ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I do water changes on my 4ft.

Registered Member

Default Re:How I do water changes on my 4ft.

Nice posting, Chong! Thanks for sharing..... I just picked up 3 50gal plastic barrels yesterday for water storage (they came with soy sauce in them, so I have to clean them out first - anything to be concerned about here?), but will then be working on getting them set up for aging/heating the water. I have a total of 370 gallons in 11 tanks, and any way I can reduce the amount of time it takes to change water, I'll do it!

Chong/Anna, I don't know if all Pythons are created equal, but if you have the little shut-off valve on yours, here's a much easier way to start your siphon without using Ye Olde Sucke method and having to race back to the tank to save adventurous corys from taking Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Shut off the valve on the Python, dip the gravel vacuum into the tank and fill it. Lift it up and let all the water in it drain down to the valve and let all the air bubble up and out. Repeat this (usually one more time) to completely fill the vacuum. Then simply put the vacuum in the tank, make sure the valve is somewhat lower than the tank, and open the valve. Viola - instant siphon, no sucking, no running. 8) Cool, huh?

Another question for anyone out there with multiple tanks - and especially with multiple types of fish. How do you go about cleaning/sterilizing your python between tanks? I raise angels, corys, and discus, and don't want to share things between them. Obviously, I could use multiple pythons, but that's sort of a hassle. Would you recommend a hot-water dip of the python, or maybe a bleach-water dip? I've tried both, and both are somewhat of a hassle, but worth not having to change hoses between tanks.

Regards,
    -Don

Don...

I know you don't want the hassle of different hoses but, have you thought of using 2 hoses. One for fill and one for drain. With the drain all I did was purchase individual vac ends to keep the tanks isolated as much as possible. Worked for me...

Julz

Registered Member

I agree Don, Individual Vac ends is what I would do. Perhaps you could use some sort of method simmilar to mine (regular garden hose snap loc joints and fitttings). All you will need then is one main hose that goes to the drain or garden and several indivisual vacuum ends, each with 4-5 ft of hose line and just disconnect and reconnect to a new tank.

Hot water may work but there are still risks involved, esp since the vac is in driect contact with fish feces... for instance I am not sure if hot water kills tape worm eggs or whatever. The best sure fire way is individual vacs and hoses for each tank although this amy be costly to start off with...

Welcome to Simply by the way Don!

Chong

Registered Member

By the way Don, I tried your method of starting the syphon and it works!!! OMG no more Ye Olde Sucke method! LMAO

Thanks mate!!!

Chong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12