ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Free Wheelin Fry.....

Default Free Wheelin Fry.....

Summoning the experts. :P
    I have/had 4 fry (of approx 100) that have do nothing but wheelies (yup like on a motorcycle) since I can remember. I was able to catch 2 for culling but the other 2 are too fast to grab. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and what the cause may be...

Julz

Registered Member

Default Re:Free Wheelin Fry.....

Ok these probably arn't the reasons but first off how old the fry? too young to posture for agression puposes right?

Are they on baby brine shrimp yet? Usually a couple of my angel fry start swimming funny if I get a shell or two mixed in the eyedropper when in feeding baby brine, they cant digest it.

Also I have read 48 hours after hatch out the shell hardens on baby brine shrimp leading to digestion problems for fry.

another possibility is just the numbers game, an older aquarium society member told me in the wild a couple from the spawn may survive the rest are eaten starve or die of illness, whatever the reason nature just culls them.

So its not unusual with (man made fish) to have a couple or few that have swimming problems or are runts or too slow or shy to compete for food leading to some weird swim patterns and death for a few fry.

grrr8guy

Sorry,
    Guess I should have offered a bit more info for those who do not know me...

The fry are nearing 8 weeks fs and real close to 1.5 - 2". No bbs for more than 3 weeks now. The free wheelers eat like the rest if not more because their butts sit on the bottom where the cbw's lay. They have been free wheelin since I would say 2 weeks of fs.... Once I catch them they will meet Mr. General Electric Profile (sorry.. the comedy helps me deal with culling) :P....

Julz

Registered Member

I understand whole heartedly lol , I still only cull out the maimed and crippled lots of people cull the slow growers saying they waste brine shrimp and take up space but I keep pulling them back to the next batch and putting size on them then I take em into the store looking pretty good. An older german lady at our aquarium society told me you cant save the world you know. The same lady told me id end up with 40 tanks lol.

Funny too cause I had visio out the other day sketching out plans for an automated fish room .

grrr8t,
    Speaking of.. that is my next thread....
    Just finished my (semi)automated system. Will be posting the whole da-boot this weekend....

w/c life is grrr8t! grrr8t..... lol

Julz

Registered Member

Well when the ro unit is going I will have a third water change container lol. Right now I have a plastic 45 gallon drum which I use all of every day for my 6 25 gallon and 2 51/2 gallon tanks.

Five of the 25 gallon have different stages of baby angels in them and the other has my pair of discus the male is a blue heckel and the female is very blue snakeskin.

Then I have been using my 20 gallon rubbermaid container to to water changes on my 100, 9o , and 30. the ninety and thirty are community tanks that house one pair of angels each, the hundred has 6 ocean greens a large school of neons (people say I should have gotten cardinals lol) and a few cory catfish and one gold nugget pleco.

sometimes I will do a 12 turnaround on my 45 gallon drum to get the water changes done sooner.

Now I will need one for ro water. The good news is I have a submersible pump for each container. I also found an electrical remote that you plug the pump into and it gives you on and off remote from anywhere in the house.

With a garden hose I can go anyplace in the house and stop and start my water change water by pushing buttons.

I python water out and pump it back from containers then fill containers with the python hose from the tap.

all the fittings on the hose, pumps, and sink are garden hose sping loaded quick release fittings.

yes an automated room is definatly being looked at here lmao.

grrr8guy

gr888guy, What is the connotation ( man made fish ) referencing? Kind of a disparaging remark -especially when the actual diagnosis seems to have escaped you???? There are also cases such as this in nature ( non man made to coin a phrase ) IMO, the problem is with the swim bladder. The sphincter is staying open---hence the tail down attitude. A headstander suffers from the sphincter staying closed ( too much gas buildup ) With such young fish, the headstander would be more of a problem with any food rotting internally causing acute bacterial infection leading to poisoning IMO. Epsom salts maybe could ease the malfunctioning sphincter.

Joe

Joe

Registered Member

Joe

Maybe I should have said fish bred in captivity is that less annoying to you?

Man made fish is a term an aquarium society member used with me to explain why we see some of the things we do with our fish , in the case of the angel it has been bred in captivity for so long now almost all angels are bred that way hence the term man made ther is nothing derogitory meant by the term.

I have been in the hobby for over thirty years and know people who go way further back then me , I talked to one today and he was telling me that when discus first come on the scene the shop owners didnt even know enough about them to tell people about the higher temps required.

When I was a kid most of them were wild caught and you were lucky and imaginative to keep em alive. everyone was using peat instead of ro , there were no conductivity meters then lol.

grrr8guy

Registered Member

By the way I am here to learn what I can and pass along any info I can. If im wrong about somethng or someone has the right answer and comes forward then this board works. Your sphinkster theory might be right.

I have not bred discus and raised the fry, I am here to learn what I can from afar and pass along any tidbits I may get locally.

grrr8guy

Works for me Joe.....

Thanks a bunch

Registered Member

I had the same problem with my fry about 5 out of 30 that hatched had this problem. They were lagging behind in growth so I just considered it a weak fish and culled them.

Registered Member

Hi Julz,
    The fry the wheelie like that all the time are known as sliders in the breeder world. They are perfectly healthy, but have a major misshapened spine that is bent down, instead of up like normal. It is also part neurological due to the spine being in an abnormal shape. The fry will never outgrow this condition and should be culled immediatly. Hope this helps!

-Ryan

Hey thanks Ryan....
    Believe me those buggers are fast... I try to catch them with every w/c. But was curious to know what caused the trouble. :-\ They are quite the eye-sore when admiring the tank and I would ask myself "What the heck" is it me or is it them darned fish? :P

gr88guy, Gr88 answer and gr88 atitude as well. The dissemination of information is paramount to everyone new or old. Thanks, joe ;D

Registered Member

Thanks Enchanted

The person who used to term with me was trying to get me through the culling thing (guilt) when I first started breeding angels. I would love to switch the whole dang operation over to discus lol.

grrr8guy