AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light level thru glass lid

Registered Member

Default Re:Light level thru glass lid

Yup! It's balancing out again and I am tickled....for my big treat, last night I threw 2 dozen cardinals I have been QTing for 10 weeks into the big tank and it was just fabulous!!! The discus wondered if this was some new kind of candy briefly but then they gave up....everybody's being very civil! In a couple weeks I'm going to drive out to Cary's again (about 5 hours) and pick up my last batch of babies and call it a day. I have 9 good sized juvies and a humble assortment of dither fish in this planted 180 and I am just LOVING it!
    Best regards all,
    Harriett

Registered Member

Cardinal treats hmmmmm yum.

Registered Member

It IS amazing that I am losing over a gallon of water a day to evaporation with no glass to lock it in! Used to lose about 2-3 gallons a week max. Glad my cats haven't figured out that it's better fishin now than before!

Registered Member

Harriet,

Oh what a nice big tank...maybe I should re-name myself thejealousone!!!

I'm curious not about evaporation, but by loosing heat. Did you have to crank up the heater to keep it at a constant temp. once you removed the tops?

Registered Member

I haven't found much cause for heat loss with an open top. In fact, I'm sure my lights increase the temperature while they're on.

Registered Member

Well, not exactly. I have a big wet/dry in the cabinet under the tank and have 2 300w heaters in the sump that I never crank up that much. The lights put out a lot of heat (good in winter, not so good in summer). I did notice about a 3 degree drop when I nixed the glass plates and so just adjusted one of the heaters up a bit. End of problem.
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Registered Member

Good point Phil! 8)

Registered Member

Yeah, good point, Phil! hee hee hee
    Harriett

Registered Member

Forgive me guys....it's my environment here, living in the coldest state in the nation (MN) Plus, I've never owned any discus....I'm really hung up on the heat thing

Which plants will take the heat (almost all)

Do certain backgrounds keep the heat in (like styro under the tank)

Tops vs. no tops (3 degrees difference = not much)

I'm in a learning mode here so i thank you all. I've never had any big tanks with fancy lighting, but someday.... sigh
    The other night at our Aq. Society meeting, we listened and saw pictures of a guys homemade plywood tanks.

They kept gettign bigger and BIGGER till soon they were sittign on concrete blocks and needed six guys to lift them EMPTY!!

Registered Member

Just wanted to share what happened--my original question was about removing the glass plates and asking for feedback on flying fish. I felt pretty confident after everybody's advice (thanks for feedback, everyone). I took them out a couple weeks ago. Friday afternoon one of my teenagers fed my guys and left the canopy hinge open (creating a space about 8 inches wide at the front of the tank that was open). My favorite gold pigeon (NO peppering, brilliant gold with red/blue fin coloration, > 6" from Cary that I raised from a little pup) did a kamakazi and was found as a crispie some time later by the then hysterical teenager. I am SO BUMMED. I still want to go without the glass, but have learned the lesson about keeping the canopy lid down...the hard way. I have never seen any of my guys try and jump. Guess it was just one of those things. I'm driving out to Cary's in a few weeks when he gets back so I'll try again. He has a gorgeous pair of gold pigeon breeders...maybe he's got youngsters. Crap, I'm bummed....so's my poor kid. I swear I'm wondering if that one bad cat got in and scared them. (The good cat just sits and stares, the bad cat wants to go fishing and so isn't allowed in that part of the house....but he can be a sneaky little devil. He leaps at the glass...sure is a good mouser, though.)
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Registered Member

Harriet,

I've had very reliable sources tell that glueing a strip of glass or plastic an inch or so wide around the inside of your tank will keep fish from jumping out. The rational being that fish jump because they are scared and run in a straight line, come to the glass, and swim up because they have nowhere else to go. This way they'll end up with a bumped nose, but they'll stay in the tank.

Registered Member

AHH, that's an idea! For the moment, keeping the canopy closed and kicking myself in the *** for not being clearer with my well intended family. Jeez, it was a great fish.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Harriett

Registered Member

Harriett,

Another option, Killifish owners often lower their water level. In the case of discus, it would have to be 4-5" (I don't know, I don't own any discus yet)

Light travels through air easier than through water so the plants do well. The fish jump, they just don't get to jump OUT.

We all feel for you. It's hard to loose a good fish for any reason, but especially for a stupid reason like it was frightened and decided to go flying!

When it happens, its usually my most pretty, most healthy fish!! just a bummer. Sorry for your loss.

Registered Member

Thanks for feeling my pain, baglady! Good suggestion, though I like the look of the tank full--I thnk I'm going to go with just being diligent about keeping the canopy lid down--there's nowhere for those fishies to go except back down into the tank, for the most part if I do that.
    It is wierd how the other fish seemed to act the 2 days or so after the suicide...everybody looked fine, ate fine, etc. but they seemed a little odd--like subdued? Certainly the pecking order was scrambled a bit. But, since their brains (and so presumably memories) are the size of a pea, they've now returned to their regular fishie selves.
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Registered Member

I have seen so many "Far Side" cartoons about fish suicide, but when it actually happens, it's such a bummer.

I have a good killie friend who has a very large tank with lowered water level and it looks really cool. A lot of the plants grow emergent, out of the water, and flower etc... Some of the crypts, that's the main way to tell which one you have...by the flower. It's just another option. He has no top on this tank, just the lights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast