ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: repair old tanks

Registered Member

Default repair old tanks

i got started fixing my tanks when i purchased a cheapone and felt jipped, so i repaired it and has become one of many i have repaired i got to garage sales no matter sometimes they are out side of houses on the way to the dump. a little cleaning and re siliconing and its on. sponge filter and heater some 2x4s and there is my bbtank.

Registered Member

Default Re:repair old tanks

Jesser,
    I too have repaired many an old tank that I purchased used. I will tell you though none of them are inside my house. I don't completely trust the repaired tanks. All used tanks are out in my fishroom (aka garage). If they leak out there it goes out the garage door. No damage to the carpet or wood floors. I should also add that I am home all day so if something starts to leak I can move the fish quickly. I would not trust my discus to a repaired tank if I was away from home all day.
    JMO
    Donna

Registered Member

ya right,
    thats why i repair them to use as garage tanks. but i am pretty confident in my method because i strip all of the old silicone and use high quality silicone to replace it.. but it happened to be a new one that flooded out my carpet and killed some discus. oceanics seemto be the better quality for me. my wife loves the tanks and fish but she makes mereplace anything thats ruined i think i am going to make the whole house ceramic tile floor. 8)

someone suggested on chat to just buy your wife pvc and latex clothes, then no worries if a tank pops ;D

Jason,
    ROFLMAO

Miles