AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt

Registered Member

Default Re:Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt

hi Carol;
    what is your idea about (I2) combination in table salt.
    isnt it toxic for fish? ???
    I did try it for brine shrimp but all of them died.offcoarce I dont know the real resen. :'(
    afshin

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I2 . . .is that iodine? I have used table salt with iodine in fish tanks for small doses ( one tablespoon per 10 gallons ) with no ill effects. Generally I try to keep a supply on hand of salt without iodine. I've been using up some sea salt to hatch baby brine shrimp eggs.

Registered Member

Dear Carol;
    What is your idea about the (I2) combination in table salt?
    isn’t it toxic for fish? :-[
    I did try it for brine shrimp, and all of them died. Offcourse I don’t know the exact reason of it.
    Afshin

Hi Afshin:
    What is I2?

Registered Member

Hi Carol,

Someone on an Angel forum was asking about the Epsom salt treatment for constipation....I referred them to your thread.

She had/has an extra question that is not addressed in your original post.

That is...

Does it have any impact to raise the temp during this treatment?

TIA
    Monette

Registered Member

hi carol
    as you know I2 is idione.
    Afshin

Hi Monnette:
    There is no need to raise the temperature when using epsom salt.

Hi Afshin:
    I try to use uniodized salt, but have used small doses (1 tbsp per 10 gallons) of salt with iodine. I have not seen any ill effects with limited use.

Registered Member

IODINE - IS A STERILIANT. It kills bacteria, fungus and some viruses.
    Although the amount of iodine is small, in ''TABLE SALT - IODIZED SALT''; it can affect the biological bacteria.

Iodine is necessary for the human body to surive. Processed foods use table salt to add this iodine back into the food [ a cheap preserviant] and is a medical source for human iodine.

Iodine and clorine - very nasty stuff. Do be careful.

DO NOT USE IODIZED SALT !

Smokey

[quote author=Carol_Roberts link=board=21;threadid=6339;start=0#67279 date=1043020702]
    Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps discus gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations. A typical dose is 1 or 2 tablespoons per ten gallon of tank water disolved in a cup and poured in tank. This treatment usually lasts a week or so.

To keep the salt concentration stable you must add more salt when you add clean water to the tank. Let's say you have removed 10 gallons of water for a water change and will be adding 10 gallons of clean water back. Add another 1 or 2 tablespoons salt to replace the salt lost through water change.

While epsom salt and regular salt are good on an occasional basis it is not good to have them in the tank all the time.
    [/quote]

Hey Carol, I have a few questions regarding this post.
    1) It seems contradictory. You mention that if you take out 10gallons you should replaced the lost salt through 1-2Tablespoons in the next 10gallons but then you say to only use epsom and regular salt occasionally. And you say this treatment lasts a week, but salt stays in the water, so dosen't it last until you've effected a 100% water change?

2) So if kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat then couldn't i just add salt from the supermarket to save money? (i.e table salt) but then does it depend if it's iodized?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really confused!
    Luca.

Not contradictory at all. If you want to maintain salinity at 1-2 TbSp per 10g then you should add back salt for the water removed. Once you're done your unsalted water changes will remove the salt. If you change 50% daily you'll be down to <7% of the salt after 4 water changes. If you change less then you should increase your water changes to remove the salt quicker or just let it be removed over time.

Iodized salt isn't a good idea. Otherwise salt from the grocery store is fine. I use salt used for water softeners. I get it in 45lb bags for $4 at Home Depot.

Dave

Hi Luca:
    Normally I don't have any salt or epsom salt in my discus water.

A few weeks ago I purchased a dozen RSGxFlakes babies from Cary at Great Lakes Discus. They were shipped to me via Airborne Express. When I Put them in the 55 gallon tank I also put in 10 Tbsp. salt. The next day I removed 25 gallons of water and replaced it with 25 gallons of freshwater + 4 Tablespoons salt. I repeated this daily for about 5 days.

The salt is disolved in the water. When I removed 25 gallons of water I was also removing about 4 tablespoons of salt. Then I quit adding the salt with the 25 gallon water change. Each 50% water change removes 50% of the salt remaining in the tank. In just a few days the tank containes only fresh water.

I buy uniodized salt at the supermarket. Rock salt is kinda dirty. I haven't tried the water softener salt yet.

Registered Member

SO, the fairy tale is over !??
    Once person expresses the use of it and then does a 90' degree turn around. Who do you believe !
    Salt and Salts: two different items .

Salt; whether mined or distilled from the oceans; is only that - Salt.

Iodized Salt - Has been refined, made pure for human consumption, AND HAS IODINE added ! Iodine is a separte chemical. It is necessary for the survival of humans. Apparently , the human body can not produce iodine.

chemically speaking ; there are many books written about the importance of iodine; medical references.

Epson Salts - a different isalts.
    Iron - a salts
    calcium - a salts
    etc. - a salts.

Open up a distiller, the heating element has salts on it. The residue collecting on the glass of an aquarium - Salts.

Smokey.

Huh? you confused me Smokey?

Registered Member

on which point , Carol

Ive used and still use water softener salt that you buy in big bags from Home Deport! Works great!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast