AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: seperating fry from parents

Default seperating fry from parents

At what point do you seperate the fry from the parents?? Is it best to leave them with the parents for as long as possible?? they're really growing fast and i'm thinking it's going to start getting painful in a few days(all that biting)
    How do you seperate them without causing too much of a fuss?

Default Re:seperating fry from parents

Hi David,
    Remove the parents to a new tank.
    When You build up Your confidence down the road you then can remove fry from the parents to new tanks. David if this is Your first time I would remove the pair. sometimes when fry are removed and added to new tanks they tend to stress and go off food. Heat treatments are then needed to get them eating good again. IMO heat treatments should be given to all discus that are moved.

When Moveing fry from parents its very important to have your Ph and temp exact. GH And kh should be close but not as important. IME conductivity changes seem to have little or no effect from 100mS to 300mS change.

I like to remove fry at 3weeks at this stage they should be on other foods before they are moved. fry will take to bb on day 3 even day 1 if you try hard enough but IMO not needed. I like to start bb on day 4. I try feeding the fry 3Xs a day to help take stress off the parents. IMO the more You help out in the feeding's and careing for the young the longer the fry can stay with the parents.
    HTH
    TakeCare,
    Cary Gld!

Thanks Cary, that was basically the plan...I figured less stress on the fry to pull the parents...They seem to leave the parents alone after the lights are off, so i figured I'd just grab the parents before turning on the lights in the morning...
    I've still got a week or two to go yet, I might not even reach that stage without casualties...They look good so far though...growing fast...

Best wishes ;D