AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: scratching & darting

Default scratching & darting

Physical condition of the fish
    1. visible parasites (describe)=not visible but evidently they are there...
    2. stringy feces=no
    3. head standing=no
    4. bloated/ constipated=no
    5. Hole in the head, lateral line erosion=no
    6. spots, salt like flecks, velvety appearance,cotton like growths etc.=no
    7. excessive slime production=no
    8. labored breathing, disfunctional gill=no
    9. cloudy eyes=no
    10.darkened color=no
    11. faded color= some they are not as viberent
    12. other unusual changes...= they scratch and dart and some have clamped fins

Water parameters
    1. pH?=6.8
    2. Temperature=84
    3. hardness=?
    4. conductivity=?
    5. TDS=?
    6. R/O (reverse osmosis) filtered, or Tap (well or chlorinated city water), rain water=well
    7. Water change regime? ( example .. 30 % daily, weekly monthly etc)=50% daily
    8. appearance (cloudy, green , clear, yellowish etc)=clear
    9. Odor (smells clean or sulfur-lit match smell-anaerobic indicator)=smells clean

Tank parameters
    1. Size in gallons/liters?=37 gal.
    2. Substrate.? (bare glass, gravel, sand..)=bare
    3. Planted?=no
    4. Drift wood?=no

Filter types
    1 Wet/dry?=no
    2. Canister?=no
    3. hanging box( aquaclear whisper etc)?=AC 300
    4. sponges?=no
    5. supplimental Peat filter?=no
    6. supplimental air?=airstone
    7. Carbon, resin exchanges, ammo-chip?=no

General….
    1. Diet(what and how often do you feed you fish?=beefheart,tetrabits,krill,spirulina, feed 3 times a day
    2. Other tank occupants than discus?=no
    3. How many Discus in your tank?=3
    4. How long have you had them?=2 months
    5. Where did you get them (breeder/ Local Fish Shop -LFS)=breeder
    6. Tank and filter cleaning schedule?=weekly
    7. Medications/ salt treatments recently used or tried to treat this problem?=Jungle's Parasite Guard(i don't beleive it works to well)

Default Re:scratching & darting

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Your discus are scratching and darting.

Are they new discus? How old are they and how long have you had them?

Is your filter fully cycled - any ammonia or nitrIte in water?

Have you added anything new - new fish, new plants, etc?

Have you done a big water change and cleaned tank, if yes did they show any improvement?
    Carol

Hi Carol,

These aint the same ones that i posted about a week ago these were a new batch that were started the first of Dec.
    with a cycled tank its interesting to wonder what could've happen but by no means is it amussing.

they are a couple months old. filter is cycled haven't added anything new. Did a 50% W/C wiped down the inside cleaned the filter (not the sponges) they started darting more :'(

Registered Member

Out of curiosity, do you use any decholorination solution such as Amquel during WC?

You said you did a 50% WC and they started to dart more, I suggest you check your well water. The problems seem to lie there somewhere. It appears that during different season, the chemistry of the well water changes. I believe Carol uses well water (if i'm incorrect, please correct me) and I'm sure she can give you more detail about this.

Check for ammonia and chlorine for example. I'm sure someone here with more experience will be able to help you out.

Cheers,

Chi.

Registered Member

I had similar problem with fish. I think it is some kind of bacteria. From my expirience treating with kanacin or furan II should help.

It does make you wonder about your water source since they acted worse after a water change. Could the change water have a much lower pH than your tank water? Sometimes the water can change if you have heavy rains. Do you have chlorine or Chloramines in your water or are you on a well?

You have other tanks of discus and they are acting fine?, if yes then probably not water issue. These discus are young - could be bacterial. If you rule out water problem, then furan II is a mild antibiotic.

Carol

Hi Carol,

You have other tanks of discus and they are acting fine?, if yes then probably not water issue. These discus are young - could be bacterial. If you rule out water problem, then furan II is a mild antibiotic.
    Yep the other tanks are fine. I couldn't find anything wrong with the water. You mention Furan II is there an alternative to this? I found some Paragon II at the LFS but before i use it what's your opinion on this med. Is it worthy of a try or is BS? Nevermind looking at these three as i type there's white blotches on the sides of the fish...

Hi keanu,

Treat with a double dose of tetracycline HCL 2 caps per 10 GALs.

Treat for 6 days.
    On day 1 and 2 treat the tank double dose two caps per 10 GALs.

Day 3 to 6 one cap per 10 Gals. Clean Tank WELL before You dose! W/C Daily 50% while YOUR doseing!!!!!!!!!

NO lights! And keep tank fully Covered!

Keep temp at 86F. On day 3 raise it to 88F.

On Day 7 after doseing Add extra airstones and raise temp to 90F for a full 10 days.

Also I have heard of good results with Paragon II but IME I never used it. I believe its some sort of cocktail Med. Am sure Neomyacin is one of the meds thats mixed in.The other might be erythromycin and something else.

More then likely You are also dealing with a protozoan!
    but its really hard to say at this point. As of now You need to treat for Bacteria IME

The heat should help you out alot if a Protozoan is indeed in hand. In most cases Heat Alone will take care of common protozoan problems.

Keep your eye's open later on down the road for Poor Appetite's, Dark bodies, dashing,scraching, heavy breathing.

If this is the case You may need a strong External parasite
    Remedy.

Keep Us Posted!
    HTH
    Cary Gld!

I would try Cary's treatment. Make sure you have a good lid on the tank as I've read they will try to jump out.

CArol

Keep your eye's open later on down the road for Poor Appetite's, Dark bodies, dashing,scraching, heavy breathing.
    Cary,

This is the current status on my fish all three of them look like what you described here. What is the parasite remedy in which you speak of?

Btw. you have mail...

Kieth,
    If they are showing White patches use the TC first.

If their bodies are clean no slime bulid up or fin rot try Clout or fluke tads at 1/2 dose.

You Have Mail
    Cary Gld!