AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic Water Change System

Default Re:Automatic water ager dosage

Chong,
    I didn't realize that you were talking about glass holding tanks. I thought you had a plastic one. 1" would probably be sufficient. I recommended a 2" based on plastic. Ralph and Dave both have good points too. I would personally use a Powerhead rather than an airstone , it would give a better mix.

RandalB

Registered Member

I see. No the holding tank most likely will be plastic but i meant the 2" hole in the main tank for overflow sounded abit big. Also about the float vavle going off at the same time as the storage tank starts to empty, I was following advice given by daninthesand regarding these float vavles. Basically he was saying that if you turned the flow rate of the float valve to a small capacity then the amount of tap water that gets pumped into the main tank during this time is negligeable. I can live with a small bit of tap water, no problem. Basically the holding tank takes awhile to fill (it sounds like it does it over several hours). By then a higher capacity pump would have already evacuated most of the water and the timer turns it off long before the float valve fills too much. does half of that even make sense?

Dave, thanks for that great bit of advice. You are right, I am probably thinking way too quickly ahead from buckets straight to automated. I guess my point of view was to start with small parts of the total cycle (like the storage tank part with float valve etc first, then go from there as I see fit or as required. I probably would not have time or to dare do the lot in one go.

Also one thing I wanted to add, I would most likely time everything to start when I am at home (sometime at nightabout 7-8pm) that way I can oversee it's opperation.

As for the IV thing, I am in luck as I have many doctor friends. I will ask them for an IV regulator drip thingy and see how I go...

Thanks for all your help guys, if you can think of anythign else let me know. I will post my progress as I go.

Chong

Registered Member

A slow incoming flow on the float valve should take care of that problem.
    What a massive undertaking, I hope it works out for you, it will sure take the pain out of those daily water changes.

Registered Member

Massive, you bet. I don't even know where to start!

I will go out and buy a 60 - 80L square garbage bin today (as apposed to 2x25L buckets, back breaking I tell ya!, square cuase that's the only type that will fit in the space) and I will recieve my pump via courier today too. That's a start I guess. I will look into hoses to the balcony as well.

Thanks for all your advice I will let you know how I go!

Chong

Registered Member

Default Update on Auto Waterchange System

Inline valve timer:

I went to a supermarket (not Kmart but similar) and they sell a garden watering timer that runs on batteries. Basically you set it to 24/48/72 hour, up to 1 week etc before one opperation goes off, then another dial controls how long the opperation runs for. Smallest time is 1min then 5 mins, 10, 15 etc. This is the basic model for $AU18 and connects directly inline with a hose.

I could easily use this to control the water removing siphon end of the design if I didn't use a pump. Better yet it could replace the storage tank pump if I ran it on gravity fed system (storage tank higher than main tank). hmmm very intersting, esp for the price.

There is an electronic model for AU$68 which can be set at 1 min increments.

Hey hey I found the link! but these guys are expensive!
    http://www.hardwareshop.com.au/detai...;path=2,128,16

Chong

Registered Member

Default Update: Float Valve

Still investimagating, thought I'd update ya's.

I went to hardware warehouse (Bunnings!) last night (I dragged Jenny along too poor girl) anyway all they have is the brass ball float valve for toilets (the long handle and a floating tennis ball shaped piece at the end of it.)

The other interesting thing they had was a AU$26 float valve for toilets. A simple thing with a floating box that runs up a PVC tube as the tank gets filled, When the floating "box" reaches a certain height the water is cut off. Nice! the problem is that it is bottom mounted (ie, the screw on part is supposed to be at the bottom of the tank as per normal toilets) that's no good as that will mean I will have to have my tank raised off the ground and drilled from the bottom. hmmm... I am going to have to research further, perhaps visits a plumbing supply shop to see whether they have side mountable compact units like daninthesand describes.

To the Bat Mobile!
    Chong

Registered Member

We have evaporative coolers for the houses here in Arizona. The input water line has a cut off valve with a float on it that I think would be perfect for you. The problem though is that you live in Australia! You might ask around though.

Registered Member

yeah i haev seen boat bilge float valves that can electronically turn a pump on but I am really looking for a mechanical unit.

Anyway I am sure you guys would send me one if i paid for postage as well right?? ;D

Chong

Registered Member

G'day Chong, nice to see you back. Let me say I investigated the auto water change thingy, using mini float valves and solenoids purloined from old washing machines. Since I don't have chloramines, my plan was to put a carbon filter on my water line and solenoids on an auto-syphon for a drain and on the main water line for fill. The idea was that while one solenoid was on, the other was off and vice versa. In terms of water distribution, it got too complicated and I ended up designing it to change all my tanks at once. Temperature was an issue, so I was going to do 10% water changes per day. then there was where to get cheap timers. I even looked at Dick Smiths for kit timers. I haven't abandoned to idea, but I ended up using a "semi-automatic" system similar to the one that Dave C uses. Open a valve to drain, and then close that and open another one to fill. It works quite well, but there is no safety for overflows. Also the cat (!) chewed holes in my drain line, so I was wondering why the dining room kept flooding every time I did a WC.

You can use toilet float valves - just put a bend in the steel bar and there you go! However, if you go to a plumbing shop, they have mini float valves that are 100% polyurethane, so no worries about immersing metals in your tank water. Also, I think they have side-mount ones also. Just FYI.

Cheers, Scott

Registered Member

Dang, to the Bat Mobile to the local plumbing shop!!!

well i got one tank only (2 if you count the hospital tank) so I won't have multiple tank problem. The valve idea is fantastic I can get that going tongiht!

Thanks for that, hugely valuable info. Will let you know how i go!
    Chong

Registered Member

I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but I thought I'd post it here as well: Hydroponics shops are an untapped resource for the DIY aquarist. Not only do they have pumps, piping, valves and fittings, but they also have heaters, aerators and grow lights (fluoro and MH/LPS) No compact fluorescent though - not available in Oz (Yet?!).

Cheers, Scott

Registered Member

Cool! I went to the local hydroponics just then and they had good stuff but they didn't have an auto float valve. I went to a nearby plumbing warehouse and picked up a Fluidmaster all plastic side mountable float valve.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/float_products_intl_747.html

Comes with great instructions and looks like it will work well. All for AU$22! cool!

I will now go and buy a holding tank (found a 60L one at bunnings for $30) and start drilling! hehe

Cheers Scott. Next I will look at ball valves, pumps and timers...
    Chong

Registered Member

Maybe this will give you some ideas

Registered Member

Smaller square container gets the r/o water and has a float valve. When its full float valve shuts off r/o unit. 2 round containers get the waster water. There is an $18 pump in each container. They are plugged into 2 timers. Every morning first the waste water pump comes on and pumps to the fry tanks. About 10 minute later the r/o water gets pumped to the breeders As soon as the water level drops the r/o unit comes on to produce more water. I have drip valve to regulater the water into the tanks and also large valve if I want to do it quick. Tanks on left all get r/o water, on right get waste water. Presto! All automated

Registered Member

Once every other day I siphon off waste ad thats it for water changing

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast