AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ACA2003

Default Re:ACA2003

Wow Joe 12 fish..This year us discus nuts just may take over the show.....Who else plans on placing discus in the show and how many....I plan on at least 2 discus and maybe an angel or two also..............Randy

Thanks Ron now I have no secrets

Tracey

I'll be there,
    Joe You Better Bring More then that! hee.hee.hee
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

:P

I'm planning on one discus. one angel. And one of my specialties, a 14 inch central american, a 10 inch madgascan and a 6 inch african cichlid.

Bruce Duong

Bruce,

Same here. What type of angel are you going to enter? I'm trying to select a DD Black, standard fin.

-Mike T 8)
    www.aca2003.com

Registered Member

Hi, I had 6 discus in Atlanta and 17 other cichlids, I placed two first, one second and four thirds, but none in discus! A friend won the discus catagory with one of my fish, so I can live with that! (I did take first the year before) I'll take 6-8 discus and about 15 other fish. I transport everything just like I would ship them and bring my own water for my discus. They will be shown in 10 gallon tanks, bring you own heater and extension cord, water conditioners, ect. Don't feed them for a few days before the trip and only lightly at the show to avoid ammonia problems. The ACA uses the small size Hydro sponge filters so if you have some cycled you can swap them out.

To far off to pick out which strain of angel or angels I will bring but all of mine(Or should I say my wifes) are super veils..................Randy

This is the Koi angel I will enter. It took 2nd at the OCA for its rookie debut

Nice, I will see if the wife wants to post any pics of hers. She has koi, black leps, silver leps, and others.......

Randy

Randy,

Silver Leps? Any pics? I'm raising some F1 (P.Scalare) silvers right now that are about a week old.

-Mike T 8)
    www.aca2003.com

Tips for preparing discus for ACA show:

#1 Fish must be adult size
    #2 Place fish in tank by itself for at least a month before show
    #3 make sure fish is not easily spooked---Many judges use penlight flashlights to get a better look at the condition of the fish. Use flashlight before feeding the fish at home for awhile. The fish will get the idea that when it sees the flahlight, it is dinner time. The fish will approach the front of the tank and display.
    #4 Water changes are allowed. In International Shows--they are not. It is purely up to you if you wish to feed. Do so lightly. A fish does not show well if it is stuffed due to less activity. a hungry fish moves about the tank. I do not feed mine.
    #5 bring some type of cover for tank top ie. glass, plexiglass, saran wrap.

Transporting a fish to a show.

#1 Do not feed fish for at least one day prior to transport.
    #2 Bag fish in 4) 3 mil bags with oxygen and bag buddies by Jungle.
    #3 Bring your own heater and power strip--they are not provided.
    #4 If possible--bring some of your own clean water.

Discus are not placed in any categorical order. All fish compete on an even basis. Be aware of the opening and closing times of the fishroom and do any maintenance at times provided. If you win--be gracious. If you don't--be humble. It doesn't look good for an adult to go into a tantrum stomping one's feet and crying uncontrollably. I didn't look that bad --did I? Joe :-[

Am not doing any of that Joe!

My Discus love People xoxoxoxxo but more found of women

They will do their job without training! may the best man or discus win!

Best wishes!
    Your Friend
    Cary Gld!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123