AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: MY FISH ARE DYING NEED HELP...911...

Default MY FISH ARE DYING NEED HELP...911...

LAST NIGHT MY 6 INCH RED TURQ DIED.I DID A 100 % WATER CHANGE 2 NIGHTS AGO BECAUSE THE WATER HAD A FEW BUBBLES ON THE TOP OF WATER AND I NOTICED THAT THE RED TURQ WAS NOT LOOKING TOO GOOD ,IT TURNED VERY DARK ,AFTER THAT WATER CHANGE THE WATER LOOKED LIKE IT WAS BUBLE FREE I EVEN WIPPED THE SIDES OF THE TANK BEFORE I FILL TANK AGAIN.THE NEXT MORNING I SAW A FEW BUBBLES AGAIN ON TOP OF WATER AGAIN ,AND I NOTICED THE RED TURK STILL ALIVE BUT STRUGGLING TO BREATH ITS SWIMMING FACING UPWARDS, MOUTH ABOVE WATER AND AT THIS POINT A SMALLER TURQ IS IN BAD CONDITION,DISCOLORED,WHITE SMALL PATHES ON BODY NOT ICK.SO I LEFT THE TANK ALONE FOR ONE DAY BECAUSE I HAD A LONG DAY AT WORK.SO YESTURDAY ,LAST NIGHT I DID ONE MORE WATER CHANGE,THIS TIME I SCRUBBED THE TANK ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM.CEANED IT GOOD WITH ONLY PAPER TOWELS.I REMOVED THE FILTER A FLUVAL 404 AND CLEANED IT GOOD INCLUDING THE INSIDES OF HOSES OF INTAKE AND OUT PUT.I ONLY HAVE THE BLOCK FOAM AND PUT FILTER FLOSS IN COMPARTMENT MODULES.BUT LAST NIGHT I CHANGED FILTER FLOSS AND THEY AWAY THE FOAM BLOCKS. THEN I PUT WATER BACK INTO TANK , PUT BACK 5 DISCUS FISH INTO TANK ,THEY WRE DONING BETTER THAN THE TWO TURQS I HAD IN SEPERATE BUCKET. ,PUT THE WATER CONDITIONING LIQUID AQUA SOMETHING WITH ALOE VERA,I ADDED A GENEROUS AMOUNT,AND I PUT KANACYN ,TURNED OFF THE LIGHTS AND HOPED FOR THE BEST .THIS MORNING THE TURQS WERE FOUND DEAD,AND THE 5 DISCUS IN TANK DOING BETTER BUT AM CONCERNED THAT THEY WILL GET SICK AND DIE TOO.2 OF THEM ARE ACTING WEIRD SWIMMING BY THEM SELVES IN A CORNER AND STAING ON THE BOTTOM PART OF TANK.1 LOOKS LIKE IT NEEDS TO GO TO TOP OF TANK TO BREATH HERE AND THERE COLOR OK,AND1 IS A COLBAT BLUE DICUS BUT RIGHT NOW LOOKS TO BE ON THE WHITEISH SIDE,AND IS NOT SWIMMING AROUND TANK LIKE BEFORE.CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY REMAINING FISH.THANKS SIMPLY DISCUS CREW.

Default Re: MY FISH ARE DYING NEED HELP...911...

What is the temp?
    Did you age the water, 24hrs with aeration before doing a wc? Often the ph is not stable when first getting water from the tap. Changing ph will stress the fish.

Also, such a lg wc can stress the fish. It is better IMO to do 50% wc at a time.

The filter foam should be cleaned in used aquarium water to preserve the good bacteria.

WHat is ammonia, nitrite?

What size tank? How long have you had the fish? How big are the fish?

hth

ARDAN,I HAVE A 55 GALLON ,THE FISH ARE 2 AND A HALF TO 5 INCH ,RIGHT NOW I HAVE 5 DISCUS LEFT.I KEEP THE TEMP AT 89 ALWAYS I KNOW I SHOULD BE MORE LIKE 86 BUT IM EASING INTO IT SLOWLY ,I HAD 2 THREE INCH DISCUS FOR TWO MONTHS WITH NO PROBLEM IN SAME 55 TANK ,THEN BOUGHT 3 MORE ,THEY WERE DOING FINE FOR 1 MONTH IN SAME TANK , THEN I BOUGHT 2 MORE DOING FINE BOUGHT LAST WEEK ALL FISH WRE IN SAME TANK.ONE THING THAT MAYBE CAN TELL YOU WHY THE FISH DIED THE BUCKET THAT I PUT THE 2 FISH THAT DIED .THE WATER WAS SMELLING LIKE A STRONG ODOR OF FISH AND THE WATER DEVELOPED SMALL BUBBLY SPOTS ON TOP OF WATER.THIS HAPPENED AS FAST AS I CHANGED WATER IN SMALL 5 GALLON BUCKET.ARIAN DO YOU KNOW HAT WENT WRONG IN YOUR OPINION ,THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN.

Hi,
    I don't know what went wrong. But I would test ammonia and nitrite frequently to make sure the biofilter is working.

I would also do 50% wc/day with "aged water" same temp as aquarium. Let it sit in a bucket with a heater and airstone for 24 hrs. (to stabalize ph and get rid of chlorine.

Does your tap water have "chloramine"? Test tap water for ammonia.

hth

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I can see that you are trying to do the right thing :-\ :-\ :-\

I'm guessing several things happened

The big number one is lack of quarantine. The fish you brought home a week ago brought a little surprise in with them.

Number 2: Maybe you killed your filter. Are you rinsing the media (sponges, etc) in chlorinated tap water?

Number 3: Maybe pH shock. You removed the fish, thouroughly cleaned the tank and added 100% new water. Was the pH stabilized and temp the same?

Number 4: did you put all 5 fish in a 5 gallon bucket without extra air/heat/filtration for a couple of hours?

Could bubbly spots be from the extra water conditioner (aloe gunk?)

The fish got sick from lack of QT and you fell prey to the theory that if a little is good a lot is better :'( Check ammonia levels (fishy smell) - even if you over cleaned your filter may bounce right back. Test your water for pH levels at tap and again after sitting on counter overnight. IF there is a large difference between tap and tank you MUST age (agitate) your water or do several small water changes per day.

Your discus have been through a lot of changes - they may not make it. IF not, chalk this up to experience and buy some new ones.

THANKS GUYS ,I AM GOING TO WRITE DOWN YOUR SUGGESTIONS AS SOON AS I FINSH REPLING TO YOU RIGHT NOW,I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED HERE IN A FEW DAYS ARDAN/CAROL ON FISHES HEALTH ,BUT ONE THING IS IT POSSIBLE TO THROW IN NEW FISH WITHOUT QUARINTENE IF FISH LOOK HEALTHY AND EATING GOOD BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DID WITH FISH I BOUGHT LAST WEEK AND THEY ARE DOING FINE ,STILL HAVE HEALTHY ORANGE GLOW, WHILE OTHERS ARE DOING BETTER THAN LAST NIGHT BUT STILL A LITTLE DISCOLORED,AND LOOK LIKE THERE BODIES ARE STRUGGLING TO BOUNCE BACK TO NORMAL.THANKS SIMPLY DISCUS FOR VALUABLE HELP.

HI Hector,

BUT ONE THING IS IT POSSIBLE TO THROW IN NEW FISH WITHOUT QUARINTENE IF FISH LOOK HEALTHY AND EATING GOOD BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DID WITH FISH I BOUGHT LAST WEEK AND THEY ARE DOING FINE ,STILL HAVE HEALTHY ORANGE GLOW, WHILE OTHERS ARE DOING BETTER THAN LAST NIGHT BUT STILL A LITTLE DISCOLORED,AND LOOK LIKE THERE BODIES ARE STRUGGLING TO BOUNCE BACK TO NORMAL

Always quaranteen! There are no exceptions here, unless you feel lucky. I even apply this to breeders that I trust completely. You can never tell what a fish may be carrying. Often times it the new fish that survive, and the fish in the tank are the ones that get sick. This is because the New fish often have become used to the parasites/ pathogens they are carrying. The longer you can quaranteen the better. I like to shoot for 6 weeks myself, as a minimum.Others do less.

You may find this helpful....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...d=1139;start=0

hth,
    al

THANKS BREWMASTER ,YOUR SUGGESTION SOUNDS RIGHT ON THE MONEY ,BECAUSE THE BREEDER I GOT THOSE LAST TWO TOLD ME THAT HE HAD THEM IN QUARENTINE FOR TWO WEEKS AND THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH,I KIND OF DIDNT BELIVE HIM BUT THE FISH LOOKED SO HEALTHY THAT I JUST PUT IN TANK WITH MY OTHER DISCUS ANYWAY ,WHICH MEDICATION DO YOU RECOMMEND AND SHOULD I LEAVE ALL FISH IN SAME TANK WITH SAME MEDICATION.GOOD LOOKING OUT BREWMASTER.

HI EVERYONE,ALL OF MY DISCUS ARE DOING GREAT ,I ORDERED PRAZI QUANTEL BUT DIDNT USE BECAUSE BY THE TIME I RECEIVED THE PRAZI ,ALL THE FISH RECOVERED AND DONT SEE ANY REASON TO MEDICATE ,COLORS CAME BACK,SWIMMING LIKE BEFORE,AND EATING HEARTY ONCE AGAIN. APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT. 8) 8)

Registered Member

;D Great! Frank

Stop the CAPS!!!!!

IM SURE HE WILL FLUXY.....NOW THAT YOU'VE ASKED SO NICELY!!!!!!

TONY!!!! :

Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable ,but please remember that this is a forum for people sharing info on discus,not a get on someones case about something as dumb like watch your caps.With so many other things happening in this country right now im sure you can find something better to do with your time.Anyway thanks again for everone who gave support for my fish ,i m sure they would thank you if they could speak.

Registered Member

Hector:
    Thank you for turning off you "CAPS LOCK" button. It is much easier on the eyes. Typing in CAPs is the equivalent of SCREAMING or SHOUTING in person. There will always be things happening in the country, and we should continue to live our lives, including responding to people on this forum.

Real Name
    Walter

Yes, it's internet etiquette not to use all caps:

http://clarendon.globalnetlink.com/N...E/netiquet.htm