AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Change help needed!

Registered Member

Default Water Change help needed!

Hi all,

Ok so I have a new 50gal tank which needs water change everyday. It is at least 4ft high off the ground so lifting buckets above it to siphon in is hard on my back to say the least.

Let me start by describing what my appartment layout is like and what options I have and ideas etc then maybe someone can give me advice on what they do etc. Perhaps there is a solution that I have not thought of. Basically I need to remove water from the tank and get rid of it, store water and airate/heat it, then get it back into the tank (standard wc)

Ok my tank is in a quiet spot in the middle of the lounge. I need to change 30% (that's roughly 16 gal wc) per day. There is not enough room under the tank inside the cabinet, so that is out of the equasion.

Bathroom:
    The bathroom is a good 12metres of hose away but that offers no solution as the taps do not have screw threads on them in the bathroom. Add to that the fact that my wife is telling me that the bathroom is out of bounds for fish stuff. Even so the hose will have to run straight across my nice carpet to the bathroom...

Balcony:
    I also have a balcony (we live on ground floor) about 8 metres of hose away from the tank. The problem is that there is no electrical outlets there nor is there any taps. I can however pump old water straight onto the garden/lawn from the balcony. The hose will run past my lounge chairs... The big drawcard there is that there is heaps of space for storage.

Laundry:
    Directly behind the tank is (what I reckon is my solution) my laundry. There are screw treads on the washing machine taps, there is a drain, and there is another unthreaded tap (laundry sink). Now I can store water there (just! it is very crowded in there) but I will need to pump it from the laundry using about 8 metres of hose, past my kitchen, past my fridge into the tank. I can't use gravity in this case as there really is only one place to put water in the laundry and that is a tight spot on the floor next to my washer. Drilling holes in the wall to mount a storage unit above the tank is out of the question as it will look ugly and it's not my place!

Q1) What capacity pump is strong enough for this amount of distance?

To remove water from the tank I was thinking that I will have to siphon out the solid waste the old fashioned way into a bucket. But to remove the majority I would have to siphon/pump it out somehow. The problem is that gravity may not be on my side as the water would indeed fall from my tank but it would have to go uphill again to go over my balcony railing out onto the garden. Siphon into a buckets is not a long term solution for me...

Q2) is it a good idea to use a submersible pump to pump out dirty water?
    Q3) is there pumping solution that I don't know about where i can attatche the pump on the exiting end of the hose (ie where the water comes out from as apposed to sucking water into the pump ans spitting it out through the hose, it works in the opposite way, sucking it from the hose)
    Q4) If i could find away to get the siphon going, it probably would work over the balcony as I would need an extra 2-3 metres to reach the ground from the balcony (ground floor is high off the ground)... just a thought...
    Q5) can you think of any other way to remove water from the tank considering my situation???

please feel free to ask me questions here as I will be glad to answer them. Any suggestions will be gratefull recieved!

Thanks in advanced,
    Chong

Default Re:Water Change help needed!

Sounds like you need a Python waterchanger to me. The only problem would be water storage

Are you capable of using tap water directly (No chloramines?)?

The hose off the balcony also sounds good. I go out a 2nd floor window into the flower beds in the summer. The additional 2/3 meters should make no difference as they will be hanging down and add to the flow.

I think Magdrive pumps can be used at the end of the hose to draw water. If not I know Delivery/Demand can dry siphon also.

If it was me and the Tap water is OK. I'd use the Python waterchanger (petwarehouse and Bigals sell them)It will draw the water from the tank and can be used to fill it back up. It's a little slow and wastes water, but It is effective.

Hope this helps,
    RandalB

Registered Member

Howdy Chong; btw, Welcome back!
    I am a person who not only uses pumps, but believe in them 100%.
    An excellant TOOL, to have!
    * Q1 - I strongly recomend " MAGDIVE # - 3 ". A very great pump, good flow rate, great head height, and has 1/2" npt threads on the intake and exhaust outlets. This pump is cheap to operate and 100% submergable.
    * Q2 - attach a flexable hose to the # 3 intake. Vacum the tank and remove water at the same time.
    *** OR- Place a cartrige filter, in the suction hose, to collect the debre before it enters the pumps empellor.
    *Q3 - See *Q2.
    *Q4 - See *Q1.
    *Q5 - Nope. Using a pump solves so many problems and offers a person to expand .

*** Simply pump the water from you DISCUS tank, drain the hose; then throw the PUMP in you storage tank and pump the fresh water to the discus tank. Simple, and time saving...

I'v been using the MagDrive # 3's for over 5 years.. never a problem. Great dollar value !!!!
    Oh, for the long hose, I just went out and purchased a high quality 100% 3/4" I.D. rubber garden hose. It is only used for my fish.!!!!.

