ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: YOU DON'T NEED TO CHANGE YOUR pH!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: YOU DON'T NEED TO CHANGE YOUR pH!

Then best to get a API GH/KH test kit.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

yeah I suppose that would be the best route.

Before I got hurt, I use to raise dogs as a hobby. I knew breeders and hunters that fed their dogs bread that the local factory sold dirt cheap. Bread and water. That's it. I never heard of one dying, but just because you "know somebody" that does that, doesn't make it the right way to go. Oh, and MANY discus owners do an 8ph? Name 10.
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

Real Name
    Pat

I do. I keep domestics in 8.2 which is the ph of my well water after aging for four hours. I have also raised wild discus fry in such water.
    Pat

raising yes. how about breeding?

many ppl keep discus in high ph no problems. my issues came because i'm trying to breed. used ro to lower the tds and the ph dropped to 6. question is now how to buffer it and remain at 6-6.5 I dont' wish to change it much from where it naturally is from the ro. meaning no ph bounce

Real Name
    Pat

I only worry about a low GH (70ppm) for breeding purposes.
    Pat

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

"Oh, and MANY discus owners do an 8ph? Name 10" Really? Who are you to tell people to name 10? If you do not want to keep your at 8 then don't. What many of us are saying is that unless your ph is completely off the charts it is far better to keep a stable ph by leaving it alone than it is to mess with it. The vast majority of people do not have to skill to do so and all they do is cause their ph to bounce, often killing their fish. I have no clue what my ph runs. I do not bother to check it because in the long run it just really does not matter in most situations. If you want to breed then get an RO unit, make suer your water is soft and then raise all of the babies you want.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

you do have to be mindful of it though because if you take fry from my breeding tank at RO mixed at a ph of 6 and dump them into the well water of 8.3 they may have some issues.

I am curious about low ph affects on spawns. ive been told lower ph helps but I wonder who is successfully breeding in higher ph's and what kind of hatch rate they saw.

this pair had a very nice hatch rate in a ph of 6 with a tds of 122. straight ro/di mixed with the ro right from kent marine.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    "Oh, and MANY discus owners do an 8ph? Name 10" Really? Who are you to tell people to name 10? If you do not want to keep your at 8 then don't. What many of us are saying is that unless your ph is completely off the charts it is far better to keep a stable ph by leaving it alone than it is to mess with it. The vast majority of people do not have to skill to do so and all they do is cause their ph to bounce, often killing their fish. I have no clue what my ph runs. I do not bother to check it because in the long run it just really does not matter in most situations. If you want to breed then get an RO unit, make suer your water is soft and then raise all of the babies you want.

-john
    Is there a way to like posts here?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by inigomontoya View Post
    Is there a way to like posts here?
    There is no like system, sorry.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Ants at a picnic. We are not talking about "the people who do not have the skill". Who are you to label different skill levels of discus owners. Where do you put yourself in that grouping? A guy new to the forum, but defintely not the sport has an opinion and the charter members jump on with both feet. I don't think anybody OR their discus would be happy with that high of ph. It's been known from Dr. Axelrodi's days and still applies. If they breed better and the fry do better, they're telling you something. I choose to listen. You can learn alot by listening.
    Woodduck

I am simply a guy who raises literally thousands of discus a year and has for about the last 20 or so. A guy who has seen what happens when people try to mess with their ph. If you think your fish will do better at a lower ph than by all means do that, but until you have tried just leaving it alone I don't think you should be offering advice that you don't know anything about. Do what you want with your fish but when you start offering advice that can very easily cause new folks to kill their discus then I will step in to offer my opinion as someone that has been there and done that. Axlerodi ? LOL. When you do the whole google, copy and paste deal you ought to at least get it right. His name is Axlerod.

-john
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 04-09-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Removed unneeded reference

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    you do have to be mindful of it though because if you take fry from my breeding tank at RO mixed at a ph of 6 and dump them into the well water of 8.3 they may have some issues.

I am curious about low ph affects on spawns. ive been told lower ph helps but I wonder who is successfully breeding in higher ph's and what kind of hatch rate they saw.

this pair had a very nice hatch rate in a ph of 6 with a tds of 122. straight ro/di mixed with the ro right from kent marine.

I have never had a fish that had issues with going from a lower ph to a higher ph. It is the other way around that causes problems. When you get fish shipped in the ph is often very low in the bags but not in your tanks. Most of us will suggest that you just take the fish out of the bag and throw it in the tank. The last thing you want is any of the old bad water in your tank or any of your clean tank water in the bag. At the low ph in the bag the ammonia is locked away. The golden rule going from a lower temp to a higher temp...fine....going from a lower ph to a higher ph fine.....The other way around may or may not cause problems depending on the exact situation.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Dear John
    You're dead wrong, I was thinking of him when I wrote that, but my brain said his name in what matters most to us. Symphysodon aequifasciata AXELRODI.
    Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod
    President
    T.F.H. Publications, Inc.
    I have the original bible by Dr. William T. Innes that I've had before you were born. So get off my back, please. I don't want your spot, whatever that is. Your way might be right, but mine is definitely not wrong. In any circle..
    Woodduck

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast