ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay Hotel

Registered Member

Default Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay Hotel

Hi all,
    I visited the "Shark Reef" aquarium display at Mandalay Bay Hotel last Sunday. It was a B-day present from my wife and was WELL worth it! They have mostly salt displays, but have some beautiful Golden Crocs found only in Thailand, along with a Pirahna(4 diff types) exhibit with lots of Tetras in with them. I didn't take the digital with me, as I had thought I was not allowed to photograph the displays........I was wrong. I have another pass to go back and will be taking my digital camera and my video camera. I'll post some pics on the site soon. It was an awesome display and they had a HUGE exhibit with Green Sea Turtles, Morays, Barracuda, Rays, Sand Tigers, Lemons and a breeding bunch of White Tips. I was like a kid in a candy store and talked to some of the employees about the exhibits. I was there at 9pm on Sunday night, so you can imagine there wasn't too many knowledgeable people to talk to at that hour. I did ask the "kid" at the Pirahna display what the purity(conductance) of the water was in that exhibit and got the reply of "I think it's R/O water." I then asked him if the plants in the exhibit were Asparagus Ferns and his reply was "Those are Tetras in there" : I just smiled , said "Thank you" and slowly backed away from the exhibit. It is well worth the money to see it, though! The smell in there is awesome, too. It is obviously in an enclosed building with a controlled environment to monitor temp, humidity, etc. and has plants everywhere.......I felt like I was in the jungle! No discus, though........maybe I'll suggest that to them!

Steve

Registered Member

Default Re:Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay Hotel

Steve Don't you live in L.V. or Henderson?
    I went last month and was impressed with the display also. I talked to one of the keepers for an hour and was really imp. with that jellyfish tank.
    Paul

cool steve...we had those golden salt water crocs. here in vancouver...they are travelling around...on display. i took pics of them. they had trouble with them getting along. had to keep swapping them in the display area.

Registered Member

Hi all,
    Paul, Yes I do live here in Vegas.......Henderson to be exact. You should've looked me up while here. I would've hooked up with ya.....maybe next time.

'Pril, the Goldens are in separate tanks here too. I will ask the keepers about them when I return with my full motion picture team ;D They have some HUGE Gourami's in a display, too. I think I saw some that were a foot and a half long. I thought they were Oscars from a distance!

Steve

Registered Member

Steve Thanks,I'll keep that in mind next time I'm out there.I have family that live in Henderson,so you may be hearing from me ;D

Paul

Registered Member

Steve,

I was there in Vegas in early September 2001 and visited the exhibit - the only requirements I had for my Vegas trip were the Shark Reef and the Star Trek Experience, in fact!

The reef was very cool and the other displays were neat. When I was there there were some discus, I believe, but only a small group of them in a bigger tank with a bunch of tetras. Of course I could be remembering wrong.

We waited on line for a good while, as I recall. I still have the mug my wife bought me there and drink from it every morning.

John