ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a laxitive. It will help constipated, bloated fish pass feces (poop). You use 1 or 2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons of tank water. Disolve the epsom salt in a cup of water and pour into tank. It should work in 2 to 4 hours. You can redose after 4 hours, but if it hasn't worked in 24 hours, it probably won't work at all.

Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps discus gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations. A typical dose is 1 or 2 tablespoons per ten gallon of tank water disolved in a cup and poured in tank. This treatment usually lasts a week or so.

To keep the salt concentration stable you must add more salt when you add clean water to the tank. Let's say you have removed 10 gallons of water for a water change and will be adding 10 gallons of clean water back. Add another 1 or 2 tablespoons salt to replace the salt lost through water change.

While epsom salt and regular salt are good on an occasional basis it is not good to have them in the tank all the time.

Carol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carol_Roberts; 11-07-2004 at 12:28 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re:Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt

Cool info Carol thank you!

Rob ;D

Registered Member

Good info Carol,......Good info

Registered Member

Carol:

Good info, will Epsom salt change the ph ? ???

Carol,, Good public service--I would like to add that the salt used in aquaria must be non-iodized. Plants do not appreciate salt.

Nicefishman, All salts raise the ph and hardness. Aquarium Salt and Epsom salts should be used in a hospital tank. Carbon will not remove these --only water changes will. But then we don't have carbon in our tanks --do we?

HTH, Joe

Registered Member

Carol:

Will Epsom salt change the pH ?

What about KCl (Potassium Chloride)??? It's sold at Home Depot in the Water Softner aisle. A large 5lbs bag costs only $6.56 and will last you forever. Good??? Bad??? Any differences???

Thanks.

A-

I have never tested the pH after using Epsom salt. However, It is one of the ingredients folks with soft water or straight RO water use to add minerals back to their water.

I have never used potassium Chloride.

CArol

Registered Member

Carol,
    I was wondering, how do you tell when your fish is constipated? If you could just give some pointers on what to watch out for.

Also, would it hurt to treat the entire tank or move the fish in question to a temperary tank form treatment?
    thanks
    Michael

Registered Member

Keep it up Carol. This is another one of your posts that I've booked mark for future reference

GARY

Hi MIchael:
    Constipated discus look uncomfortable. They shimmy and many times you can see a pinched area behind the stomach. If it's really bad they lose their balance and can't swim normally. You can treat the entire tank, it won't hurt the other discus.

Hi Guys; On the subject of constipation, I find that if feed my Discus, of any age live brine shrimp at least once a day there is no problem with irregularity. It's a natural alternative to epsom salt, plus your getting nutriments to your fish. On the topic of salt per se, a little Kosher Salt as per Carol's suggestion is on the money, 1 to 2 Tablespoons per ten gallons for grow outs as it adds the minerals they need to develope. I personally stay on the light side using only 1 TBSP per ten Gal. as my tap water comes in at a Ph of 6.2 - 6.8 & Dh of 2ppm to 8ppm, when it's on the high side nature I let take it course. Frequently Check your tap or well water for Ph & Dh it may have enough essential trace minerals. If not sure, either discontinue, get some help and always do your research. If still not sure it might be wise to get a sample of your supply water and your standing water to the Lab. If you want those fish healthy why not? Just Keep On Trucking: Sincerely: 8) 8) (Discus Devil)

Hi DD:
    I agree with you on the brine shrimp - they do add roughage to the diet and help keep discus regular.

I do not recommend adding salt to the tank on a daily basis - only as needed to relieve stress or combat illness. Sodium chloride (table salt, kosher salt, pickling salt, etc) won't raise your GH by add minerals to your water or alter the pH. It will increase the TDS as it is a disolved solid.

It's always a good idea to know the composition of your water. IF you are on city water you can get a printout from them. folks on wells have to take a smaple to a testing facility.

Registered Member

One thing on what Joe says above. You should not use regular salt in your planted tanks but you can definately use use epsom salt in your planted aquarium.

In fact epsom salt is magnesium sulfate which is one of the minerals that plants actually use. I use it as part of my fertiliser regiment.

Registered Member

GJ555 is correct, I just finished reading an article on growing Tomatoes, It stated if you put a teaspoon of epsom salt in the planting hole your tomatoes will grow stronger and taste sweeter.. I plan on trying this during the late spring... I'll let you know if it works...
    chuck

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast