ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accurate thermometers???

Default Re:Accurate thermometers???

yeppers....it was Jim Sheddon. and cary has one he got from him. guess we should ask cary how it worked.

I just looked at the point and shoot models at the site that Randal suggested. They work with laser. Accurate only yet again +/- 2F. They do have a digital that's 0.2+/- F. Something like $198 bucks. The need to know is not a big priority anymore I think the el cheapos will do.
    To correctly calibrate you need to do a three point check, most of us can only use one. Using three gives the instrument a special rating and also makes it way too expensive.

Joan

Registered Member

I use radio Shack $9.95 digital thermometers, I really like them, They have a small platic probe with eight foot of wire.
    How accurate are they well I have 14 of them and if I put all of there probes in to the same tank they read 3/4 of a degree from the highest to the lowest reading ones.
    So at least they are accurate with each other, of course they all could be off.
    These are good little gifts, I get them for all accasions.
    You can read them from half way across the room so you can give the tank a quick temperature check at a glance.
    They take one AAA batery that last almost two years.
    Dennis

I use the same ones Dennis uses. IMO they are the only way to go. I have tested all mine and the difference was .3

HTH
    Miles

Registered Member

I recently ordered a glass thermometer from Big Al’s that showed my tank to be in the 20’s. I was thinking of trading in my discus for penguins. Sixty degrees off is not too inaccurate, is it?

Besides the previously mentioned one, when put next to each other, all of my other thermometers are within one degree. For fourteen dollars, ThatPetPlace sells a thermometer that is precise to within .2 degrees, unfortunately its range is from 64 to 86.

Registered Member

60 degrees off! are you sure you are keeping discus and not Antartic Cod? ;D

Chong

I should have known, Radio Shack! Now ten bucks for a digital that's somewhat accurate is worth it. Thanks for the tip! I've heard mention of Jalli's? Are these just controllers or do they also make the titanium heaters + controller? Doing a google search only turned up a controller which looks pretty slick.

JR

Registered Member

Check this out:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/Y5033

I am sold. I will go there tonight and pic one up. Looks too good for the price.

Chong

Joan,

They make both and work well. I have 2 800w that I use to heat my holding tank water. One was DOA other than that they have been working great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12