ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Breeding Discus

Registered Member

Default Breeding Discus

I no I haven,t posted for a while. ;D ;D I have been busy with a new horse we bought and are in the process of building a new tack room so have been pretty busy. I need some info on bredding Discus. I need to know how many gallons it takes to breed Discus comfortable. ??? ??? Also, I would like to know how many Discus you can put in a 55 Gallon. ??? I think I can but 6 in a 55 what do you think? Thanks for any advice or help you can give me. Karin

Default Re:Bredding Discus

Karin, When bredding discus, I use Gold Medal All Purpose Unbleached Flour. I dip the discus in the flour--then into two eggs, adding a bit of cracker crumbs ( no discrimination intended ) and a few drops of hot sauce. Pan Fry at medium heat for 3 minutes per side. Then get Emeril to Bam! Kick it up a notch!!!!!

Don't sick Harry on me--I'm just kiddin' ;D

I like 29 gallon tanks for breeding. Some use 20 gallons. I like the extra stability I get from more volume.

I think 6 discus in a 55 is a beutiful thing!!! 8) Joe

Default Re:Bredding Discus

hi Karin. i have 30 gallon square tanks.but also have some in regular old 33 gallon tanks and their working great. i agree with joe..a bit bigger hte water stays better.
    are you fish pairing up? how are those fish you got here?
    nice to see you again.
    ok.joe is having a go at you cause you had breeding spelt bredding. lol.
    i fixed the first one...lol.
    joe your a big tease.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Breeding Discus

29 gallon is a good size. Move all the babies to the 55 at three weeks. You can keep them there quite a while if you do big water changes

Registered Member

Default Re:Breeding Discus

Hey Joe, nice to talk to you been awhile. As to your Gold Medal suggestion. I have tried that and it doesn,t work well when Karin is around. ;D ;D Someday I will learn to spell as well as you and then I will be good to go huh? Thanks everyone for your input. Harry & Karin.