AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluval 304 or AquaClear 500?

Registered Member

Default Fluval 304 or AquaClear 500?

Dear Friends:

I'm thinking about improving my filtration on my 50g Discus tank. I've been using a Millennium 2000, but to be honest I'm not satisfied. What should I do? Buy an AquaClear 500 or a Fluval 304? Here in Brazil they don't differ much in prize, that's why I'm asking... I've read an old thread and it seems to me that everyone dislikes Fluvals... Am I right?

Cheers,

Lauro.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Fluval 304 or AquaClear 500?

You are right. I've used both and my Fluvals (which still work) are in the closet. All my power filters are Aqua Clears. The Aqua clears keep the tank cleaner and are easier to clean.

Registered Member

Hi Lauro ;D,
    I am with Carol,
    We should get together Carol and have a Filter Garage sale! :-\
    I have All Aqua clear filters and if I were to buy a new filter....I would always choose Aqua Clear I have had No problems with them.. and Like them better than others for the reasonS Carol stated.
    HTH
    Karen

Registered Member

Thank you Ladies! So what's the big fuss about Fluval? At least here in Brazil they are considered the filters "real aquarists use"!

Best regards,

Lauro.

Registered Member

AquaClear--Yes!

Fluval--No!
    AquaClears are better for so many reasons there are not enough words available at this hour of the night to tell you.

I use both and find they both serve a purpose. I love my fluval 304's, by the way it's what I have on my 75's. You want to talk about a filter that can handle a bio load. I kept 180 1 1/2 to 2 inch red turks in it for weeks. And guess what my ammonia and nitrite levels were through out??? 0 , nill, not-a, nothing. I also keep 15 LARGE discus in a 75 with a fluval, have for a long time. And guess what, you got it NO PROBLEMS and my water is crystal clear SO PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT !!!!!!!!! lol Love Jim & Diane

Registered Member

I've tried that, but the fluvals wouldn't crunch up into small enough pieces and just couldn't get them lit. ;D Cuban cigars are better. LOL

Try dring them out first teheeeeeee!!!!

Lauro,

The canister filters are great for bio-load but can be a pain to clean. Beav will admit that after he cleans the filters and comes back. The aquaclear is a breeze to clean. So what do you do?

I run an Eheim on my large tank with an aquaclear. I use two filter pads in the aquaclear so I don't have to play with carbob. Tank stays clean. Fish like it. The tank is super filtered...

Registered Member

Well, I haven't decided yet... But Carol and Karen have made me think... Anyway, Hagen will get my money.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Lauro : I have a fluval 404. I thought that it was the best thing going until my power went out. Being enclosed the good bacteria die very quickly and I ended up with "New Tank Syndrom". This happened 3 times. Also, cleaning the Fluval hoses are a real pain. Mine is now stored in the closet and I use AC's and I also have a Emporer 280 which I also use.

Jim

I have 304 and 404's and have never had a problem....me personally I don't like to see the filter hanging of the back.....I like it hidden under the tank....
    When you get a routine....you can clean a 404 in less than 10 minutes....Put a prefilter on the intake and you won't have to clean it that often. I don't know why others have such a problem...

John

Registered Member

I have owned Aquaclears and Fluval canisters and I have to say that Aquaclears are - easy to clean, energy efficient, long lasting, inexpensive, and keep the water clean.

Fluval cannisters are hard to clean, the seals are a pain in the &$$, have impeller problems and the water is less clean than the Aquaclears.

The advantage is that you can put the canister under the tank stand.

JMHO,

John

John (DD)
    I really don't know what you guys are doing....but I have never had a seal or impeller problem in 10 years...and my water is crisp and clear...
    I will give you that the AC500 maybe easier to clean, but the 404 is not hard to clean, handles one hell of a load, silent also energy eff, and out of site....
    JMHO....
    but then what the hell do I know......

John

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

John : My biggest complaint is the hoses...........how do you clean them. If you casn convert me I will start using them again. My two are mothballed for the time being. I hate just seeing them sitting there.

Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast