AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: WHAT KIND OF HECKLE IS THIS?

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Default WHAT KIND OF HECKLE IS THIS?

I had purchased 3 wild heckles from Oliver Lucanus 2 weeks ago. I know its not a great picture but can anyone help identify what strain of heckle it may be.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Default Re:WHAT KIND OF HECKLE IS THIS?

ooops......heres the pic.

Registered Member

I really don't know. Unfortunately the picture is not in great focus. I attempted some "fixin", to gain better detail, but couldn't. Of course, even with good focus, I probably wouldn't have know anyway.
    I am not an expert on wilds, although is all I have, now 19 fish including 9 heckels from at least 3 locations. Yours has the darkest and most defined black edge encircling the whole body that I have seen so far. Also the bar on the eye is very dark, perhaps darker than in all of mines. By the way, the shape of the fish is in my opinnion, very nice and round. It also looks quite large, using the hydrosponge as reference. It is definitely quite different from the "red" and "blue" heckels I have. Why don't you ask Oliver ? I would be interested in finding out. Can you try some more pictures of all of your wilds? Thanks.
    Cheers, Francisco.
    Here is your picture back.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

I just talked with Oliver and he said : "That is the beauty of Maderia's, sometimes they are yellow and sometimes red. " He also said that sometimes the yellows turn red.

Those wilds can change color completely in a few seconds. Sometimes I can't even recognize them at feeding time. They realy color up nicely and faded immediately when chased by a dominent fish. The sub-ordinate fish has a lighter color to blend with the decorations of the tank. They color up nicely once I put some driftwood and fake plants to provide some hiding places for them. I'll take some pic to show what I mean with the same fish with different color variation.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

Oh man! heckles = soft spot in my heart.

Where oh were can I get some in Australia???

Chong

Jim, Since yellow and red is the exact same bloodline this is why some are red and some are yellow. Just like yellow marlboro and red marlboro of th epigeonblood variety.

Joe 8)

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Hi Joe : You are right on the money. I talked with Oliver the other day. I asked him to let me know what type f heckles they are because I thought that I had bought Maderia's. Oliver said that "that is the beauty of the Maderias because sometimes they are yellow and sometimes they are red".