AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Collecting your own glassworms in Mn or cold climates

Registered Member

Default Collecting your own glassworms in Mn or cold climates

Years ago when I worked for a pet store(Pets Unlimited ridgedale) the manager there used to go out and collect his own glassworms in the winter and then sell them in the store. He told me they are only found in very clean water. Has anybody done this themselves?

Drew

Registered Member

Default Re:Collecting your own glassworms in Mn or cold climates

I have not, but in my country, Colombia, I used to collect lots of Daphnia in small ponds, and use it as food for my mom's and mine fish. One of the problems that many locations have suffered is the pollution (direct or inderect) of bodies of water, and/or the dissapearance of same waters due to increased human population, development, etc. In some regions of the US, it has become very hard to find natural "clean waters", even in areas that are relatively unpopulated. But it should still be possible if you know where to go.
    Good luck. Francisco.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Drew : I have not done this but I would be interested in trying. How do you go about it. You have emy curiosity going.

Jim

Registered Member

From what I was told from a guy who had a lot of knowledge is that glassworms can not survive in polluted waters and they are safe to feed if they are present. I believe they can only be collected in the winter. You drill a whole in the ice and scoop them with a net. I think the guy manages a pet store "world of fish" now and I'm going to try to contact him, I was good friends with him. I think the Minnesota aquarium society would have some good info. I was curious if anybody here has collected them. I'll find out.

Drew

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Drew : I do a lot of ice fishing and many times I have noticed small dark worms on the surface after you drill a hole. I am going out again on Saturday and see if I can bring some back and take a look at them.

Registered Member

Let me know Jim, I bet some them are glassworms. I think certain times during the winter they come to they surface in higher numbers but I'm not sure.

Drew

Jim,

Thanks again for the insight on Photo Shop. Try this link for info on glassworms:

www.nativefish.org/Articles/Glassworms.htm