ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: A wild Idea!!!!

Default Re: A wild Idea!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingborris View Post
    Where have all the pics gone
    Thread was started way back 2003, during a server move/upgrade they got lost I believe, damn shame really.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

maybe we should start another?

Quote Originally Posted by kingborris View Post
    maybe we should start another?
    Why not? Go for it!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Here are a few of my wilds
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

OnyongJun

Here's a few of my Wild Discus. There's 4 Heckels and 2 Browns. I've had the Browns for over two years Supposedly from the Colombia side of the Orinoco. The 4 heckels are either from Rio Unini or Abacaxi. I bought 12 of them about a year ago. Six were from a tank labeled Rio Unini and the rest from a tank that said Rio Abacaxi. Lost track of which is which. The other eight are in a bigger tank with bigger Angels and Clown Loaches.

Talking Re: A wild Idea!!!!

Here's my heckels. Real no?
    Stan Chung

simple but not easy

OnyongJun

My other wild Discus tank.

Down to basics:
    After having a chat with Larry ( Apistomaster) I decide to chuck my hat in the ring, for no other reason than to break the cycle. I posted some time ago about Wilds in the 50's and how in my opinion over the years the King has gone into decline. By that I mean you can buy one to match your wallpaper. fancy colours, fancy names, but most originated from the basic Tefe & Browns. once they were plentyful now it's a different story. I know things change, but as long as it's for the better I will accept it. in this case I don't think it has.
    I visited the Negro and some of the tributaries in the early 60's .and wonder if the ecc'o system has changed since then. and if so how.
    Keeping Heckles has alway's been a challenge, Breeding even more so. I know there are some out there who have, but the info is very sparse. they offer advice but surely if is was that simple we could all do it. I am a bit to long in the tooth (at 67 ) to start a Heckle project. butI would love to see some one doing it.
    I know Tony V. Larry W , Brew and a few more are as passionate as I am and hope the project goes well. Surely the King Deserves this. protect and encourage the Study of the Original Wild Discus.
    I hope more people will get into Heckles and leave the fancy ones to their Wives.( No offence ladies)

Here endeth the sermon!!!

Registered Member

5 heckels from rio negro
    Last edited by fusQer; 01-07-2008 at 03:51 AM.
    90 Planted + couple of Discus
    58 Barebottom Stendker Discus
    29 Barebottom Wild Heckels

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    I posted some time ago about Wilds in the 50's and how in my opinion over the years the King has gone into decline. By that I mean you can buy one to match your wallpaper. fancy colours, fancy names, but most originated from the basic Tefe & Browns.
    Didn't think my first post on this forum would be a rant but I have to come out in favour of this comment.

I used to keep tropicals 35 years ago ( fish house, the works ) and am thinking of getting back into it just for the sake of having Discus this time.

Wow, how things have changed. Discus, while still being beautiful and stately seem to be going the way of the.... dare I say it ???? Guppy. ( or even the goldfish ) All we need is the grotesque finnage and we are there

I love Discus, even though I have never had any, But I think I will be sticking to the wilds if they are available over here ( UK )

Regards
    B-O-F
    ( now standing for 'Boring Old Fart'
    Last edited by B-O-F; 10-19-2007 at 04:11 AM.

Welcome aboard B-O-F!

Yes its true that discus have come along way compared to where they were...or depending on the Point of view, gone a long way from where they were.... But as a keeper of both the old and new...I think theres much that has come out of the new strains that is positive... and much positive still in keeping and breeding wilds.

For instance we would not have a fraction of the information we have now about these fish if they were only kept as wild... This information came largely from the domestication of them and the ensuing interest in keeping them because of what they could be bred to look like.

Don't get me wrong, I'm about as big a fan of the wilds as they come..but once we started breeding wilds...it was all history.

I'm glad to hear that we will have another Wild afficionado on board.. and hope that you'll share with us the adventure in keeping them again.

Take care,
    al

Ps... Paul Lucas at Discus South in the UK may have wilds...I know he has gotten some beauties in the recnt past.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Welcome aboard B-O-F!

Ps... Paul Lucas at Discus South in the UK may have wilds...I know he has gotten some beauties in the recnt past.
    Thanks for that Brewmaster. When the time comes I will talk to Discus South, but it will be a while, If I do it then it will have to be with a fish house and huge tanks which has been my dream since losing the last one

I take your point about what has been learnt, and I could agree with it more if I could believe it was all intensional but I can just 'see' how it happened..... 'Oh look, that baby has developed a solid skin, spots, ( or insert your own disfugurement ) and instead of saying 'lets cull it' they say 'Lets breed it back to mummy/daddy'

I know different people get different thrills from the hobby, ( and I dont really feel that strongly about it ) but I just wish I had been there to ask 'Why ?'
    Regards
    B-O-F
    Last edited by B-O-F; 10-19-2007 at 04:59 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re:I'd like to see them

Hello

I am interested in seeing photos of the
    wilds on these pages, but I don't see them.
    Where are the images. I guess they weren't
    uploaded correctly!

Registered Member

Hi all of you,

I just saw this long (old) thread and wonder really as the previous writer: where are the photos?

If I see them, in most cases I can classify them and tell you where they occur in nature (come from). And naturally I will explain again that names like a "Madeira" discus is not existing in nature, nor a "Curipera" discus. These are invented names and no localities were they occur.

Let s here what you think all in doing this.

Best regards from a colelctor

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquaporess-bleher.com

Registered Member

I think it will be a great idea.I would love this.
    Mr Heiko you are always so willing to help us.I look forward to see this work.
    Greetings from Greece
    Last edited by pan; 06-12-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast