ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer???

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 100.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filteration

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re:Filteration

Emperor and several hydro sponges

Registered Member

I LOVE my trickle filters.

Other than that I like air driven sponge filters in breeding tanks and Aquaclears on other tanks. With the sponge filters I like using the parts from the hydro filters except the sponge part. I use an Aquaclear 500 sponge and cut it to fit the hydro filter.

GARY

Registered Member

What size of AquaClear filter do you suggest for a 29 Gal Quarantine/Breeding tank? Would you go with the 300 or 500? For this size of tank, is the Hydro-Sponge Filter in addition to the AquaClear really necessary, i.e. is it overkill? Thanks

Registered Member

If I am incorrect here please set it straight.
    Marksor,
    You would probley be ok with a hydro sponge set up, say a type 3 er so, with that and your water changes you should be ok.

Rob ;D

Marksor,
    For 29 gal AC200 or 300 plus a single hydro sponge will be plenty enough. AC500 maybe an overkill because of the strong, wide current.

Registered Member

Doesn't anyone use a drilled tank with a trickle filter for discus??

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Marksor,
    Cormorant is correct AC 500 has too much current for a 29. You can run a 300 alone with several juvenile discus or even just a sponge filter with a breeding pair. AC 200 is perfect for a 20 gallon.
    Carol

I think the drilled tanks and trickle filters are more expensive, so not used as often.
    Carol

Registered Member

Chicki; yes, I have been drilling tanks and exclusively using a wet/dry - flow through system for over 8 years.
    I would not use any other kind. Extremely efficient and extremely clean water.
    Why do you ask???

Registered Member

because right now I have two marine tanks (7' and 6') I also have a 159 gallone that has the overflow and a wet/dry filter. Right now I am using it for a quarantine tank. Everything that i put in my reef tanks goes first in there for 5 weeks. When I'm finished filling the reef tanks I want to use it for a freshwater tank? It's powered by a mag 18 pump, but I can control the flow. I was seriously considering discus, but cannot imagine changing 50 gallons of water out everyday!
    I was just wondering about the filter systems, cuz it does seem like most people use canisters? couldn't figure out why...they just seem like sooo much work compared to these?

Registered Member

Chicki:
    Yoooo are so right !!!!
    Canister Filters do require more effort to clean.
    However, in defense, canaster filters are popular amoung hobbiests. In my early days I was convienced they were the perfect filter,( obviously by sale-persons); for a neat clean look, canisters can be placed out of sight. And they are an OFF-THE-SHELF-INSTAL-NOW-UNIT.
    O.K. - Now for the subject at hand. WET / DRY filteration...
    IMO... the most effective, cost efficient, ease of use, filter possible !!

Your next querry ???? - amount of water exchanged. Remember, home aquariums are a closed loop system. SIMILAR TO A STILL POND! Or as I refer to it.. a swamp in the making. If this is what you may want, there are aquatic spieces that tolerate the conditions, NOT DISCUS !!!!
    So, unless you, as so many others have deceided, committed to a regiment of daily water changes, diet, environment disipline, ; well - you do the math.
    P.S. marine animals are not discus, totally different enviormetal conditions. Different knowledge. Discus are totally interactive, continusily !
    So, perhaps, you will have to make a personal decision.

Oscars are nice !!!! lol.

Please reply with your thoughts.

best of intensions

Smokey

Registered Member

Cool!
    Thank you for everyones input. I think that anyone starting their reseach on keeping discus should be able to decide what avenue to take when purchasing filteration from this thread. Thank you again.

Happy keeping!
    Rob

Registered Member

Wet/dry is the king of filters.

On tanks without it I prefer a mixture of Emperor 400 with internal Hydro sponges. In addition to the normal cartridge for the Emperor , you can also stack a sponge in the back and I have Cell Pore cartridges in front. The bio wheel gives you additional oxygen mixture that some other HOB filters don't have. It can be loaded with bio filtration. As with the AC, the additional sponge or floss material can be used to instantly cycle another tank. (did it last week). HTH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12