AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titanium Heaters

Default Re:Titanium Heaters

Scotz,
    I only use the Via Aquas. They are worth the money.

HTH
    Miles

Francisco and Mench,

I have to say I do not believe a 2% failure rate is good. I'm very concerned about the failure rate. We all know how much the discus cost and what they mean to us. I have also used Jalli 800 w titanium heaters and had one go bad after about 2 weeks. I only have two its not fair to say a 50% failure rate on these, but it too will be a percentage of something. To me this is unexceptable, but I have tried 4 other brands of heaters and had worse results. So untill I find a better heater I'll stick with the Via Aquas.

ViaAquas for me, love'm Dottie ;D

Registered Member

About the "2% failure rate"

I don't know who came up with this "statistic", but it is meaningless, and has the fallacy of all statistics: Statistics don't apply to the individual, only to populations.

This means that if I have a heater, and it croaks, as far as it concerns me, the failure rate is 100%. If I have one and is working, the potential failure rate is 50% : It will either croak or it won't.

As I said, I had 2 ViaAqua stainless 300watt in a 150gal. One croaked and it was replaced by the company. The old one is only 4 months old, the replacement about 1 month.

Cheers, Francisco.

Registered Member

all i know is i never had a single heater fail ever when i kept fish that did well in water lower than 80 degrees. since i have had discus i have had 4 different brands of heaters fail.

is anyone having heaters fail in their tanks with other cichlids or tropicals where the temp is kept closer to 78 degrees?

i also think it is important to consider that if we are overworking the heaters by not providing the right amount of wattage per gallon we are far more likely to cause them to fail. because if they are on all of the time they will naturally build up more internal heat and since all of their electronics are contained in the heater, it seems reasonable to me that they would be more prone to fail.

Francisco,

You are correct. I have come up with the 2% failure rate based on the heaters I personally have and the heaters I have sold (totals over 70 Via Aquas) taking into account the ones that have failed. I'm keeping tract. I expect this number to rapidly increase as the heaters age. Most of these are only 4-5 months old.

Real Name
    Brian

FYI, Big Al's is providing free one year extended warranties, beyond the manufacturer warranty, on all electrical items. I think this includes heaters...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12