ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Powerhead question

Registered Member

Default Powerhead question

This is kind of a stupid question, but here goes....

I just bought a Hagen 802 for pumping water from a bucket into the tank for water changes - I'm sick of pouring from a small bucket : :-X. The thing is it doesn't look like it's submersible and the packaging says nothing either way. So, is it? The cord doesn't look like the cord on my heater or another small powerhead I have that I know is submersible.

It's not of much use to me if I can't just throw it in the bottom of a bucket of water. :'(

By the way...looking at everyone's great fish is driving me crazy! I want to set up my tank now!!

Yeah, I'm a grownup...*snerk*

Lisa

Registered Member

Default Re:Powerhead question

lcs -

The Hagen 802 Powerhead? Yes, it is submersible. I had a friend who ran his "lovely" undergravel filter with a couple of those suckers a few years back. Good for aeration, too!

John

Registered Member

Thanks John.

Yeah, I started out with one of those...ahem..."lovely" UGFs as well. Bleh. But that was five years ago and now I know better. 8)

Lisa

Lisa, yes as stated above the 802 is submersible and the great thing about it is that it is just the right size to hook up to a python hose set up.....The 802 wil not move a great deal of water per hour but it has to be better than useing a bucket like you are now...

Randy

Registered Member

Amen to that!!

Does anyone know why the cord doesn't look like cords on other submersible equipment?

Lisa

Registered Member

That's one I couldn't answer... I have the 203 (I think) powerhead in Nicaraguan cichlid tank and the cord seems just like the cord on - for example - a submersible heater. It's nothing special.

John

PS - Now that I'm thinking about this - Hagen makes the 802 AIR PUMP and isn't the powerhead an 803? I'm going to take a look at one of the online shops.

Registered Member

Nope - the powerhead I have is the 201. They make 802s in both powerheads and air pumps... That's sort of odd.

Anyway...

I think you're probably good to try it out and see if it pumps the water fast enough for your tastes!

John

Registered Member

Thanks, I will this weekend. Just to be uber-paranoid, I emailed Hagen and asked them also.

I think I'm just taking all this time with the equipment to keep me occupied until I can get the tank!! :

Lisa

Registered Member

Lisa,

I used to be an aquarium equipment junkie myself. I have tried nearly every type of filter made, all kinds of heaters, air pumps, powerheads, etc. I just liked trying them out and seeing what worked best...

It kills time and is kinda fun... In an odd sort of way.

;D

John