ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt

Default Re:Difference between Epsom salt and regular salt

[quote author=Smokey link=board=21;threadid=6339;start=30#145135 date=1068435934]
    Some Times I wonder; other times I just turn my head and ignore the respondises.

Others - just surprize me.

MPO -

My persoanl appoliges to the Intellenegent people; all other persons --- be very aware of what you introduce into your tank.

Smokey

MY personal expirence ......
    [/quote]

A question on behalf of the entire board....what in theeee HELL are you talking about?! ???

Registered Member

how do i know whether the salt i purchased is epsom salt or regular salt? because sometimes there is no label.

It should say either Epsom salt (or magnesium sulfate)

or salt if its regular salt (it usually says whether it contains iodine or not also)

hth

Registered Member

it just state aquarium salt.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Aquarium salt is regulars salt like table salt. You will not find epsom salt at the fish store. You will find epsom salt at the grocery store in the drug section or drug store - people use it to soak their feet

Registered Member

is there any other ways to help me discus pass feaces? i think i have a cobalt, constipated for around 1 month. i have never seen it pass out any feaces b4. it has poor appetite too. is it stunted?

IF you cobalt has not eeaten for a month there probably is no feces to pass.

IF his stomach has been swollen for a month I would suspect a bacterial infection. Unfortunaltely these do not respond well to treatment.

You might try a course of kanacyn and/or metronidazole

Registered Member

Default To use aquarium slat or not?

Thought you might be interested in Jack Wattley's response to using aquarium salt in a discus tank, quoted from the February 2004 issue of "Tropical Fish Hobbist". . .

"As a rule, salt (sodium chloride) is not necessary in a discus tank."
    "Any addition of salt in the aquarium will increase the conductivity (hardness) of the water."
    "I wouldn't concern myself with any thoughts about adding salt to the aquarium."

There is hardly anyone who I have more repect for in the keeping of discus than Mr. Wattley. . . you would think with that comment I would let things rest. . . but. . .

IMVHO aquarium salt appears to have more benefits to using it than drawbacks.
    Although in their natural habitat there may be little salt if any in a discus' home waters, however that is not a basis to determine whether to use salt in a home aquarium with discus. There is a tremendous difference in the two environments (but I'm sure you all recognize that).

What I have found is as others have stated is that it can help reduce stress. . . and you know how stressed-out our little discus buddies can get (just approach their tank a little too quickly and you have propably found out :-)

Using aquarium salt IMVHO quickly eliminates newly developing fungus on discus fins (very quickly, certainly within 24 hours). I have also found that split fins heal rapidly with the use of salt, again within a day or two.

Many of you might agree with me so far. . . but, how about regularly using a small amount of salt?

Here is I believe where opinions differ :-)

My own personal belief is that there is enough things going on in your/my aquarium that one of those fish are going to get or contract some kind of boo-boo (that's scientific for infection, split fin, etc.). How much is a little. . . maybe one-half to one tablespoon per 10 gallons of water, since everyone's water chemistry is a little different.

When Jack Wattley poled various breeders of discus from around the world in his book "Discus for the Perfectionist," The main ingredient to keeping discus happy was "water changes, water changes." Certainly this is the key to maintaining discus, one that thou shalt not break. . . assuming you want to keep discus. Although frequent water changes alone will solve many of the problems, adding a little salt just adds to their overall well-being.

Then again, maybe it is just me thinking that a pinch of salt makes the difference (must be the Italian in me :-)

While salt does increase the conductivity and tds (total disolved solids) it does not increase hardness.

Homes with water softeners have high tds, but the warter is very soft. Water softeners replace the calcium and magnesium ions with salt.

I don't keep salt in the tank. I save it for when I have a problem.

Registered Member

Thanks for the input Carol. . . what is your main reason to not add salt on a regular basis?

I think of salt for discus as like Nyquel for me. Nyquel does not cure my cold but helps alleviate symptoms of the cold. I could take Nyquel every night, but there is no need. Perhaps I would build a tolerance to it and need to take a larger dose when actually ill or perhaps the acetomeniphen would damage my liver over time. Same with salt for discus. Do the cell membranes adjust to a constant increased level of salt? Does salt over a long period of time affect the discus kidneys?

Registered Member

I respect your opinion, just not sure the comparisons you make are applicable.

There are many things we take or use on a regular "moderate" basis that helps improve or sustain our lives. It is not a foregone conclusion that taking or using something on a regular basis (we are still talking about moderate use) is harmful. . . the opposite could be true.

Taking a Children's Bayer Aspirn each day has been shown to prevent heart attacks in humans is an example. A glass of red wine each day might be another.

I'm not sure these are the greatest examples, but it might make a point of doing something is better than not.

I realize my post was speculative, based on my own personal experiences. It seems to work???

Registered Member

[quote author=jason87 link=board=21;threadid=6339;start=45#msg156191 date=1072345456]
    how do i know whether the salt i purchased is epsom salt or regular salt? because sometimes there is no label.
    [/quote]

Hello. U can go to most pharmacy to get it. I dun think Watson sell them thou... It's abt $3.00 plus minus.
    Oh yeah prepare a container to store it. ;D

Registered Member

Here's an article that may help clear up the confusion about "salts".
    http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/salt.html

Real Name
    Shari

I use Epsom salt on my horses to draw out infection and to bring down swelling.
    It's also good for aching feet......aah

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast