ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Breeding Timeline

Default Breeding Timeline

It seems to me that a question that comes up on here a lot is what to expect as soon as a pair lays eggs. I think it would be nice if someone could just write up a timeline for eggs and then make a sticky for it or something. I'm curious myself as I had my pair lay eggs without eating them for the first time yesterday. I'll post pics in a few min. But I think it would be really helpful if someone would put together a new thread about breeding timeline with what to expect.
    thanks

Default Re:Breeding Timeline

Egg Laying

Fertilization

Female Guarding

Male Guarding

The Pair

It's amazing how arrowheaded the camera makes these fish look when they appear very round in person. I think it has a lot to do with the angle I had to take the pictures at, which I had to do because of where the eggs were lain.

Registered Member

I agree, it would be helpful.

But your discus are really nice, you should get some interesting offspring from them

good luck

Registered Member

hey seadiscus great pics
    i just wanted to ask how do u take pictures of your discus, when i try the flash of camera bounces on the photo if i take photo without flash they just are too dark.

Good luck!!

Hi,
    I really like that male, what is he? I think it is a beautiful fish!

Good Luck! Hope they hatch! 8)

Niranjan,
    The secret to using the flash is to take the picture at an angle. This way the portion of light that gets reflected off the glass does not come back to the lens, but rather goes off onto the other side of the room. Hope that helps!

Ardan,
    I bought him from Tim at US Discus when he was about 5 inches. He told me the fish is a Blue SS x Leopard, and I believe him, for I hear that a good portion of fish from that cross do not exhibit any of the leopard spotting. There is some spotting in his fins, but I do not know if that is normal with Blue Snakeskins. Either way, he's a gorgeous fish and he is about 7" right now. If you use a rubber ruler he's a good 7.5" or even 8 inches.

The eggs are starting to darken up...a good sign I believe. They're 42 hours old right now, so I should know before too long. The parents seem to fight sometimes over who gets to guard the fish. Anyone have experience with this?

So, could anyone more experienced than I write up a timeline for me?

Brad

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Timeline can vary by temperature and maybe other factors.

Here's my last spawn. . . . 29 gallon tank

December 2, Eggs laid laid, fertilized ones turn dark about 24+ hours later - hatched about 55 hours later

December 4, Wrigglers, GH6, pH 7.6 (Mom removed)

December 6, Freeswimming 82 degree water (counted as day born

December 13, Eating BBS

December 19, Picking at CBW

December 24, still w/dad eating BBS, CBW

December 26 eating CBW

December 27, moved dad

January 2, moved babies to 55 gallon

thanks Carol

maybe someone should draw that up to generals, like a mod (no dates), and make it sticky so people don't have to ask that question all the time and people don't have to answer it all the time.