ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To discus or not to discus?

Registered Member

Default To discus or not to discus?

Hey all,

What a wonderful forum you guys have here. I love it already!

I've been in love with discus since the first time I saw one at the LPS. But the price has always scared me away.

I was at one of the smaller LPS's on saturday, they had a new shipment of discus in (cobalt blue's) Mostly under 2", unfortunately they've contracted Ich.

The owner apparently brought them in for her show tank, and now wants to sell them to free up her sales tanks (she doesn't usually quarantine apparently : ) 6 discus for the regular price of one...

Do I dare? I was planning to pick up a new 55g this weekend anyway (I've got a cycled filter I can put in it)

I'm relatively sure of why they got the ich, talking to the staff they didn't allow for any acclimatizing time (Ok, well 2 hours to go from a ph of 7.2 with gh of 10 to the local ph 7.8 with gh >30) and the tanks are kept at 76degrees. We wont even get into they're use of peat bags in that tank, and ph adjusters (in reaction to the ich).

In other words they weren't properly acclimatized, and they're in a tank with unstable water conditions.

What do you guys think? I stopped in today the offer still stands, the fish are so far still alive (but they are ich covered and huddled behind the heater)

Andy

Default Re:To discus or not to discus?

Where do you live? If its Minnesota- I'll give you some free fishies! I have tons of babies left! Personally, I would not start out with sick dicus - it may become defeating. I would start with a healthy stock. Just my opinion...

Weezy ;D

Registered Member

Weezy has got a good point. It is a risk and you may end up with six dead fish and a loss of interest in owning discus.
    On the other hand, many of us started with LFS rescues and ich is easy to treat (salt and heat - you've probably already read about it in the disease section). You may end up with six beautiful fish who owe you their lives.
    Your call, and welcome to Simply!

Hi Andy
    Welcome to Simply!!!!!! There's a few of us Albertans here!!! I sent you a private message,I await your reply!!
    Darcy

Welcome Andy..im one over in B.C. close enough lol.
    yes...talk to darcy.
    if the heat was cranked up to 86..the ick would vanish but they may be stressed...'
    if their young enough and not runted...then they could be ok.
    well glad you enjoy simply..and stay around. let us know what you decide.

Registered Member

I wouldn't buy sick discus even for a good deal, its best to start of with healthy discus. As most people say on this forum "a good discus is not a cheap one." If you find a real cheap discus then you know their probly is something wrong with it.

LOL Andy! Just finished with responding on myfishtank! ;D
    Of course, simplydiscus is the messageboard you want to be on for discus.

Like Ralph and April, if it is only ich, I would not have a problem with it since ich is quite easy to treat. Certainly, you have to realize that the discus you may be buying are not show stoppers. Then again, why would you want to spend a lot of money on your first discus only to perhaps lose them from unexperience. I started with buying from a breeder in Red Deer. I insisted on runts because being my first discus, I did not want to spend $400 and lose them. Im very glad I only spend $100 for 6 discus because I did lose some but I learned a lot along the way.

Registered Member

Hi Andy
    I am a Calgarian so I am not that far away .
    Take my word for it do not- do not start with sick fish.
    It is enough of a job just to keep them healthy to start with . there is people around like Darcy and Tony plus others that will help you get started .
    Two things I should tell you as a beginer to discus myself .
    One is to listen
    The other is to do as your told.
    Welcome on my behalf
    Ken

Registered Member

Welcome Andy,

I would think it is more due to the water temp then the acclamation. An hour doesnt sound unreasonable to me. Anyone who would keep them at 74 degrees obviously doesnt know how to care for them.

Wow! Dale! I didnt even notice that. No wonder!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Andy, welcome to Simply

Which should you buy - a car that's had sugar poured in it's gas tank or for $100 more one that hadn't?

Don't start with sick, stressed, improperly cared for discus.

Registered Member

Ok sorry to argue..........

6 fish that may or may not be show fish for $45 - $60?

Do It!

the reasons are these, assume you just threw that money down the drain and forget the cash.

It may be simple to bring these fish back, it may be hard.
    One thing is for sure they are as good as dead sitting where they are and the longer you take to decide the worse they will be.

I you use these fish to learn on then you haven't lost alot of cash.

it will show you if you are dedicated enough for discus without killing good fish.

imagine how proud you will feel if they turn out ok.

anddddddddd you can easily get rid of them and start again if thing don't turn out right with one main thing going for you, experiance at low cost.

i know there are more reasons but the main one is a cheep learning experiance and a good backing behind you (simply)

HTH

Larry

P.S My 1st fish 8 years ago were $150 each, are they alive now? OUCH..... Am i GUTTED great specimines are not alive today.... absolutly!

I wouldn't take them if they were free. I will never understand the logic of buying sick fish, hoping that they will recover. Most people recommend against buying any fish from a LFS, but to go to known breeder instead. But somehow that logic gets tossed out the window if the fish are near-dead. I'd pass on the sick ones and invest in some healthy fish from a breeder.

Dave

I agree with Dave...Also, you have to factor in other things besides the cheap price of sick fish...What if you need to purchase meds to bring them back to health?? What about the costs of food?? And your time?? I bought some fish that looked sick once-never again...Most of the breeders offer reasonable prices on very small(young) fish...Why not buy a dozen 1-2 inch fish and grow them out?? You might end up with a couple culls at that size, but at least you're starting out with something that's healthy....
    By buying the sick fish from an LFS you're just encouraging them to keep getting discus and mistreating them...

Ok! People! Lets think about this for a second! They have ICH, not malaria! I agree with larrylob! If it had not been for the breeder that I was able to purchase 6 runts from, I would of never considered going into discus in the first place if I had to dish out $400 for 6 beautiful discus only to have them die from unexperience.

Which of the 2 scenerios would be more of a disappointment? Losing 6 discus plus $400 or 6 discus plus $100. If I would of been able to spend $400 for my first discus (my wife killing in the prosess) and I even lost one of them, I probably would be considering throwing in the towel pretty quick! Losing any fish is not a pleasant experience, it hurts even more if it is worth $60-80! What a better way to discourage beginners because they can not afford it!

Now that I have kept discus and learning thru simplydiscs/experience, I feel comfortable in spending $80-120/discus.

Other considerations in Andy's case. Most of us do not know where Fort McMurry is! It is what? 4-6 hours drive from Edmonton? Shipping would be outragoues by air. Driving to Edmonton, well, a long day's trip unfortunately there are not many breeders in Edmonton either (some that I do know of but do not respond to e-mails). Therefore, having 6 discus for the price of 1 is a steal. Like larrylob says, if you come thru, Andy will have 6 discus for the price of one. I also mentioned that these discus will not be 'show stoppers'.

Taking it all into consideration, if it does not work out, Andy is out $45-60. I do not think Andy will give up as these as not his fish first. He is also breeding other types.

In the end, it is Andy's decision! I also mentioned to him to make it clear that he is only to buy the discus if ICH is all they have. Nothing else and that if they do not make it, the lfs be willing to give him in store credit! This could be a win-win situation for him!

Just my thoughts from similar experiences!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast