ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muriatic Acid to lower pH

Default Re:Muriatic Acid to lower pH

I just started expermenting with mutric acid to lower my ph, I use it and the ph drops to 5 then airate the water for 24hrs and this brings my ph to 6.5, but after another 24hrs hrs the ph falls to 5 or lower again, how can I get it stay at 6.5?

My PH out of the tap is 8.5, my GH is 5, and my KH is 1.

Registered Member

Muriatic Acid is some seriously strong stough and with your kH that low already you may want to go with something milder. Like run a bag of peat in your filter or just use a itty bitty bit of acid to lower the pH.

I will only use this stuff on RO water these days because that bounce was driving me crazy.

Any particular reason your trying to lower your tap? I would think that most of use would kill to have that coming out of the tap.

Peace,
    Roger

Hi Russ,

Having simelar water parameter as you do I have done follwing:
    I have used M.Acid and have let the water sit for 48 hrs.
    After 24 hrs. it still was bouncing all over the place. Make sure you have air supplie for the pretreating procedure.

In the BB Tank I have placed Crushed Coral shells to add back some calcium carbonate (sp). That did the trick.

I then have decided to go with R/O and without Acid. In one tank I still have the C. Coral for the buffering. My Planted Tank has enough buffering so there I have no need for it.

That was what I have done so far. Your water might be a bit different then mine so I would recommed to test around a bit. ( of course not in the tank with Fish ;D)

HTH Ronald

Registered Member

a year of using m, acid, ( in any pool supply store) too much work it turns out the ro mixture and consistency of a stable ph in my case a 7.2, 100 ppms @ 84 degrees i have been able to trigger my discus to spawn. consistency was the trick for me. the less work the better forme.

Registered Member

Hello Jesser

I came to the same conclusion that you did, but more do the fact that my tap water is so hard.

I do still use muriatic acid on RO water when Im trying to bring the pH down in it. But its in the drop/gallon category and its as stable as a rock. I usually use peat but that will only lower pH so far.

I think the people with soft water can use muriatic acid on a regular basis.

Peace,
    Roger

Hi All,
    "I think the people with soft water can use muriatic acid on a regular basis."

Roger, That is a very dangerous statement in my opinion.

Soft water is defined by a few factors and one includes a low KH. Using Muriatic Acid on already soft water can cause a pH crash if not monitored very carefully. Muriatc Acid takes out KH. Now leaving already soft water with less KH will most certainly end in a pH crash if the KH will not be brought up again. (baking soda or something else)(rising pH again ???)
    To avoid that one has to be extrem carefully. I would not recommed it if someone is new to this.
    Oh this does not refer to you by the way. ;D

Ronald

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Lowering the pH with muriatic acid is a PITA with moderately hard/hard water too as the pH keeps swinging back up in the tank . . . I tried and tried and never was satisified with the results.

At my house the pH is what the pH is and I don't mess with it anymore.

Registered Member

Hello Ronald,

I was making a statement of fact based on the effort it takes to use that stuff on hard water.

If anyone is thinking about using this stuff PLEASE be CAREFULL.

As Ronald has pointed out the only way to get the pH to change and stay changed is to basically reduce kH to 0. When you are down in that range a pH crash probably isnt a matter of if but when it will happen.

There are people that live life on the edge with low pH and low kH and they do a lot of extra work to keep things from getting out of hand.

Peace,
    Roger

Hi Ronald,

I tried using baking soda and all that did was counter the effect of the muturic acid, raising the PH to 8.5 again and only raising the KH to 2.
    I have a couple of questions about crushed coral, would using crushed coral, like the baking soda raise my PH which is already higher then 8.5, how much coral would I need for a 90 gallon tank and how long is crushed coral good for.
    I also have a couple of questions about peat, how much should I use and how long does it take take to work? I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Russ

Registered Member

[quote author=Russ link=board=5;threadid=5695;start=15#72873 date=1044428089]
    Hi Ronald,

I tried using baking soda and all that did was counter the effect of the muturic acid, raising the PH to 8.5 again and only raising the KH to 2.

Russ

[/quote]

Hi all,
    Russ..........and all the while sending your conductance SKYROCKETTING. When you put in Muriatic Acid(37% Hydrochloric Acid) you are adding Hydrogen and Chloride ions, which will send your conductance up dramatically. When you counter that acid with baking soda(Sodium Bicarbonate), you are adding more ions in the form of Sodium and Bicarbonate. These too will add to your conductance rising. Why are you fiddling with your water? You have relatively good water, which will either naturally drop in pH with a healthy, active bio-system or drop with the addition of peat acids. Have you tried aging your source water to see what it goes to with aeration/time? Just my opinion.

Steve

Hi Steve and Russ
    It's about time you got into this Steve ;D

That's exactly what happened with my water. (what you described with M.Acid and backing soda) The cond. ended up over 550.
    Well my pH was, is unbelievable 9.5 out of tap with dGH 4 and dKH 1 and cond. around 400. Now after 48hours of air it came to 7.5-7.9 pH which is for me not acceptable.

I also think using Peat is one way to go and not using Acid's with the Parameters given. Another way (the one I am using now) is R/O either mix with Tap or Straight and then adding back the minerals. In my case R/O gives me the Parameters I want and the crushed Coral gives me the stability without affecting the pH too much.

Regarding CC you could put a handful in a pantyhose and see if the pH stabilizes. If it drops just add a bit more.

Regarding how long it is active, I have no clue. I just recently
    (after using it for about 6 month) have changed it.

Regarding peat I hope Yogi aka Jerry Baer jumps in because I know that is what he uses. I am sure there a also more around who can tell you about peat.

Whatever you decide to do try to use KISS (keep it simply stupid)

hth Ronald

Hi,

This may be a stupid question, but do I run peat only in the holding tank, or both in the holding tank and the display tank? also how long does peat useally last before it needs to be changed?

Russ

Registered Member

Default Re: Muriatic Acid to lower pH

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but that is what "search" is for. So, if I continue to add muriatic acid, eventually it will overcome the kH and lower the pH? My KH is 8, my GH is 1, my pH is 8.2, possibly 8.5. I have played with this in the past, and it kept jumping back up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12