Didn't mean to so winded.
    Good luck, and may you floor stay dry.

Smokey
    ( Canada, eh.)

Registered Member

Thanks guys, I forgot totally about mag drive inline pump hehe.

As for python, I had heard alot of people talking about them but never really knew what the heck they actually were. Google time...

Thanks again! Will let you know what I end up doing
    Chong

Registered Member

PFFT! is that what you call them! sheesh I got 3 of those things!

my problem is how to start the "python" in the first place... traditional mouth method or whatever...

I guess I will have to invest in some sort of inline magnetic drive pump and LOTS of hoses. Thanks again!

Registered Member

Hey what about those hand pump thingies, it fits inline with a hose line and it has 2 one way valves, when you repeatedly squeeze the plastic ball part of it, it sucks water out of the tank and gets the siphon [part started... (kind of like a doctor's bloodpressure measurement hand pump)

has anyone had experience with that sort of pump?

Registered Member

Default Pumps

Smokey,

I need to move ~50 litres of water per water change (both ways, in and out of the tank). to do this in a resonable amount of time, lets say 20 mins, what sort of output pump will i need? YOu talk about a magdrive 3 (350gph if I am correct, so that's 1135lph) is that enough? considering I have over 8-12 metres of hose line?

What are your thoughts?

Also are the magdrives sold as Pondmaster PM-600 etc? how come I can't find MagDrive brand name, only pondmaster? where I can i get them on the net as Aquamail.com.au and Aquaria.com.au only list Pond Master brand(or is that one and the same??)

These are the models of PondMaster on Aquamail.com.au

10855 Pondmaster PM-600 600lph 0.9m 39.10
    10856 Pondmaster PM-800 800lph 1.35m 72.10
    10857 Pondmaster PM-1000 1000lph 1.95m 86.60
    10854 Pondmaster PM-1500 1500lph 2.4m 121.30
    10858 Pondmaster PM-2100 2100lph 2.5m 152.25
    10859 Pondmaster PM-2800 2800lph 3.8m 165.75
    10860 Pondmaster PM-3600 3600lph 4.5m 179.20
    18061 Pondmaster PM-4200 4200lph 5.2m 195.00

which is equivalent to MagDrive 3? ie: http://www.pondliner.com/PM3.htm
    ??

Registered Member

Same product different name.I like the 1500...2100.. models. Mag 3 and the Mag 5 models. they have enough power to move water over a distance and up a hose. The 1500 is the model I would suggest. Or for the xtra dollars go for the larger 3000 L.

Smokey

Registered Member

Thanks Smokey!

Have you had much of a dabble with solenoid valves and float switches? I am investigating automated water change... long way off yet but I think I will make it a long term 2003 project...

Chong

Hey Chong,
    Welcome Back you 'ol married man you..

Randal could also help you out with your float valve. I just received my electronic shutoff today (for my reserve tank) and will be installing it soon. He helped me immensely...

Julz

Registered Member

hey Julz! shave me bald, pass me a walking stick and call me "Pa"! hehe

How have you been???

Randal knows plumbing? cool! is there a tread on this beard regarding this very topic that I have not seen? I'll have to deeply investimagate as I am not sure where water feed will come from and where drainage will go yet.

I have another big fat issue and that is water conditioner... I have chloromines in my tap, I need to somehow auto dose 20-40 ml of water ager into the holding tank every time as well... any ideas?

Chong

Registered Member

I think I will visit the plumbing supply shop today and see what they have to offer... I need safeguards as well... can't go flooding our beautiful carpet!

Chong

Registered Member

You don't need an inline pump to start and maintain a siphon. The python is easy to start. Just fill the large end with water - get it flowing down the hose-submerge the large end again (holding the open end up to let all air escape)-and when it is completely submerged the siphon will start automatically. Just so that the large vacumn end and a few feet of hose are filled with water. If you have to put the hose over the rail, it shouldn't stop the siphon as long as the water level is higher than the point where it goes over the rail. However........ it is faster with a pump and offers a great lesson for a newly wed husband. Don't let your wife know this as it gives you an opportunity to buy a new toy (pump !!). Never pass up an opportunity!! ;D ;D ;D

Registered Member

LOL got it! Secret stays on the this board! Siphon? what's that honey? naah i need a pump, it's the only way! lol

Chong

Registered Member

I just put together a "Python" like water changer....

I went to the hardware store bought a waterbed drain/fill for $4.99 and I bought 50' of clear tubing for $10.00 and a compression fitting for 1/2 ID 5/8 OD tubing to connect to the drain/fill piece. hen I connected my old hand siphon vacuum after I removed the check valve from the ball valve end....

Works GREAT!!! Especially for the $$$$$

If anyone is interested I'll take a pic and through it up!!!!

Later,
    B ;D > 8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast