ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Storage Units

Registered Member

Default Water Storage Units

I need to replace my water storage bin and I'm looking for something of good quality between 50-100 gallons. I remember that someone posted a web site a while back - any suggestions?

I called local places for storage drums, but with no luck. I am hoping to get something really sturdy and commercial. I honestly don't care if I have to pay a lot, just for peace of mind.

John

Registered Member

Default Re:Water Storage Units

Darkdiscus,

I bought my used-55gal barrel for $29.95 at Baytec.

go to: http://www.bayteccontainers.com/index.html

new one is $39.95.

Registered Member

for the last few days, i have been kicking around the idea of building my own waterstorage out of wood, fiberglass matte, and resin. i am adept at things of this nature. ie. pressure vessels. though not under pressure from anything but its own weight.
    and have come up with a 467 gal design that should be quite sturdy, and easy to build. and an aquarium or two can sit on top, or make seating. this is a space saving design as it uses some of my voids. and gives me back where the barrels were going. just hope i can find a heater big enough.
    cg

Registered Member

I bought 4 55 drums at Building 19 3/4 discount stores, for $7.99 each. They were used for apple juice concentrate from Argentina, Chile and South Africa respectively, and still had encrusted apple conc. They don't always have them but it does happen.
    I hear CocaCola and Pepsi are likely sources as well.

A couple of sources for used stuff on the web are:
    www.recycle.net/commercial/contain
    www.theepicenter.com/water_drums
    I believe shipping would be prohibitive.

I am thinking of switching to some of the containers sold by
    www.aquaticeco.com, where a 155gal drum with lid is $102 plus shipping (product DM155) and they have bigger.
    HTH. Cheers, Francisco.

Registered Member

I just spoke with John at Jehmco regarding the storage units they have there plus some pumps and connectors. He offered me the 65 gallon unit plus a 500 gph pump with hardware to connect to tanks plus shipping for about $150. I think I am going to go that route as he can get it here in a few days and I'm basically all set.

That certainly works in my book!

John

John, One can fashion a water storage bin with a pond liner and some landscape ties to fit in a specific spot . I had gotten free 50 gallon drums from a hospital. Typically, hospitals that do kidney dialysis have these drums which are not refilled. What's in them? R/O water and saline solution--Just rinse and go. They pay to have them removed by a vendor. I asked a non-descript laborer for them while handing over a six pack---Worked for me! Got 6 drums. Joe ;D

Registered Member

John,

NO, NO, NO. Don't waste your money on buying storage containers. There are places looking to practically give them away. I get 50 gallon food grade drums for $2 - YES, that's 2 BUCKS ;D

Find a food processor in area. They bring in their raw materials in 50 gallon drums. Once they're empty they have no use for them. They take a little cleaning out but it's more than worth it.

Save the money for more tanks AND discus

GARY

Registered Member

Gary,

To be honest, I have had no time to track down storage bins - the 2 calls I did make were to the only food/distributors for a good distance - Pepsi and a food oil bottling company that I do some recruiting for. Pepsi had no intention of helping me out and the oil people re-use their drums for waste product. My current storage container sprung a leak, so I need a new one right away!

Those failures cost me 30 minutes of time and ordering from Jehmco cost me 15 minutes and I don't have to drive anywhere to pick the drums up or take the time to clean them!

HOWEVER! I am planning on tracking down 2 more storage bins for when I get a house and a fishroom - cheap recycled bins would work well for that, so I'm working on finding some of those right now!

John

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

If you need a large unit (250 gallons up) or have some space issues, you can make your own Reservoir using plywood, 2x4s for a frame and a pond liner. Using a submersible pump you can pump out water ... or you can put a small hole in the plywood and liner, attach a bulkhead, and rig up a little giant/Iwaki water pump to a tank-fill system. I built 2 of these ... a 250 gallon reservoir under my breeder rack (used to peat filter my water) and a 1000 gallon unit I used to degasse my tap water. I had leaking problems with the 1000 gallon (around the bulkhead), but no problems with the 250.

Jeff

Registered Member

Any farm stores in your area????? Rubbermaid has heavy duty oval tubs that they sell as horse troughs(sp) they hold about 100 gals,not sure what they cost..lots of help aren't I???????

Mench

well..i liked tylers water storage made by rubbermaid....in his spotlight pics. and id like to know where he found that.
    it looks very heavy duty and very large.
    but..also look under plastics in the yellow pages

Registered Member

I've looked into rubbermaid products and they do sell a few big units that would work, but there's no one who sells them around here. The rubbermaid unit I got to hold me over bows out way too much for me to be comfortable with it. I wanted something really sturdy. The unit I got from Jehmco is commercial grade plastic and will hopefully never spring a leak!

John

Registered Member

cgrim10

If i might suggest instead of using fiberglass, maybe you could consider using an epoxy paint used for potable water. It is a two part paint that many people I have spoken to have used to make aquariums. A lot easier to use than fibreglass and comes in whatever colour you want. Check out your local paint store (NOT HOME DEPOT) hardware stores will not likely carry these products. Or look up "coatings" in the yellow pages.

Daniel

John,
    I get my storage units from a local ferterlizer plant. These are food grade units. They have them from 50 gallons to 3000 gallons. The cost is 180. for a 165, and 200. for a 300 gallon unit.
    These are brand new units.
    Here is a their web site www.norwesco.com

HTH
    Miles

Registered Member

Miles,

They look like good quality - how have they worked for you?

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast