AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best foods for parent raised Discus!

Default Best foods for parent raised Discus!

Hi,
    IME I find these foods to be the best when feeding parent raised fry with parents. ;D
    IMO They are 0nf1 + 2 Live BLKworms
    Live Brine, DecapBrine,

I have heard of people Shaveing onf1 and chopping live worms for fry. It is a good ideal if the fry are not fond of eating it or do not know it as a food source yet! But for My fry I use whole cubes and whole worms hee.hee.hee.

My advice when useing ONF1+2 is to feed it to your pairs when they carry fry!
    This will help the fry take to it faster. However this goes with any food you feed to the pair But Imo some being better for fry
    (EASY TO EAT)

BECAREFUL! onf1 and 2 are very dirty products that will deplete your water Quality fast! wipeing down the tank walls will be needed daily along with large W/Cs. onf1 + 2 is a gel base seafood liquid diet high in everything needed for good growth and color frozzen into a tiny cube. Baby discus fry will pound it! at 1 week after free swimmimg sometimes sooner if things are set right!

My point was LOL! dropping a full cube will be best allowing you many hours from feeding again. Imo its so fine I believe discus could be artificially raised off of it. Dropping in a whole cube will not foul your water as fast as you may think.
    onf1 + 2 will stay in one piece srinking in size after hours and hours of feeding. However once the fry reach a size of 1" or bigger.
    Its best not use it anymore because of the biteing and the spitting ways they pick up when eating. This will only foul the water quality faster and is really not needed anymore. beefheart and blood worms ETC.. can now be used.

IME I find live BLKworms the best! Only because of water quality
    and because when baby discus at 1 week will take to them biteing little chunks off of them like they would do to there parents slime coat. Ofcourse its best that the parents are fed BLWorms during spawning and during raiseing this will help attract the fry faster and help your pair from becomming rawl and nasty even in some cases dyeing.. At times I would drop in balls that would last the whole day. leave and feed at 7am home at 5pm fry still fat and eating and good water quality to boot!

But still I allways added in treats of ONF1+2 shaved bloodworms,mikereeds nbb,live brine,beefheart,plankton flakes crushed and DecapBrine.

HTH the future Breeders!
    Cary Gld

Default Re:Best foods for parent raised Discus!

Thanks Cary. What would your opinion be on grinding up ONF1 Flakes and feeding those to fry? Is that not very similar to the frozen stuff?

Brad

Registered Member

Good deal Cary! Frank

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

In my opinion this is exactly the type of post that is so valuable to the members of SimplyDiscus.

A respected breeder had told us what he feeds his fry and why. He has warned us to watch our water quality with the frozen foods and he has posted a picture of quality discus he has raised with this method.

I like "how to" threads. I would like to encourage other respected breeders and long time hobbiests to post more of their tips and pictures of fish they have bred or own.

Carol

Registered Member

Thank you Cary for taking the time to share your feeding methods. Oftentimes, we run into people that do not want to share their "secrets", but you have been outstanding in the giving of your knowledge, so that we can all benefit. A big thank you to everyone that shares their useful information.
    Brigitte

Thank you Everyone!

I will do My best to put My negative power into more positive posts (My new years resolution) hee.hee.hee..

Brad, I think flakes are fineas long as You can keep up on water Quality. ;D

HTH You and Me Both!
    Cary Gld!

Cary,

I don't have much experience with cbw because I cant get them.

Do you think you would get the same results if you could get redworms in the same quantity and size?

Thanks Cary!

Ardan

Thanks Cary!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi Jason,
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I think the red worms are bit to big! unless You puta fine chop to them :-*

Maybe it would be best for You to us the baby brine and ONF1+2 untill they get bigger. I just think the chopping of the worms will foul the water faster. you will need to try this and keep us posted!

TakeCare,
    Cary Gld!

Cary thanks so much for the info.
    Very well put and easy to comprehend. Now with your advise I must go work on that fry tank. You made me suddenly realize why it is so cloudy.

Thanks and Happy New Year....

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Registered Member

Thanks for the great advice. I have been using the frozen ONF1 on my first batch of fry and they are tearing it up at 9 days. I'm doing water changes at 75% twice a day on them and they seem to be fine so far.

Keep Up the good Work ;D

Registered Member

hello cary,
    just wondering, are those snowflakes are for sale. what a beautiful discus especially the snowflake on the right side.
    hank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast