AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Change and Stress

Default Water Change and Stress

I want to ask about stress. Not mine.. the fish
    I am doing daily water changes and all the parameters of the water seems very good but I am wondering about how stressed out the fish seem to get when I do the change. Some have suggested that the current of all the filtration I use (AC 500 and 300 along with 2 hydro sponges) is too much in my 55 gal but how about the addition of 25 gls of water everyday. I do not have a drip system nor can I afford to do so. I use a python to remove the old and so the buket thing for my aged water.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Peter

Registered Member

Default Re:Water Change and Stress

Hi Peter,

Gee if your fish are acting funny after water changes then there could be a big difference from the water that you are adding in, and the water that is already in the tank.

What water are you using for water changes? is it stored water (heated and airated overnight) or is it straight tap or RO with some sort of dechlorinator? Do you have Chloromines in your tap water supply? (you may be able to find this out by going to your water supplier's website). Here is some very good info on aging water and other useful info:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=1150

You may want to check your tank perameters vs your water change water perameters. If there is a large difference such as PH, temperature or GH (or anything else you can think of) that may be the reason why they are stressed.

Please post your checks and maybe we can see somethign that is not quite right.

Welcome to the board by the way!
    Chong

With your pre treated water are you storing it in a clean container? Are you absolutely sure it is contaminant free?

Do you heat it to match your tank temp?

Do you aerate it to remove co2?

How long does it age it before it is used?

What is the chlorine and/or chloramine content of your tap water?

Andy

Registered Member

Hi Peter,
    Are you using an aquaclear 300 and 500 on the same tank. That really seems like overkill. Either one of those loaded with 2 or 3 sponges would suffice for a 55. As far as water's concernedl, if you have chloramines try using prime or amquel as they help with the ammonia. The fish will slowly get used to the water change routine.

Chris

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

My discus used to huddle in the back of the tank and glare at me after a water change. Back then I didn't know about pH swing. The pH of my tap water is 6.8, but after 24 hours of circulation in the tank (or in a storage barrel) it raised to 7.8!

So there I was trying to do the right thing by changing 1/3 of their water and in reality I was subjecting them to a big drop in pH. Now I can do 90% water changes and the discus swim happily about.
    CArol

Water changes afford time for interaction with your fish. Many of mine rub up against my hand and love the incoming stream of water. If done with a pump, it also temporarilly infuses oxygen by surface agitation. I do not recommend doing water changes by means of the " Bucket Brigade ". This can be stressful by being too forceful--knocking the fish around. A python is a good method ---but can also result in cross contamination if there are more than one tank--especially when used as a syphon. I have separate syphons for each tank and wash my hands before going to the next tank.

Using a python to add back the awter is fine if not allowed to touch the water of each tank. I do not feel this is over-paranoa--just being on the safe side!

HTH, Joe

Don_Lee

Great advice Joe! Thanks!

Don

Registered Member

My mother is elderly and keeps awesome Discus. She is set in her ways about some things, including using buckets to do water changes. The best Christmas gift I ever gave her was a standard child's red wagon (Radio Flyer). Her buckets fit nicely in the wagon and she can easily move them from one room to the next without hurting her back. Of course the lifting is another thing, but this is part of her weekly exercise, so she isn't too keen on replacing it with a python.

I am still toting buckets myself, but I am hoping to change this in the next couple of weeks. Until then, I will continue to build my upper body strength ;D

Anna, Lose the buckets and replace em' with a keg of beer---more resistance = better upper body strength. That Red Flyer will be able to tote a keg without a struggle--but you will have to put in a big muck bucket for the ice to keep the beer chilled. More weight is a +. My personal trainer says don't bother with the 1/4 kegs ( they're for wimps! ) Joe ;D

How about a pond pump and hose from Walmart for Mothers day. ;D

Carol

Registered Member

Ok...lemme see...if I follow instructions carefully I will be one happy Walmart Shopper (1 Keg of beer, 'cause I'm no wimp + 1 trip to Walmart for a pump and hose)!

All your water changing needs can be found at the HOME DEPOT. Pumps, tubing, PVC pipes, salt and etc. All that I have to say is try not to change the water parameters so drastically that you would end up stressing out the little buggers. Even Aged Water can throw things off.... just check before and after the water parameters of what is in the tank and what's going into the tank. *nuff*

A-

Registered Member

How long have you had your fish? if they are new fish they might just need some time to get used to you cleaning their tank.

Great question Fossil~
    I have only had the fish a few weeks and I am just now brginning to get the hang of this whole thing. Actually this week the little guys seem to be warming up to me! They are hanging out and enjoying(?) the water changes. I have been more careful about the force of the water by pouring in gal jugs of the aged water at a time. I think I will take a trip to Home Depot soon to get a pump. What size/brand/style do people suggest. I use a 22 gal rubbermaid container for my holding tank.
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    Peter

Remember, it's not how far you pump the water, it is how high. In your case, you only need to pump about 5 feet high. Don't get one that is too small (gallons per hour). You want to fill the tank up fast without creating a tidal wave. You can use a larger pump for a 55 gallon tank than a 29 gallon tank.
    Carol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast