AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer???

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filteration

Registered Member

Default Filteration

I just though this would be good info for anyone new. Hope this works out.

Rob ;D

Default Re:Filteration

Good deal Hydro + aquaclear

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

My favorite is the Aqua Clear filter. It comes with one internal sponge and I always add another plus I put a sponge on the water intake to trap debris before it enters the filter.

You don't want food or feces in your filters. You want to trap them on the intake sponge and rinse it under the tap daily or siphon them from the bottoom of the tank.

The filter is to convert disolved wastes such as ammonia into less harmful chemicals that can be removed with the daily water changes.

CArol

Registered Member

And they last many many years! my AQ is 12 years old now and still going like new!

Chong

Hydro's and AquaClear 500

WORK GREAT!!
    Along with 50-75% daily w/c's.

Miles ;D

Registered Member

To expound on Carols description:
    All my filters are outside the main tank. There are three (3) seperate filters. Each is designed for a specific purpose. Mechanical ( actually 2 ); anarobic ; arobic .

Smokey
    keep the water clean

Registered Member

I use the aquaclear also. It is quiet, efficient and dependable.

I have (at least) one of all listed. My only regret is the $$ I spent on the canisters. Not worth a single cent IMO.

I love the Emperor because of the extra basket. But is a nuisance to clean compared to my AC. Too many parts..

Sponges.... I have both the Hydro and Azoo. I prefer the Azoo because it doesn't sit on the bottom, there for no debris will get trapped. But then the Azoo has more parts to clean as well.

I voted the AC because if I could only have one type, that would be it.

Julz

Any cannister or hang on filter will work. I prefer Aqu. Clear for easy of maintenance + Hydro sponge. They're extremely durable. Once is all you have to do to buy.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

I am using a hydro sponge and an aqua clear on my grow out tank. On my main tank in the works I have a eheim 2229 wet/dry and a AC500. Though I must admit I stole Carols idea and slapped a sponge pre filter on my AC's. I have heard that one must be weary of o-cello sponges they have a habit of killing fish.

peace 8)
    Rob

Registered Member

Hi Gang!!

Nice thread Rob

I also use an AC500 with three Hydrosponges for my 75 gallon. I have used a canister filter for my smaller 47 gallon bow front tank and it worked really well for bacterial filtration but a pain to clean!!

Regards, Lester

I use sponge filters and a few top filters as well.

hydros and aquaclears !!!! though I do have a few whispers and magnum 350s kicking around.

-al

Registered Member

Aqua Clear 500 with pre filters and Orca sponge filter.I also have some Mag.250 and hot Mag and an Emp. 400 kicking around in the wings in case I need another filter.All my breeder tanks have the Orca internal sponge filters,the larger ones.

Mench

I use AquaClears in my tanks in combination with Hydro sponges. I have two Hydro IVs in my 55 gallons in addition to one AC500 unit. I do not use the charcoal/carbon that comes with the AC -- instead, like Carol, I buy a second AC sponge and keep two of them in the back of the unit.

The same people who make Hydro sponges also make a prefilter that easily fits onto the uptake of the AC, and I use those too so that my AC doesn't get clogged up with large chunks of food and debris.

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast