AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heaters, Heaters, Heaters ...

Registered Member

Default Re:Heaters, Heaters, Heaters ...

Regarding Ebo's: I feel that this quality problem is only related to 300W heaters? I think the 100W to 150W are still good quality but yes I will not be buying glass heaters any longer, let alone Ebo's.

Chong

Registered Member

I have had 6 ebo 250w heaters go bad in last 8 months and have given up on them. but this ebo thing has been beaten to death here in the last few months. The old green ones were like gold!

Ken

Registered Member

Try this link. They are having a sale on Won Brother heaters.http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=HT

Registered Member

Maybe you're right Ken...

Chong

Registered Member

Seems like Ebo has lost a lot of customers lately, and their reputation has gone down lately. I as an Ebo fan have gone with the move towards Via aqua-Stainless steel heaters.

3 Via aqua's - no returns
    3 Ebos' 150,250,300Ws - all returns

Just to prove that Ebo seem to be decreasing in quality, this is an extract from email from an Aquarium Warehouse.
    Hi David,
    Sorry to hear you are having problems with another Jager heater.
    Jager have had a major problem with heaters last year and we had many returns..........<cut>.......I would suggest you pick another brand of heater as a substitute as the problem with the Jagers is still not resolved....

Registered Member

Chong,

My ViaAqua says "Titaniumtube Heater" on the box. Is this one in the same as the Stainless Steel? The heater itself does look more like stainless steel - other titanium products i've seen are more of a flat metallic color

sam

Registered Member

I use RENA heaters, works good for me but I have never cross-checked it with a digital one. It has an increment of 0.5-degree Celsius.
    Has any one used these heaters?

Registered Member

Ah heaters,

I'm not going into brands, models, etc.

My new rule is this: ALL heaters can be unreliable. I will now buy a heater and test it in my Q tank for a month prior to using it. If the heater survives the test, which includes bumping the temp to 90 for one week during the trial run, it will be used. I have one in my q-tank now and one in my empty 25 gallon breeding tank which are being tested.

It's the only way to be reasonably sure, IMHO...

John

PS. My heater purchases for 2002 went as follows:

Brand 1: 4 of 7 worked
    Brand 2: 0 of 1 worked
    Brand 3: 0 of 1 worked

Hi Everyone!
    I thought I would never say this cause I allways used ebos.
    Well anyways I just set up a QT room with 6 125 Gal tanks.
    For Wilds that am bring in from Oliver. Well I needed some heaters fast and could not find any other brands but ebos off line.

After all the talk about the problems with the ebos and after buying a few new ones am not so trusting of them anymore!
    So I thought I would try another brand.

Now Don't Yell But I bought the New Visi Therm Deluxe sumersible heaters 250 watts.

All I can say now is WOW! All My 125Gal tanks have 1 heater per each. Not to mention the tanks are set up in the coldest part of My basement. Well to My surprise they are all holding at 87F without a problem. So I guess am Happy with that At $21 each! from a locall pet shop.

HTh
    TakeCare,
    Cary Gld!

Registered Member

WTG Cary, Im using Visitherms now, i love em!

Ken

Registered Member

For what its worth, every visi therm I have ever owned, the glass tube has always cracked on me. so be carefull doing water changes.

just something I have noticed is that a lot of people seem to be using 1 heater to heat thier tanks, be carefull if they ever stick...you will cook your fish. I always try to use 2 smaller heaters to heat a tank instead of 1 large one...not trying to get on a soap box, just learned this the hard way.

Stephen

Hi Yellowsub,

yes I agree with you on the old visi therm's but on these new ones the glass is much thicker and coated!
    HTH
    TakeCare,
    Cary Gld!

I am now using all Won Bros Titaniums at the time and I have noticed a considerable difference when insulating the tanks with styrofoam. In comparison to the tanks upstairs (with no insulation) the heaters are much more accurate. Of course it could be that specific heater but, there are more than one in use without the styrofoam....

Who knows? Maybe just my observation.... :P

Julz

well i currently have
    several ebo's
    1 visotherm
    1 won pro heat

and 1 jalli on the way.

ebo's died almost all at once, some are still holding but most will only do 84 degrees.

visotherm doesn't heat as well as the ebo's did. but still works fine.

pro heat is nice but is too easy to accidentally change the temp by bumping it.

jalli titaniums seem to be reasonably priced and they're titanium so i'm gonna try them.

btw. thanks for the tip on the pro heat's good price on the 250-300 watter's

but the jalli i ordered is 800 watts for 34.95 and it's titanium. so far i haven't seen anyone beat that.

Registered Member

Sam,
    About your question on Via Aqua heaters. They make both titanium and ss. The titanium are much lighter weight and have a rubber cap on the bottom of the heater rod. The ss do not have the cap and are quite a bit heavier. I have both and see no difference in their ability to hold the proper heat.
    HTH
    Donna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast