ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What's in your medicine cabinet

Registered Member

Default What's in your medicine cabinet

When starting out with discus what would be the best meds to have on hand for the more common problems that should araise. Also what are the most common problems the first-timer should be on the look-out for.

kimmy

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:What's in your medicine cabinet

Metronidazole (hex-a-mit) - Discus dark, hang out in back of tank, don't eat, dark in color, white stingy feces.

Epsom Salt (magnesium Sulfate) - Discus bloated from overeating, constipated.

Regular table salt (rock salt, kosher salt, pickling salt) - mild anti fungal/bacterial, improves gill function.

Carol

Registered Member

Just starting out I would say just plain table salt is enough. Epsom salt is handy and Metro is double handy but not absolutely necessary. If you can get them easily go for it.

I would do research into symtom based diagnosis and treatment methods and techniques before buying medication...

And one last thing, some medications are less potent over time or if not stored properly. Metro for one is light sensitive and should be kept dry and cool.

Chong

Registered Member

What is the standard doseage that you would use in say a 30 gallon tank for the three medications that Carol recommended? Is it safe to say that if you have a 90 that you would triple the doseage or would you need more because of the larger tank. How long do you continue to dose?
    Thanks for the information.

Samcatj

Registered Member

Hi,

Metronidazole:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=4000

Metro loses it's effectiveness after 8 hours or so, I usually vacuum and do a large water change and issue a new dosage every 12 hours (when I get the chance to do it)

Salt and Epsom Salts:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=6339

Salt and Epsom salts last nearly forever in the tank. Make sure you are doing regular water changes, and when you do, add the dosage of salt to the new water (in the correct ratio) so that the tank retains it's total salinity. (ie if you are administering salt and change 10Gal of water, add 2-3 tablespoons of salt to the new water to retain the 2-3 tablespoons per 10 gal ratio).

Heat is also an important part of administering salt and or metro.

HTH!
    Chong

Registered Member

Thank you so much. I will put this to go use when I start getting fish.

Kimmy

Chong, "heat" is not always an important part of administering salt, depends on what your treating for.

Mike

Registered Member

Just thought I point something out, that might seems obvious but might be missed by others.

When treating your fish, you can save on medication by reducing the amount of water in your tank. Just because you have a tank does not mean it has to be filled up to the rim. So if you have a 50 gallon for QT or as a hospital tank for example, reducing the water level can save a tonne of medication.

Just a thot. Also for a hospital tank, I imagine a 20-30 gallon will most likely do.

Cheers,

Chi.

Registered Member

I don't keep a lot of meds "just in case".
    I only have a bottle of Melafix and a box of salt. If I need something else I will go out for it.

Registered Member

I keep a few things around since I import fish wild fish and Asian fish.
    Metro for Hex
    Prazi for worms
    Formalin (37%) for external parisites
    Nitofuransan Green ( Furasan, nitrofurasan, salt and Meth blue)
    This works wonders for bacterial infections, the we are turning dark, our slime is falling off and we are huddled together in a corner waiting to die.
    Meth blue for fungus
    I don't use anything unless I have a problem.
    Clean water and good food work wonders.

All of the straight-forward advice put in simple terms in this thread is really appreciated!

Hi Kimmy!!! Welcome to Simply! ;D

The most important thing in my medicine cabinet is Aquarium SALT!!!! But if you maintain clean water by doing your water changes and feed well and buy healthy fish, you will definitely see the rewards from it through your fish.

I think water quality is a biggy- look at your fish all the time, and you will eventually get a knack for when something is not right. Discus are very moody and they will tell you when something is not right. When they are happy, you will know because they will be totally perked, colorful and swimming happily around the tank.

When they hide in the back, clamp their fins or turn dark- its time to re-evaluate conditions. Make sure your fish are eating, investigate their poop (look for white feces or white worm like poop). When doing water changes make sure you wipe down the glass, so you eliminate slime/bad bacteria growth..... make it CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Look for brown algae (brown algae is a sign of poor water quality). Check their breathing- are they breathing too rapidly? Are they scratching on objects? Are they thin looking? Are their fins ripped or tore? Be alert and get to know your fish-

If you maintain your tank, and give your fish the best, they will reward you, but you must have the time to spend on them....

Weezy ;D