AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatching timeline

Registered Member

Default Re:Hatching timeline

Hi Carol! I was just wondering how your pair succeeded in spawning considering the ph level is 7.6 and according to the books i read previously, the ideal and satisfactory ph level for breeding discus is between 5.5 to 7. Ph 7.6 is alkaline and discus love soft or acidic waters. Does this mean that discus could be bred in ordinary tap water? Hope you could elaborate more on this query of mine coz my discus just paired off a few days ago and i'm expecting them to spawn any time soon. If PH 7.6 will not harm the eggs then i wouldn't have make any more adjustments w/ the water parameters since i grew them out on tap water. Thanks in advance. :-)

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

My tap water is toohard for eggs to hatch, so I mix RO with my tap. I believe the hardness of the RO/tap mix was around GH 6 and pH 7.6. I don't have huge spawns - maybe 80 - 100 babies, but that is more than enough for me.

Registered Member

Hey guys and girls

The time line is a great idea. Can I suggest someone do another timeline for say " how to get a pair to spawn"

eg. day 1 drop temp to 27 , do 20% w/c etc etc etc

it would be good to see how experienced or profesionals get there fish breeding, or if we can correlate some similarities through a time line.

Regards
    Nick76

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Carol..............I notice that you take the female away as soon as the eggs are laid. Is this always the case or does it depend on the pair.
    Are you just seperating the pair with a barrier or do you actually remove the female?
    If you take the female out where do you put her? In a community tank or on her own?
    Do you ever put her back in after the eggs have hatched?

Jim

Hi Jim:
    I just raise one spawn at a time, so I pull the female if she looks like she wants to lay eggs again. Either the male or the female can be pulled. I put her in another tank by herself if I have one open - otherwise a divider works. I wouldn't put her in a community tank by herself as the other fish might gang up on her. I have never tried to put a fish back after pulling it. Usually the fry are 7 or more days freeswimming before I pull the female.

In the timeline above the reason the female was pulled is that she was scheduled to leave for Texas with John Nicholson.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Carol : the problem I am having is that both my female ss are eating the eggs. I think that I may have to try the divider trick.
    Thanks
    Jim

Registered Member

Hi i'm new!!! I have a pair of discus which jus gave birth 3 days ago. They are all eaten up by the third day which is today. if the colour of the egg is red, is it not fertile? or is there any other possibilities tt it is something to do with the unhealthy egg or sperm? ???

If they haven't turned black by day three either the male did not fertilize the eggs or the water is too hard (high in minerals)

Hi theholidayfarm, welcome to the board

read this 2 threads

1. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...threadid=16210

2. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...threadid=15828

HTH

[quote author=theholidayfarm link=board=6;threadid=7405;start=30#msg162124 date=1074398388]
    Hi i'm new!!! I have a pair of discus which jus gave birth 3 days ago. They are all eaten up by the third day which is today. if the colour of the egg is red, is it not fertile? or is there any other possibilities tt it is something to do with the unhealthy egg or sperm? ???
    [/quote]

Registered Member

Carol,

I have a pair that spawned in the evening of 2/16/04. Both parents seemed to be very cooperative.

What day should I start brewing the BBS for the fries, counting from the day they hatched (which is just in the wee hour this morning, 2/19/04)?

gw

Day 4 or 5 freewswimming

Registered Member

Carol,

Thanks for your quick response. But I'm still confused!

Do you mean "day 4 or 5 freeswimming" to begin feeding the BBS or to begin setting up for a brine shrimp hatchery?

gw

Start hatching them then and feed after 24 hours -or however long it takes. Mine really don't eat them good until about day 7

Registered Member

Ok. So the fries will be grazing on their parents for 4, 5 days before they eat BBS! And I should start the Brine Shrimp hatchery at day 4, 5 free swimming!

Thanks Carol.

gw

That's what I do.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast