AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatching timeline

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Hatching timeline

Thank you chirohorn! This is an excellent article with pictures by Henry Kong of Discus1.com

Registered Member

[quote author=chirohorn link=board=6;threadid=7405;start=0#84670 date=1047490192]
    Here's an another excellent timeline w/pics:

http://discus.home.attbi.com/discusgrow.htm
    [/quote]

Thx Chirohorn, this helps, btw in the third picture it says "4 day old free swimmers" is it meant by 4 days after free swimmers or 4 days after they hatched?
    Gnome.

4 days after freeswimming . . . . first day freeswimming is considered birthday

Registered Member

got it carol, thanks.....
    I'm now beginning again to try in planted since I don't dare to pull out the eggs so i will leave them and see if they'll survive, but this time I won't t do the same mistake like last time ( last time the eggs are lost between the gravels) now I put a firm flat plastic around under the cone so they can pick up the eggs that fall w/ out having trouble w/ the gravels, see if they will survive...

The numbers Carol has given are approximates & will vary according to temperature for hatching & free swimming. Knowing when to remove babies from the parents often comes with knowing the individuals in the pair . Sometimes you will need to remove one parent or the other to prevent egg eating or fry eating or fighting. Other times neither parent is good & eggs need art. rearing ( if they are important) . Light cycle also can play a part in the time line. Ususally i would recommend seperating the fry after about 10 days of free swimming . By this time they should be all eating BBS & nibbling on other things. After this often their insistant nibbling on the parent will cause the parent to eat them or kill them in a confined tank when normally in the wild they would just swim away.

hth

DW

http://wilddiscus.com

Real Name
    Willie

After a couple of spawns under your belt, you can push for a little better growth by supplementing with bbs early on. All these times are based on Days Free Swimming (5 - 6 days after spawning).

Day 4 - Start feeding bbs. Frys will learn quickly to eat bbs. Parents quickly adapt to having your hand in the tank -- it gives them a break.

Day 11 - Pull babies, continue with bbs feeding.

Day 14 - Start weaning them to macrofood. I start with minced beefheart. They usually adjust within 24 hours.

This picture was taken when wrigglers first hatched. The frys are now 5 days free swimming, on the back of the Alenquer parents. They get a squirt of bbs whenever I walk past their tank.

Willie

P.S. Gnome: Those frys have very little chance of surviving in a planted tank. Plan on a bb breeder tank.

Registered Member

Hi all

I've stumbled accross your site today to find carol seems to be a active breeder, for give me if I'm wrong here...

I've attached a pic of the male that I have, I kept the pair for over a year and half now, and thought about breeding them, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions etc, as this part of the hobby I'm new to, thanks for the time in reading this, I would be grateful of any advice, since I did not know this site exsisted till tonight...

Thanks in advance Wayne

Hi Wayne and welcome to Simply Discus
    There are many people who post here that are very experienced with breeding discus. Feel free to ask any questions you want. There is a wealth of information on this site . . . You may answer a lot of your questions just reading other threads in this section

Registered Member

hiya carol & everybody,

this a great site!

i have had a couple of discus in a community tank and low and behold they just started laying eggs last week to my surprise

So all of a sudden im a breeder/daddy
    have moved the eggs and parents to a spare 80 gal.tank i had and today the eggs have hatched

so i have 30 wrigglers,is that many?,was wondering what a normal batch no.was ?

also whats bbs and cbw?

when and what should i feed them and do i need a filter in the tank?

thanks for your help n advance

james

Registered Member

Hi James,

I'm new here too.

BBS=baby brine shrimp
    CBW=california black worms

don't ask for more from me, that's all I know,LOL ;D
    I am also learning.

You can ask your LFS (oops---local fish shop) if they have this fish food available.

I am just concern to give you quick idea so that you can feed your babies tonight w/ bbs or cbw.

jovel

Registered Member

cool thanks

im slowly getting up to speed ...
    what r u doing in jeddah?
    my brother is going to move and work there next week
    im on msn messenger jamesdeannn@hotmail.com if u have that

james

Registered Member

Hi James, I'm a computer guy, Computer Engineer. I work for a Shipping Co. I'm originally from Philippines.

Your brother is coming up here from NZ to work???
    Hmmmm... ???Which company in Jeddah? Is he coming from NZ directly?

Maybe I can be of help to him in some sort.
    my email: jovelm@aetshipping.com

Will he be bringing-over here some discus?? ;D

Regards,
    Jovel

Guys this happened today..thats the mom..the father is on the other side ,i read all the helpful info above but the issuse of lighting im not clear on...do i keep the light on for 24 hours or more during the dads fertilization..Carol please help..its my first time and seems everyone is out of town that helps me on these things.

Hi Hector:
    I keep the tank light off and a small room light/lamp on 24/7. this gives them the privacy and quiet they need with just enough light so they don't spook when you come in the room

Thanks Carol..thats what they guy i bought the pair from told me to use on the daily ..night lights ,but i forgot to ask him about lighting once i got eggs.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast