AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What paint to use?

Registered Member

Default What paint to use?

I just treated myself to a 120G high tank and just got ready to put it into place and fill it. It just dawned on me that I need to paint this thing.

Normally I just lug the tank outside tape it up and spray paint it. This tanks a little to big, so I was wondering what type of paint should I use on it? enamel ? oil ?

Peace,
    Roger

Registered Member

Default Re:What paint to use?

I asked this a few days ago. If memory serves me right you should use a sky blue matte type of paint. Someone did bring up spray painting. I hope this helps if at all...............good luck with your new tank!

Rob

Registered Member

If you ever want to try and remove the paint, use a Latex paint, as it should peel off pretty easily, but then it might also get srapped off too...

I used a acrylic Enamel paint, and it is never coming off

-steve

Registered Member

If it were me I wouldn't paint it I would find a blue backgroound or what ever color you like and tape it on.
    why because what if you want to change colors sometime or maybe sell it some day. A tank thats not painted is alot easier to sell thats for sure. ;D

Registered Member

God created safety razors for taking paint off

I have a nice supply of them on hand already from other projects so I think the acrylic enamel blue will be what I go for. I dont plan on painting the ends just yet since those I can get to and touch up anytime.

Fortunately I dont have carpet to worry about and things clean up easy off the flooring that I have.

Thanks
    Roger

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Use a very light blue (pale turquoise) to bring out the best colors in your discus. Light grey or white would also work - especially for pigeon bloods.
    Carol

Registered Member

Most of my tanks have a light medium blue background, typical spraypaint color.

I have one tank that has a plant background in it and the 2 fish in it just look smashing. Figures since one of them is blue

Im looking at probably having mostly wilds in this tank. Heckels and RSG. Any idea what paint color would go best with them ? I may go with blue and if it doesnt work I can always scrape and repaint.

Registered Member

I don't paint the back of my tanks anymore. I go to the "Dollar store" and buy this cheap Contact sticky paper (it is actually an off brand). It works wonderful, it is easy to apply, no waiting to dry, no toxic, and it does not seem to "bubble up" or anything like it. The first tanks I tried it on have been like that for over a year. Look at the picture for an idea.
    (the only caveat is that for large tanks I use more than one piece, so one can see seams, but I personally don't mind them).

Roger,

I've painted the backs of my tanks with plain latex interior paint. Be sure to clean the glass well with alcohol before you paint. I applied three coats to insure good coverage. It should set for 48 - 72 hours to be sure that it is moisture proof.