ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water parameters for breeding

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arturs Millers

Default Water parameters for breeding

Hello guys so thing is . I would love to breed some discus today i finally approved that i have proven pair my community tank . They been laying eggs like 5 times but never notice a wigglers until today notice 1 - 3 after like half hours they were eaten ofc .. and all the other times 95% turned white and so on .. so i started to search google for answer and i found that the hatch rate is low in hard tap water so i did a check on my water so my
    Ph is 7.5 - 8.0 arround there
    GH 9 - google told it should be arround 4 or so ..

So my question is what should i do about the water chemistry . I have ro/di unit have 140liter high tank , i dont know really anything about keeping ph on spot . All my years been using my tap water and without need to use some buffering and stuff . I found that people use product called seachem buffer for discus to get the values for breeding and staff some use just ro water mixed with tap water .. so guy can you help me to figure out whats the best thing to do and how ?? Oh btw have some seachem trace elements for discus if that can do any good ..

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Water parameters for breeding .

Arturs,get yourself a TDS meter,mix your RO water with tap water and aim for TDS of below 100 ppm. If you do not get a successful hatch at a TDS of 80 ppm,go lower and try by lowering the TDS to 60.I do not try to adjust the pH with my breeding pairs.The pH of my tap water is 8.2 and mixing 70% RO water the pH drops to 7.2.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arturs Millers

I have a tds meter on my ro unit the tap what comes in is arround 150 tds .. can i use the tds from my ro/di or should i just get like thouse cheap ebay hand hold tds meters ??

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by artursm15 View Post
    I have a tds meter on my ro unit the tap what comes in is arround 150 tds .. can i use the tds from my ro/di or should i just get like thouse cheap ebay hand hold tds meters ??
    Hand held one comes very handy when checking the TDS of the water in the tank or when mixing tap water with RO water in the aging barrels.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arturs Millers

Just ordered one should arrive in couple of days then i will try to hit arround 80 tds and see what happens .. thank you alot for information