ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JANUARY MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - Francisco, Jack and Tyler

Registered Member

Default JANUARY MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - Francisco, Jack and Tyler

All,

Thanks for your patience this month, I hope the results will be worth the wait. We have a great group of hobbyists as the target of this spotlight, Francisco Borrero, Jack Taylor and Tyler, whose last name I never got. All three bring different perspectives, interests and valuable knowledge to the table. I have had the good fortune to meet Francisco and Tyler face to face, and it would be an honor to meet Jack in due time.

Hopefully you will all enjoy reading this spotlight as much as I enjoyed preparing it!

John

Question: Please tell us all a little about yourself. Single, married, attached? What do you do for a living? Other hobbies? Any significant non-discus achievements you want to brag about?

Francisco: I am 44 years old, married to Melinda for 11 years, and have a beautiful daughter Maya, 4 1/2 years old. I recently reinvented myself as a teacher of Spanish and various Biology topics. I used to be a university professor engaged in research/academics in the fields of marine sciences, mollusk aquaculture and physiological ecology. After that I became a consultant/entrepreneur in aquaculture, and then changed. Hobbies include traveling, bicycling long distances (street bike), sometimes triathlons, and hiking. I also collect stamps (animals and flowers).

Jack: My name is Jack Taylor from Kansas City. I have a wonderful wife (Debra) and two children Matthew (7) & Courtney (6). I work for Grainger Industrial Supply as a third shift Receiving Manager. The kids have never seen me work days. And they may never !!!!!!!! I love to hunt and fish, neither of which I do much of since I have fish !!!!!!!! We are trying to change that this year!!! I also am a member of the USAF Reserves (19 years +) I work on the A-10 Thunderbolt as a sturctural repair technician.

Tyler: Well, as most of you know I am 13 years old. I'm pretty sure that makes me Simply's youngest member, and thats an honor in itself! I'm currently in the 8th grade, and trying to get done all I can in school to get into honors courses next year. This coupled with a discus addiction is not always an easy task! I also enjoy sports, mostly Basketball and Football.....go Jets!!! I've also recently become a moderator over at Discus As A Hobby, and that place coupled with Simply seems to have a wealth of discus knowledge I haven't found anywhere else.

Question: How did you get into discus? Where was the first discus you saw? How long had you been into fish first?
    I am a newbie with discus but not with fish. I have been keeping discus for 3 years now, and only 2 years with any degree of success.

Francisco: My mother used to be an avid fishkeeper/breeder in Colombia, and I started helping her from very early. I had my first 2 tanks at age 7 (20 and 45gal) and kept small community fish (guppies, tetras, gouramis, acaras, angels, etc.). I bred livebearers, gouramis, danios, and acaras then. Never had discus. The first discus I saw were wild, probably blue or brown, at one of my moms fish business partners place in Cali. This must have been in the late 60s. They were expensive, rare, and considered extremely demanding. I had tanks all the way thru my bachelors, and left Colombia for graduate studies in the US in 1982. Had fish on and off thru 1992 when returned to Colombia for a few years. Came back in 1997 and began again with fish the next year.

Jack: I have had fish on and off for over 15 years. It was just a few tanks running up until a few years ago. I had seen discus in the past but they were always so faded and dark at the LFS. I didn't want anything like that!! I went to the ACA show in Chicago (I was an African cichlid nut) and seen some really beautiful cichlids. But what really caught my eye was the discus that were in the tanks. It was at that time I met Julia Mann (Blue Moon Discus). Time went by and I was sent on Reserve duty to Barksdale AFB. I remembered I had a business card from Julia and contacted her once I got to Louisiana. I visited and fell in love with her fish. I slowly started collecting fish everytime I had duty.

Tyler: He probably doesn't even remember this, but Dave Clubine got me into discus. I met him over on The Freshwater Forum, and was in awe at the pictures he would post. I then began talking about how I wanted discus (and looking back, I notice how little about them I actually knew) and he gave me the link to this site. From that point on, I was hooked! Before seeing discus, I was into other tropical fish for a couple years. I was never serious about it though, just had a couple kribs and loaches. Discus really jumpstarted the hobby for me though, and I havent looked back.

Question: How many fish/tanks do you have at the moment? What is your setup like? Do you have or plan to set up a fishroom? What are your long term goals for the fish?

Francisco: I have a makeshift fishroom. It is a carpeted family room in the first level of our Sharon home (no basement). I was given green light to it with the condition that any stands and things were to look nice and furniture-like. Thus, there are no racks, and the space is underutilized. 9 tanks ranging 29 to 150gal line the walls, some stacked 2-high, others single level. In addition, 7 more tanks (15-75gal) are in hallways and other such places. I only have 3 discus tanks at this time, a 150 orgy with 15 wilds, a 50 breeder with 2 Curipera, and a 30gal hospital with my two most recent rescues (a very skinny Itelvina Royal Blue, and a sickly looking Unini Heckel; I got them for free 2 weeks ago). This is because at this time I am not even attempting breeding. My water storage drums are in the garage. I had intended to make a real fishroom in my side of the garage, but now it seems that we may be moving later this year, so I am in a very frustrating limbo regarding construction and tanks, not to mention about my fish!! It appears that moving may take us to Cincinnati or the Carolinas, and will occur this summer. So…the fishroom will be somewhere else.

Jack: As of this moment, I have 35 tanks running. I own 250 tanks.Why? Who knows !!! I did it just the opposite of most. I got the tanks first.No plans for 250, just bought them over the years. I have around 15 adult discus, 30 juveniles, and 40 fry at 5 weeks old. I also have angelfish. My basement is my fishroom. When we were looking for a house, I told my wife I only wanted two things in the house. She could have the rest!! What I wanted was a unfinished basement and a 3 car garage. I was able to get both. I worked 2 jobs and the reserves to help her get her part of the house. That was the expensive part !!!!!!! I have started building stands and getting tanks set up. My long term goal is just to be successful. Success to me is accomplishments, not anything else.

Tyler: Currently I have around 10 tanks ranging in size from a 10 to a 125 gallon. I have a pair of kribs and a dozen angels I am growing out, but other than that I have all discus. Most are from Mike Wells of A Discus Dream, of which I have two pairs from, and they're still growing! Joe Szelesi then gave me a beautiful Leopard Snakeskin when I met him, thanks Joe!

I have recently begun to setup my fishroom in the basement. Its got one rack containing a 125 and a couple other tanks, plus some more tanks sorrounding it on stands. I also have a 150 gallon holding tank which I use to age and heat water till I pump it into the tanks after w/cs. Hopefully I'll have all my tanks in the basement soon, so it should make for a nice little setup. Of course I am always expanding though, some plans for the future are an R/O system and some piping through the ceiling for changing water. Truth be told though, I'm not really all that sure what my long term plans for the fish are. Right now I'm just enjoying growing them, and hopefully I'll start to have a steady flow of fry in the next couple months.

Question: What strains are you the most happy with? Which do you think are less impressive? What strain/s do you like best, personally?

Francisco: I love wild discus, all of them. It may be that there is psychological component to it, such as having a bit of my country and my origins with me in the US, but I prefer them above all other discus. I do admire the hybrids, and have a soft spot for wild-type domestics. F1s are cool too. Among true hybrids, good classic red turquoise are my favorites, although I also like spotted fish and good snakeskins. I do not like albino, white or ghost fish, but appreciate the skill involved in creating such variants.

Jack: I love my Blue Diamonds. They are the pair that has given me joy !!! I like all strains that are healthy and have good shape and coloration.

Tyler: At the moment I have just gone back to liking the big, round, healthy fish, whatever strain they may be. I am getting into the wilds and stuff though now, so maybe Ill pick up some of them in the future. I have never been a fan of Pigeon Bloods though, no matter how hard Cary has tried to convert me! But if I really had to pick just one personal favorite right now.......I think I would just have to go with good ol Blue Diamonds.

Question: What do you feed your discus?

Francisco: I give a varied diet, and I have been changing over time. I feed my discus (all are between young adults and mature fish) twice/day, about 6am and 6pm. For the last year, the morning feeding is pellets, alternating Tetra Colorbits, mixed Azoo red and blue, and Jehmcos better sinking bits. In the afternoon I alternate frozen mysids, bloodworms, brine shrimp, beefheart, but lately have used almost exclusively California blackworms in the pm feeding. On weekends I have time to harvest red wigglers, and usually replace the am feeding for one of the items above. My beefheart has spirulina, earthworm and ground krill, in addition to shrimp, whole silversides and vitamins.

Jack: I feed lots of CBW's, Beefheart, Mysis shrimp, Hikari bloodworms and some flake.

Tyler: Right now I am feeding Hikari Bloodworms, California Blackworms, Ocean Nutrition flakes, and the Hikari Discus Red pellets. My fish have become pretty much spoiled now though, and really only accept those foods. Hopefully with my next batch I will try to get them some beefheart and see if I notice any different results with that.

Question: What kind of filtration system do you use?

Francisco: I am an Aquaclear fan, and most my tanks have 300s and 500s. But I also like Penguin biowheel filters (330s), modified using lava rock and aquaclear sponges. All my filters have sponge prefilters. I have Magnum canisters but not in discus tanks anymore. I do not run sponge filters because I am not breeding, and because they tend to be noisier. In the next location I will use sponges.

Jack: I am using sponge filters on bare bottom tanks.

Tyler: I use pretty much the most simple filtration you can get......sponge filters! You gotta love those Hydro sponges, they are just too cost effective and easy to use anything else.

Question: What is your most exhilarating moment with discus?

Francisco: It has come several times, and has consisted in seeing a very sick or dying rescued fish turn around and become a beautiful animal that I am proud to show. With the exception of the 3 Curipera I recently bought from Oliver, all my fish have been rescues from LFS, or from unskilled/uncommitted former owners. That is a total of 16 rescues, although the last two look very rough right now and it isnt clear if they may improve much.

Jack: The best moment to date was when I seen my Blue Diamond fry go to the parents sides. No greater feeling in the world to me. This is my first spawn to get this far. Each day is a success.

Tyler: I would say when i got my first batch of free swimmers had to be my best experience with discus so far. Although the fry didnt make it, it was really interesting and just amazing to watch. Hopefully I'll have a new most exhilarating moment soon......being able to raise my own fry!

Question: What is your most frustrating moment with discus?

Francisco: It must have been the first year, when I inherited the contents of a friends 55 gal tank, including 4 domestic discus, tetras, cories and plecos. I set-up a planted discus tank and watch the discus die a bit more each day until gone. I then bought 2 wild blues, and they fared no better. I know that planted discus tanks are not only possible, but can be very successful. I just don’t think it is advisable for newbies to start that way. I failed and almost gave up on discus. Then, I began rescuing fish in barebottom tanks and began to learn. I continue to learn a bit more each day. I have learned not to brag too much. Several times that I have done just that about something I am doing very well, I come home to find dark discus that are distressed about something that I cant explain. It is best to be humble and the fish will do well.

Jack: I thought I was doing great !!! I had made several trips to pick up discus. I had bought from several breeders. Things were great. I believed I was on top of the world. I had invested over $10,000 in fish. I worked all the time, scraping every dime to buy more. I had gotten several mated pairs, adults, sub adults and Juvies. I just knew things were going to explode. That many fish, it was to be a given. Then my world collasped !!!!!!!!! Overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One fish I had bought was a carrier of a nasty bacterial problem. Can't say what fish, but it started in one tank, then another, then another. It was an airborne problem that hit fast, accurate and DEADLY. I didn't know what it was. I called discus friends I had, and even with the suggestions and the medications, fish kept dying. In the first week, over 200 fish had died. Then each day, more would follow. The highlight to my day was a guessing game of how many I figured would be dead once I got home. What was the worst part? I was medicating and nothing worked. I finally sent fish off to a diagnostic lab for analysis. The fish had 3 types of Bacteria and almost all medications were ineffective. The bacteria were resistant to the meds I had tried. I had bought almost $500 of meds for nothing. Not this time !!! When it was all said and done, 350 discus had died, thousands of angels and all my Africans. I was down to 6 tanks from 46. I was depressed and just moped around. I was physically as well as emotionally wiped out. The spunk I once had was gone. I was a walking Zombie. My family could tell, my friends, my chat buddies, everyone. You give a hobby everything you have and then it is gone so quick. There are times I wanted to call it quits. But I have never let those words be part of my vocabulary. I had hit bottom, I couldnt get any lower. I was left with a dozen adults and had a shipment coming in. If they hadnt been ordered, I may have never done it. I think these fish is what helped me get back to my old self. Finally my Blue Diamonds felt good and spawned. It has been uphill ever since !!!!!!!!!!

Tyler: I must say, I have been extremely lucky with the fish so far. I dont mean to jinx it but....... I have had no health problems or anything else. If I had to pick one though, I would say its the same one as my most exhilarating moment. I really was mad when Ii lost that first batch of fry, but hopefully it won't matter soon.

Question: Do you have any future discus plans that you would like to share with us?

Francisco: Yes, once we move, I do plan on attempting breeding and I hope to have some success. I will also concentrate more (but probably not exclusively) on discus. I also would like to participate in a discus collecting trip, but have no specific plans. For now, the question is how am I going to move the discus with me? Big problem.

Jack: I just want to get back to the point where I was before !!! I want to get my room automated !!!

Tyler: Maybe I'll be able to start to produce fry sometime in the next couple months. I would love to be able to sell the fish to local people and at fish clubs......and maybe pay for some of the cost in food. For right now though I'm just happy enjoying the fish, and working on the fishroom

Question: How do those in your life feel about discus?

Francisco: Melinda has been very supportive, but doesn’t really share the enthusiasm for fish. I guess she is happy that I am happy and I love her for that. Sometimes commitment to water changes has affected other plans and she doesnt like that. But she likes to meet my discus friends and has been a great sport. Maya wants a tank in her room…My mom has always been happy that I followed in her footsteps. The only one out of 6 children.

Jack: My wife hated my fish. They cost lots of money with electricity and food. Slowly over the last few years she has started to come around. Two things brought her into the fold. The fry on the parents sides and she loves making Betta vases. Now she is doing WCs when I am away and loves the fish !!! I truly am blessed to have a great partner !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyler: My family has been VERY supportive about this entire hobby for me. Mom loves the fish, and Dad is always there to help with the building of things. Other people sometimes think I'm crazy.......but at least those in my own household don't complain! And many people here can attest to how my mom has driven me from here (NJ) all the way to NYC and CT for discus gatherings.

Question: In your time with discus, what do you feel you have enjoyed the most?

Francisco: Admiring them. Watching them become fuller and more colorful. Seeing ugly holes in the head become faint scars.

Jack: The thing I enjoy most is travelling to see new discus friends. I have put lots of miles to pick up fish. Visits to Great Lakes, A Discus Dream, Blue Moon Discus, Rare Breed and lots of individuals. I have met Jack Wattley and had a chance to spend a few minutes talking to him. I am leaving tonight for a trip to Louisiana but will stop by and see John Nicholson and Beth Adams. Every business trip or vacation has fish stops involved.

Tyler: The thing I have enjoyed most about this hobby really hasn't even been the fish.....but the people I have met while dealing with them. I have made so many friends online with this common interest, and have even begun to meet a number of them in person. Just take Al and Joe for an example. Al let about 20 of us discus nuts in his own house, to go crazy in the fishroom. And Joe, the first time I met him, gave me a beautiful leopard ss that he brought for me. Plus, I got to meet Cary! lol. I must say, discus people really are the best!

Question: Do you have any funny, amusing or interesting discus stories to share with us?

Jack: I have been blessed with lots of wonderful fish deals and tank acquisitions. The most notable so far was a visit to Wichita, Kansas. I answered a post on a forum about angelfish. The post said was anybody interested in Angelfish Pairs?? I replied and asked how much?? That trip I came home with 5 mated pairs of angels and about 2000 juvie angels. No cost !!!! But then right before I left , I was asked if I was interested in the hatchery setup?? I left and I got an E-mail when I arrived home on the total cost. 20 tanks, 20 adult discus, 160 gpd RO, all the supplies (heaters, lights, filters, ph meters) for $700. Now the funny part was I got pulled over for speeding on the way home with the setup. I told the officer I needed to get the Discus home and into a heated tank ASAP. He smiled, told me he had never heard that excuse before, slow it down and have a nice day.

Tyler: Well, no one event comes to mind, but I have had PLENTY of floods to go around. Not sure if I found them funny at the time.....but looking back, they really were!

Question: Do you have any thanks or credit to give for your success with discus? Any mentors or colleagues who you think deserve some applause?

Francisco: Yes. The various forums, with all participants, experienced and otherwise have been invaluable to me. When I began with discus, TeddyJ from Australia, whom I dont know personally and doesnt post anywhere anymore, was the single most helpful and dedicated person I can think of. He answered my questions both on the Buffo forum and by e-mail, and was very patient. I wish he would visit some of the current forums for I think he is a good guy despite having received a lot of fire. The next one was fairly recent and may come as a surprise. Over a year ago, we had the first Northeast discus meeting at Als, the Brewmasters house. It was John (DarkDiscus), Don Lee, Al and myself, along with our families. That afternoon, speaking with Al, and seeing his setup and having him answer my questions was the single most instructive day in my 3 years of discus keeping. Sure I knew some things already, but magic happened to me that day nonetheless. Plus the food, the beer and the company were great as well.

Jack: I am not sure success with discus is something for me to comment on. I have had some accomplishments and I am truly thankful for those. I want to thank everyone who has supported me through this past 6 months. It hasn't been easy but I am truly blessed to have such great friends.The close knit group in the chat room has been great. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I couldn't have done it without you !!!!!!!!! I do have to thank Cary, Matt, Joe, Russ, and Mike for taking my phone calls when I needed answers fast. I know you are busy and I tried to be respectful of your time. But things are better now and you helped me out more than you could ever imagine !!!

Tyler: A lot of credit has to go to me parents for just plain putting up with me and the hobby. They even let me take over the basement! I also have to thank Mike Wells for really hooking me up with some great fish, even when I was so new to the hobby. I have to thank everyone here at simply, as I wouldn't even have these fish without you. But most of all I really have to thank Ryan, the admin here. He taught me pretty much everything when I was first coming around, and really made me feel comfortable here.

Question: What do you see as the future of discuskeeping? More/less people? Any cool ideas for strains?

Francisco: I see a lot of progress in keeping and breeding wild discus, and in using wild discus to reinforce established strains and developing new ones. I hope to see much more F1s of fully blooded wild varieties, and creative use of same in F2s and hybrids. It is refreshing to see young people, such as Tyler, be so tremendously enthusiastic about fish and discus, and being successful at an early age. Judging from my local aquarium society (Bostons) this is unfortunately an exception rather than a trend. I hope to be proved wrong.

Jack: I would like to see more quality fish in the LFS. We do that and we will see more people get into Discus. I will let the experts work on the new strains.

Tyler: I really dont see the hobby going anywhere but up. Especially with the old myths being laid to rest by all the successful discus keepers. These websites alone have done a ton for the hobby here in the U.S., and hopefully we can continue to help the hobby grow. As for ideas for new strains......I'll leave that up to the real breeders!

Question: Can you think of anything I left out you would like to bring up - either personally or discus related?

Francisco: Only that I am very appreciative of the wonderful effect the administration, moderation and in general the two main North American discus forums are having on the hobby of discus keeping, both in the US and globally. I am very lucky to be a participant. I believe that friendly competition (perhaps better, complementation) is so much better than the bickering and nastiness that plagued the scene just a couple of years ago. In other words, great job guys, keep it up, and my sincere thanks.

Jack: The last thing I would like to say is this. Does everyone have a game plan for themselves. What is your plan? To what lengths are you willing to go if you have a problem like I did. Are you capable or even willing to spend money to have a fish tested?? Do you a close friend to rely on?? Is the advice you are giving about disease correct?? If you are not qualified to answer,dont !! Heat and salt didn't work for me this time,all it did was accelerate my losses. It is sound advice at times, just not everytime!! I have hit bottom and hated it there!!! I said I would never quit and I won't !!! I will just work more and get back to where I was.

I am honored to have been able to share this experience. There are so many others that deserve this spotlight !!!!!! But if you ever get down in the dumps and feel like quitting, give me a call. I have been though it, I can help you out too !!!!!!!!!
    Thank you John and Simply for letting me share !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyler: I just want to say how big a part of my life these fish have become. I spend so much time feeding them, watching them, and changeing their water its gets crazy. And when I'm not doing that, I'm on these forums! They definitely keep me busy and happy. Thanks for interviewing me John, and I just want to tell all the Admins and Mods here at SimplyDiscus what a great site you have created. Keep it up!

Default Re:JANUARY MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - Francisco, Jack and Tyler

Great interview, guys! See, I told you all it wouldn't be too painful. Do you all want to post some pictures of your fish, yourselves, your family, etc. to go along with it?

Ryan ;D

BTW - I know Tyler's last name.

Don_Lee

Great to get to know all 3 of you better, these spotlights are one of the best parts of the forum IMO. Great job John!

Don ;D

Registered Member

Thanks for interviewing me John. And it was great to learn more about you both, Jack and Francisco.
    I'll try to post a couple picks of the unfinished fishroom.

Tyler

Registered Member

another....

Don_Lee

Tyler-I see a plant in one of those tanks...now you have more plants than I do! LOL, who would have thought that day would come?

Don

Registered Member

the holding tank...

Registered Member

Yep, thats a potted amazon in my angel tank. I got it at a fish club a couple months ago.....and its still alive!
    Oh, and i forgot to tell you my last name.....hehe, but we could make this into a fun guessing game, couldn't we?

Tyler ____?

p.s. It starts with an S

Registered Member

hehe three for the price of one. Well done John.

Cheers,

Chi.

Great interview's!!! good job John!!!

darcy

Registered Member

Great Interviews! Very enjoyable. Tyler- that fishroom is too darn neat! Ryan- thanks for getting rid of your dancing banana! Jack- yup, been there! Francisco- Good stuff. DD- Nice job as always. Frank

That Was Great! Thanks Guys
    Cary Gld!

Great interview everyone....Hey Tyler, what is the prize for guessing your last name because I know it....your mom told my wife while we were in NY......

Randy

Registered Member

Great interviews guys. Thanks for sharing. Always nice to get to know our discus buddies from over the sea a bit better.

Cheers, Scott

Registered Member

Thanks a lot everybody ! I enjoyed doing it and it was an honor, pleasure, and rare pleasure to be there with Tyler and Jack. Thanks John and Simply.
    Just a couple of pictures for now.
    First is a Manacapuru blue (of course a rescue!). Notice how thick it is !! She used to have HITH (not even scars now), but fin nicks are still healing, even after a long while.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast