Metro in it....crap to make the pill form and stay formed.

Mix the pills in
    about 6-8 oz of water..maybe up to 10 tabs or so...stir for a little while..maybe 60 seconds..then pour in in the tank through a brine shrimp net or similiar filter..

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have 250mg tablets right now and can accept that the stuff that doesn't dissolve could be a binder. In the past it was possible to get metro into Canada and I would get Metro powder from FTFFA and it was difficult to dissolve. Not as difficult as Prazi but still difficult. Certainly it did not dissolve as readily as you suggest. Personally I don't give a damn, it dissolves enough and works fine for me. I was merely piping up because I wondered about all of the residue with the tablets so when Brad asked the question I figured it was a good question. When Brad got trashed & told to go away for asking the question I figured that was unfair. Big deal, I don't really care. I just have heard from many people that in their experience Metro powder does not dissolve well. If you read the links I provided you'll see some evidence of that, from both tablets & powder. I stand corrected.

Dave

Don_Lee

OK OK, enough is enough. Brad and Dave, don't post anymore on this thread please.

Don

I wonder if the Metro powder is pure or has something else in it as well? The pure
    chemical "metronidazole" is supposed to be very soluble. I know The Fish Farmacy has drugs it sells that even the powder forms are not pure. I think they're adjusted with inert things to help with standardize dosing...like.. use 1/4 teaspoon..etc. You can give Metronidazole IV to people..so it has to be pretty soluble to do that. Can't drip in a bag of sludge.. ;D.

I don't know about the additives in the drugs. But that's certainly a possibility. If that's correct then my measurements of the dosage are screwed up, hopefully not significantly. I will call FTFFA and find out if it's pure or not. I'll send you a message regarding their response DiscusRus.

Dave

I use Metronidazole pills and they almost completely disolve. I dont think its necessary that the pill dissapear for it to work. Ive used Disco Med successfully for tape worms (sorry Frank ;D) and that stuff wouldnt disolve in pure acid.
    The fertilizer "pellets" you put on your lawn and many granular insectisides are only carriers for the ACTIVE INGREDENT. Its very likely these pills work the same way. Someone with a knowledge of how the drugs are made can confirm this. Rich

Ok...this should do it..From the PDR here's the solubility of Metronidazole.

**Metronidazole has a molecular weight of 171.16. It is a white to pale yellow crystalline powder. It is slightly soluble in alcohol and has a solubility in water of 10 mg/mL at 20°C. Metronidazole is a member of the imidazole class of anti-bacterial agents and is classified as an antiprotozoal and anti-bacterial agent.**

To compare...salt. NaCl has a solubility of 0.357 mg/ml of water at 20 C. So, in summary : Pure metro is more soluble that salt.

The defense rests! :P

If the translation of that stuff means that the white powder sitting on my tank bottom is tablet binder then I say YOU DA MAN DiscusRus. It's been bugging me for awhile now but as I said, I just successfully treated a pair with these tablets so I suspected it was working properly. Thanks for the effort. That leads me to wonder why someone would use Dimetro. My understanding was that it was used in place of Metro and dissolved much easier. Given the risk of it trashing your bio I wonder why anyone would use it.

Dave

Guys,
    theres tons of data out there on metro. It comes in both soluable and non soluble forms...

I have used pills that did go into solution better than others as well.

for some info...

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/metronid.htm

Slightly soluble in water, in
    alcohol, in acetone or in methylene
    chloride; very slightly soluble in
    ether.

pH of a saturated aqueous solution at 20°C
    is about 6.5.

other info...

Metronidazole has a molecular weight of 171.16. It is a white to pale yellow crystalline powder. It is slightly soluble in alcohol and has a solubility in water of 10 mg/mL at 20°C.
    (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/noritate.htm)

3.4.5 Specific properties and composition

Metronidazole benzoate is used for the
    suspension form of metronidazole.

Metronidazole hydrochloride is used for the
    intravenous form of metronidazole.

(Reynolds, 1993)

Metronidazole hydrochloride is the soluable form.

and yes ...most formulations even the powders have binders added, often times these are sugar based.

hope this helps,

al

ps... this stuff is mae by 100's of companies in many preps. I can guaranttee that when they say its color is off white to yellowish... its isn't made the same way in all of them.

Registered Member

Guy's the only stuff I have used has been Metronidazole in powder form from the fishy farmacy in Tucson Arizona. I used the powder form and as far as I can tell it did it's job. I have also used there ParacideX that is mixed with food. I have been lucky and my Discus have never had worms that I found in my tank or seen them coming out of my fish. I can't say the pill doesn't work because it is specifically used in the pet industry on dogs and cats so I am sure it works but I have never had the opportunity to use it. It looks to me that DiscusRus has all the information out there for each and everyone of you to use at your own choice. You decide whats best for your Discus, use it and see how it performs.

Bill,

Thanks for making the Metro available to us at Simply! And for all the good info.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast