AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Enchanted Discus

Default Enchanted Discus

Hi, My name is Joe Szelesi and I live in Maryland and my business is Enchanted Discus.

In 1972, while serving in the United States Marine Corps, I accompanied a friend on a Discus collecting trip to the Amazon River and her tributaries. Having kept many species of tropical fish since the age of ten, this was intriguing as I have neither seen nor heard of a discus. I was taken aback by the coloration of the magnificent specimens we incurred. My friend had funded my way and I was there to help him with his quarry. I did not collect any for myself as I was still enlisted in the USMC.

In 1973, I was honorably discharged at the rank of Seargent and could not get the discus out of my mind. My friend had moved and I looked him up to find he had just received a shipment from Manaus of some outstanding Browns. Again I was not settled down anywhere, but knew some day i would have to have some discus.

In 1976, I got married to Ellen. My friend handed me a card with a picture of two adult wild brown discus in it. I was puzzled, then overjoyed as he said they were to be our wedding gift.
    Despite not knowing much about their requirements--I kept them alive for 5 years. I was officially hooked and certifiablly crazy over discus. My obsession increased and all signs of sanity were long gone. " Discus Fever" had struck! By 1980, my discus were breeding prolifically and giving away the fry while keeping future stock. The costs of my hobbie were now astronomical without compensation. My wife said that my new -found friends should have no problem assisting with the mounting utility bills and purchasinof tanks as I now had over 200 discus that were my pets!

In September of 2000, at my wife's urging, I decided it was time to try making some money to better afford the insanity. I went to Duisburg as a spectator and there I met my exporter--Mr. Tan Chee Lok. I was blown away by the various discus he had on display and in the competition. I decided I wanted to be his exclusive US Distributor .

January 2001, Enchanted Discus was spawned. Future goals are to build a new house and 3.000 sq.ft. hatchery on 4 1/4 acres.for completion in 2004. I believe the state of the discus hobby is increasing through the dissemination of information in the hobby. I believe we have not yet fully seen the full potential of the King of the Aquarium. The future 's so bright--I have to wear shades! Joe

Default Re:Enchanted Discus

Hi Joe
    Welcome aboard!!!! Looking forward to hearing some of your stories and seeing some pic's of your fish(hint!!)

Darcy

Hi Joe!!!! ;D
    glad to see you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!
    ;D ;DLynn

8) 8) 8) 8) Cool when you get the new place finished I may ask for a invite...

Mike

*applause*

Thanks, Joe.

Hey Joe, that is not what you told me on the phone last night ;D ;D.....JK.....
    Glad to see you here, the wealth of information you posess is unbelievable and I look foward to taking every bit of it in.

Randy

PS..... let me know when you get those discus in

Registered Member

Man he gave you the Cliff Notes version and not the full length novel! If you want to talk discus and pick up some great fish, then you will be best served to visit Joe in MD. Looking forward to getting some of those Millenium Melons coming later this month. Take care, Darren.

Don_Lee

Welcome back Joe!!

Don ;D

Good bio Joe. now.....we will need updates when that new house and hatchery are built. so us poor nontravellors get to see it.

Registered Member

Hey Joe, Congrates on the 2nd place in Germany, Not easy to do. You are brave to enter fish in the Aquarama, After seeing the competition, Good Luck! If I have the funds I hope to go the the trip again with Y'all this year. Doesn't look like it will happen at this point. Say hello to my friend in Thailand. Ken

Joe,

Thank you for the bio. Have you ever gone back to the Amazon since your first trip? Does your friend who got you started still keep discus?

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
    Oregon

Ken, I won't have the chance to say hi to your friend in Thailand as I am not going there. I will be going to Penang on may 23rd, then to Vietnam--maybe Kuala Lampur then to Singapore on the 1st til the 4th--then home!

Thanks for the congrats! I'll keep the Journal this time as you kept losing it! ;D Take Care, Joe 8)

Jeff, No, I have not returned to the Amazon. For the $2000 + it would cost to get there, I can go to Germany ( not so many snakes or insects ) and toss down some brews. My friend was killed in 1978 in Cambodia. He was a Soldier of Fortune. :'(

Joe